Bone Spur in throwing shoulder

jem74

Addicted to Softballfans
Well.. just got back from orthopedic Dr.. I have a big,jagged bone spur on my right shoulder.. have to get MRI also for possible Bicep tendon tear. Kinda explains while my shoulder feels dead after 2 or 3 legit throws :( Anybody else have something similar???

jem74

Addicted to Softballfans
Well.. bone spur was least of my shoulder issues.. Have a S.L.A.P. tear of the labrum.. pretty much what is cause of "dead arm" in pitchers.. It does bother me a bit throwing,but is tolerable.. kills me at work and at gym when lifting anything over my shoulder. Dr consult this week.. great injury to have at 38 yrs old :/

Ninja Man

Coach
I have a torn labrum and rotator cuff and a stage 3 acroniom.... Surgery next fall most likely. As long as I throw side arm its bearable, playing 2nd and ss helps too, good luck

Fortin151

Extra Hitter
My shoulder isnt diagnosed is prolly not no where near as bad as yours but what workout suggestions do you know off to gaining velocity on your throws.

chev17

Addicted to Softballfans
I had bone spurs in my throwing shoulder along with slap tear, rotator tear, biceps tendon, and arthritis. I'm 5 months postop and it's feeling great. No throwing yet but I'm back hitting and light lifting . It feels a lot better than before surgery.

jem74

Addicted to Softballfans
Well.. got the MRI result today.. Torn labrum as well as partial tear of rotator cuff. AWESOME :/ Gonna opt for the P.T. route right now... I drive a truck for work,can't do 3-4 months out of work!!

Last edited:

rommel51

VP of Jock Strap cleaning
I dont remember which shoulder I had surgery on first but my first one had 5 things wrong with it. Labrium tear, super spanatitis tear (spl?) bone spur and two other things I cant think of. Its sucks

MP33

Addicted to Softballfans
Well.. got the MRI result today.. Torn labrum as well as partial tear of rotator cuff. AWESOME :/ Gonna opt for the P.T. route right now... I drive a truck for work,can't do 3-4 months out of work!!

hate to tell you, but surgery gonna be only real permanent fix.

Buddy of mine had same thing, did the PT thing for a little over a year, thought he felt good, was going to put a dumb bell back onto the rack and damn near ripped his shoulder off, tore rotator cuff, labrum, biceps tendon, it was bad. Heard the pop, his arm was just limp and ****, shoulder way out of place, I was all :eek:

jem74

Addicted to Softballfans
yeah.... I realize I will probably have to have surgery at some point. I'm 38 going on 39, don't got much softball left.. even though I'm in good physical shape still,luckily it's never bothered me swinging...but my outfield days are pretty much over. I've also switched to more of a lightweight/high rep workout routine

mkimmer

COMbatant
hate to tell you, but surgery gonna be only real permanent fix.

Buddy of mine had same thing, did the PT thing for a little over a year, thought he felt good, was going to put a dumb bell back onto the rack and damn near ripped his shoulder off, tore rotator cuff, labrum, biceps tendon, it was bad. Heard the pop, his arm was just limp and ****, shoulder way out of place, I was all :eek:

Yep. Surgery is the only true fix. It will be a waste of $ for PT. You will run the risk of really hurting it worse. All it will take is one small movment and your shoulder is blown and surgery is imminent. My PT said it is common for that to happen.

I have a bone spur and small tearing of the rotator cuff in my throwing shoulder. Like you guys are saying, it didn't hurt swinging the bat, but I couldn't break glass from 10 feet away at the start of this past season. I went through PT, MRI, and had 3 cortisone shots. The last one seemed to fix my problems. Glad I didn't have to go through surgery. Before my shoulder was injured, I could throw it to the catcher from the fence. After the bone spur and all the shots, I can now hit the pitcher on a fly. Not much worse, but it is noticable.

Good luck with whatever you decide to do.