Blatant cheating (illegal bat)

Worm

<font color="#FF3030">I'm CrEePy & I'm CrAwLy</fon
I agree. The bats are just too hot. ASA/USA and USSSA. All too hot.

I don't think USSSA's bat change taking place later this year will make a ton of difference. Especially if they continue to use Pro Ms.

I look at cheating two different ways. Guys who legitimately don't know any better and just bring a USSSA bat to the plate.... and guys who willfully subvert the rules and try to be sneaky with bats.

I realize that guys who play once a week won't even have a clue on legal/illegal bats. I'm pretty patient with those guys. If they come to the plate with a USSSA bat I just make them go get an ASA bat instead. I don't call them out. Putting an ASA sticker on a USSSA bat is pretty low rent though. Its calculated deception.

VIERA, FL (October 30, 2019) — The current approved 1.20 “Thumbprint” stamp for USSSA Slowpitch Softball bats will NOW be LEGAL for USSSA play until January 1, 2023. USSSA has decided to move back the legal use date until 2023, to give players a longer useable period for currently owned and manufactured bats.

Current stamp USSSA Bats will stop being produced by manufacturers no later than January 1, 2021. The New Stamp bats will have a higher starting compression and a higher passing compression of 240. This means you can use the current USSSA stamped bats with a lower failing compression of 220 for USSSA sanctioned events for another 3+ years.

You’re right. And even with the change it will be another 3 years before people will swing the bats produced under the new lower standard since you can swing the bats produced under the present standard until 2023.

TWmccoy

3DX Connoisseur
Pretty sure they said utrip stamp will be grandfathered in forever

This is what I heard too. I think that other post is old news.

USSSA hasn't done a good job with this at all. They mandated a new stamp and then kept pushing back the date current bats would become illegal.

I thought I heard new stamp bats would be produced from September onward, but that current bats would be legal forever.

tonys1

[GALLERY=media, 34129]01BD307D-0B2C-49B1-8A2C-7A9C4DB6375C by tonys1 posted Jun 25, 2020 at 6:26 PM[/GALLERY]

Posted Jan 28, 2020

EAJuggalo

Addicted to Softballfans
I just don't want to be left in the lurch if the guy drills a pitcher or something using a bat I knew was illegal in a league I'm umping.
Exactly this, it will be a complete **** show if you know it's illegal and let them swing it. You are opening yourself up to liability. Is the league USA sanctioned? If so I would be keeping the bat and turning it over to the state for further ramifications.

I had an ump threaten to toss one of my bats that had a built-up hockey tape handle taper. Since it wasn't a normal straight grip the bat was "modified".
I believe the rule in USA is you can't have more than three layers of tape. I'm not going to dig out my rulebook about it though.

TWmccoy

3DX Connoisseur
Exactly this, it will be a complete **** show if you know it's illegal and let them swing it. You are opening yourself up to liability. Is the league USA sanctioned? If so I would be keeping the bat and turning it over to the state for further ramifications.

I believe the rule in USA is you can't have more than three layers of tape. I'm not going to dig out my rulebook about it though.

The league isn't sanctioned. That said, I'm still going to do whatever I can as an ump to keep guys from swinging illegal bats in the league. I understand the difference between not knowing any better and willfully cheating though.

Bobby Buggs

SBF Site Sponsor
Of course you should take non sanctioned bats out of play, but taking the Hardo road and going to the state for "further ramifications" ?? seriously its fuggin softball.

ETDave

Old School
We had a game last night where a guy had been using a baseball bat all night. I pitch so I saw what he was using. He burned our outfielder and hit an inside the park three run homer. I told the home plate umpire to check the bat and he wouldn't even check it...but our umpires for the most part don't (with a few exceptions) care about anything but getting the money.

Hiltz

Built for comfort

Playing with Softball Canada umps here. He told me that anything other than a straight single-layer grip was considered "modifying" your bat; no built-up tapers, no Knob-Cuffs, etc.

Yet Softball Canada bat rules allow any bat with an ISF2005 stamp, including all the banned, old-stamp USSSA bats.

hitless45

Addicted to Softballfans
We had a game last night where a guy had been using a baseball bat all night. I pitch so I saw what he was using. He burned our outfielder and hit an inside the park three run homer. I told the home plate umpire to check the bat and he wouldn't even check it...but our umpires for the most part don't (with a few exceptions) care about anything but getting the money.
So you waited until he burnt your outfielders too say something lol

I'd be more upset at my outfielders

ShortYellowBus

I can go 300ft with a Easton L2 that tests 295 on one side and 300 on the other. And that’s with 52’s.

I hear some tournaments are introducing Classic Pro M’s now, that are 44/375.

Do I need to say more? The equipment is improving, perhaps. The real question is; are you working on your swing to deal with the new bat standards. I feel the higher standard is still “hot” enough to get a USSSA ball to carry 300ft in most environments.

TWmccoy

3DX Connoisseur
I can go 300ft with a Easton L2 that tests 295 on one side and 300 on the other. And that’s with 52’s.

I hear some tournaments are introducing Classic Pro M’s now, that are 44/375.

Do I need to say more? The equipment is improving, perhaps. The real question is; are you working on your swing to deal with the new bat standards. I feel the higher standard is still “hot” enough to get a USSSA ball to carry 300ft in most environments.

