black monday ......and earlier firings

Country469

Test drove one, I thought it rode it find, she wasn't a huge fan. Haven't eliminated it by any means, I'm voting for low price. She keeps trying to get an suv. You have one kid and a 4 min commute, I should get her a damn smart car.

3XC

Big Truss
Women ****ing love SUVs, because they get to be "big" in them. They feel safe, even though the objective crash data says SUVs are more likely to be in one vehicle accidents, and those are quite deadly (hitting a tree/wall/whatever that is immovable and will instantly decelerate your vehicle to a dead stop is many, many times more dangerous than hitting another car of the same size - weird but true - you are way better off hitting another car head-on at 50 than a tree at 50, even if the closing speed is 100 mph)

Anyway, nobody ever said women were rational creatures governed by logic.

Country469

I've worked minimum 3 DOA's with suvs into trees, that info is dead nuts on.

I would actually love a van. Take the 3rd row seats out for the dugs and clubs. little 4 cyl gas mileage.

Hell, I've already given up on the whole masculine thing.

AydenB00

The Rookie
Women ****ing love SUVs, because they get to be "big" in them. They feel safe, even though the objective crash data says SUVs are more likely to be in one vehicle accidents, and those are quite deadly (hitting a tree/wall/whatever that is immovable and will instantly decelerate your vehicle to a dead stop is many, many times more dangerous than hitting another car of the same size - weird but true - you are way better off hitting another car head-on at 50 than a tree at 50, even if the closing speed is 100 mph)

Anyway, nobody ever said women were rational creatures governed by logic.

funny you say that, wife drove my truck for the first time in a year or so. first thing she said 'I miss being up tall" she went from an suv.

3XC

Big Truss
I've worked minimum 3 DOA's with suvs into trees, that info is dead nuts on.

I would actually love a van. Take the 3rd row seats out for the dugs and clubs. little 4 cyl gas mileage.

Hell, I've already given up on the whole masculine thing.
High center of gravity/higher weight/misplaced confidence due to "safe" all wheel drive, which doesn't do jack **** in wet conditions on bad tires. AWD is mostly hype. Extra drive wheels don't make up for bad driving.

Anyway, I saw some **** about the physics of hitting immovable objects versus something that deforms/rebounds. Its the difference between jumping 10 feet onto concrete or 20 feet into jello.

Country469

Reverend C taking the pulpit today, the choir is pleased.

1. 4 wheel drive is a moot point on ice, and its not meant for 55 mph when a light dusting is on the ground. (one of our sales guys bragged about that the other day)

2. The false sense of security that stuff gives is a kudos to the marketing firms and car salesmen. Well done.

I remember a wreck where a 16 yo with an eagle talon AWD (yeah I was jelly af too) got it bad but he walked away. He told the cops his buddy had said AWD can take corners at any speed, so he didnt slow down. Murica

3XC

Big Truss
The false sense of security is deadly. Exactly that.

Driving way too ****ing fast in wet conditions, thinking AWD is some magic, physics bending system that changes reaction times and the laws of momentum.

There is no substitute for being a good driver. Giving crap drivers misplaced confidence is likely to lead to more accidents.

3XC

Big Truss
I'mma wrap this up by pointing people to the wreck that killed Dale Earnhardt. It didn't really look like he hit that wall all that hard. It looked "normal", like the accidents guys just walk away from, madder about losing the race than anything else. Hitting a wall at a 90 degree angle is SO much worse in terms of energy being transferred into the car/passenger than hitting another car, at any angle, even at high speed. Coming to an abrupt instant stop is what kills people.

Country469

I wonder if the whole crash mitigation thing is going too far. Are we training our drivers its ok to trust the car to do everything? Auto pilot 4 life now?

3XC

Big Truss
Unrelated but informative.

jygz8l5opnktpt5hohsc.png

FWIW, Toyota, Scion, and Lexus are the same ****ing people.

3XC

Big Truss
MINI and BMW are the same company, no matter what this list says, they're POSes as well. Saturn, Mercury, and Pontiac are orphan brands, and are probably higher on the list because model specific parts (headlamp assemblies, etc.) are unobtanium now from dealers. Those are misleadingly high. Basically the whole point of this list is that BMW is so, so, so much less reliable and "good" than everyone else, even MB and Audi, although high, are like 40% less.

Country469

they just upcharge for **** cuz they realize you already paid more for a different label and some wood grain dash

3XC

Big Truss
Yeah Cadillac is high and its just a GM, Ayden yesterday was like, I pay 75 for an oil change on a CTS. That's it. Nobody will pay 75 to have their Impala's oil changed, and its the same ****ing V6 as the CTS, just rotated 90 degrees and driving the front wheels.

Country469

car salesmen need to be armed with this kind of stuff about the competition. I don't care about free back rubs for life at the service center and a kuerig machine while I wait.

3XC

Big Truss
BMW and Lexus are competing head on but I wager the typical buyer of each brand is only superficially similar. They'll have similar demographics but really, Lexus buyers are risk averse and into resale, safety, reliability, etc. BMW buyers are into cachet, performance, "showy" technology, and projecting an image. Mercedes probably splits the difference.

Country469

for 7 years and $765/month you too can appear to be whatever you desire to the guy in traffic next to you, with his windows up.

3XC

Big Truss
I am much, much, much more impressed by the old collector cars, vintage stuff. A GTO or Roadrunner or whatever will always get me lookin. I see a 90k Mercedes SUV and its the opposite of impressive. I think to myself "You're stupid for buying that, that cost more than a Land Cruiser and is half as good."

90s Ferraris, the 550 and 355, get me drooling, cool old stuff, from small Broncos to funky ****, a Lotus, a Toronado, a Galant VR4, cars that let me know the owner is a car guy. A X6M doesn't say "car guy", it says "settlement check from walking into something and losing an eye in the process."

mcm21078

Addicted to Softballfans
my 88 Accord with tinted windows and a spoiler was my favorite car ever. Also had the headlights that pop up.