I agree. I have plenty of Eastons that test at 300ish. For league here we use .52 300 Tattoos. Half the time they're beat up and mushed out. They still carry over 300' fairly easily.

I have zero sympathy for cheaters. Hitting a HR isn't very hard in softball regardless of what bat/ball combo you use.

BTW, the Pro M ball is good for the big fields at Viera, but should only be used there. For regular 300' fields its overkill.

No one works on their swing anymore. They don't have to. Between hot bats and balls, you can take a garbage swing at a ball and still have success.

TWmccoy

3DX Connoisseur
No knob cut offs? That’s lame. Check the stamp, that’s it.

I've only seen one ump ever that didn't allow knobcuffs. I personally don't care what you do with the handle of your bat when I'm umping. I usually put as little tape as possible on my bats. Sometimes at tournies the umps get a little miffed about it.

Hiltz

Built for comfort
I don't get the minimum requirement for grip length. Drop 2 fingers and overlap and you're holding 2" of handle, why do you need 6" or 10" or whatever it is?

FLEET

bowling ball nut swanga
aside from major levels, why should anyone be expected to work on anything? they're not getting paid for this ****. if people don't feel like spending 3 hrs a day swinging at softballs, that's their prerogative.

ShortYellowBus

aside from major levels, why should anyone be expected to work on anything? they're not getting paid for this ****. if people don't feel like spending 3 hrs a day swinging at softballs, that's their prerogative.
Life sucks for those people.

And I’ll argue we’re in a “anti-vax” “anti-mask” society due to this similarity in negligence and selfishness.

I don’t believe payment or the lack of remuneration should be the only motivator; why can’t people just let faith, love and inspiration guide them to make a positive impact in whatever makes them happy.

And if it makes the world a better place, payment is a non-factor.

FLEET

bowling ball nut swanga
Yeah, but then don't cheat and put other people in danger.

i don't condone that behavior. **** those people. i'm speaking in general.

Life sucks for those people.

And I’ll argue we’re in a “anti-vax” “anti-mask” society due to this similarity in negligence and selfishness.

I don’t believe payment or the lack of remuneration should be the only motivator; why can’t people just let faith, love and inspiration guide them to make a positive impact in whatever makes them happy.

And if it makes the world a better place, payment is a non-factor.

life sucks for people who have higher priorities than rec softball? i'll argue the opposite.

jbo911

Super Moderator
Staff member
Yeah, but then don't cheat and put other people in danger.
The thing that sucks is that defense has just been thrown away as unimportant. I don't take ground balls anymore than i take bp, but it doesn't mean i don't appreciate a clean pick or double play as much or more than a clutch double or hr. It's like three associations, utrip especially, don't understand that advances in offense make defense that much harder. The balance is just completely out of whack imo.

Last edited:

Hiltz

Built for comfort
The thing that sucks is that defense has just been thrown away as unimportant. I don't take ground balls anymore than i take bp, but it doesn't mean i don't appreciate a clean pick or double play as much or more than a clutch double or hr. It's like three associative, utrip especially, don't understand that advances in offense make defense that much harder. The balance is just completely out of whack imo.

That's why I love wood bat softball, the balance between offense and defense is so much better. Having a lightning-fast CF or a 2b that can turn a quick double-play becomes more important than having the latest $300 bat.

blakcherry329

that's why I like Clincher Leagues. I can pitch and not "fear for my life" on every shot up the middle. Defense doesn't Ole' too many balls because they're hit so friggin hard. Won a little 6 team tournament yesterday. Got 6 shots at me and got my glove on all of them, caught 3. No mask or shin guards. Swing any bat and it doesn't make too much of a difference. Definitely a purer game, imo.

hitless45

Addicted to Softballfans
this is why i also enjoy our seniors league. those of us from 53 to 62 allowed singlewall aluminum bats, 62 to 68 doublewall aluminum over 68 can use whatever they want too. we use 44/375 but its not all that bad with bat restrictions. we have to use some hitting and fielding skills. i was skeptical too joint at first but glad i did.

TWmccoy

3DX Connoisseur
We played a team yesterday that had a couple shaved bats. They ran out of HR'S after the 2nd inning and we run ruled them because they can't hit singles. Haha

I've seen many, many games lost that way. Teams here don't really care about anything. When they're out of HRs they continue to hit them anyway. I've seen teams use all 6 or 8 HR in 2 innings and build a 15-0 lead... only to lose because they can't score without hitting HRs.

The ball flies in CO. You really do have to tone your swing down or switch bats to keep it in the yard.

Hiltz

Built for comfort
We played a team yesterday that had a couple shaved bats. They ran out of HR'S after the 2nd inning and we run ruled them because they can't hit singles. Haha

I've seen many, many games lost that way. Teams here don't really care about anything. When they're out of HRs they continue to hit them anyway. I've seen teams use all 6 or 8 HR in 2 innings and build a 15-0 lead... only to lose because they can't score without hitting HRs.

The better teams around here will use their HR's and then just walk the box and blow up pitchers the rest of the game. That's why they're so opposed to wood bats: 1. They can't hit homeruns and 2. they can't smash middle and get the ball past a decent-fielding pitcher.