ASA both feet in the box

RDD15

Addicted to Softballfans
honest to goodness,went to a senior tourney and the line and the foul/fair pole were at least 3' a part. :eek: :rolleyes:

what could of been construed as this being a rule,then if ya know.did hear it had been rescinded tho a year a 2 back.

Bob, you type like the assistant coach in "The Waterboy" talks.

sk31

Unicorn tags for days
Never understood the "foot can be in the air" part of the rule. Is this to protect the devastating jump-swing?

VF500Racer

Addicted to Softballfans
Many people pick their front foot up during windup and then
plant it right before swing, so at one point you do
only have "1 foot" in the box... :rolleyes:;)

AndyG7

Addicted to Softballfans
Never understood the "foot can be in the air" part of the rule. Is this to protect the devastating jump-swing?

:)

If somoene happens to hit a ball with their foot in the air then their foot comes down outside the box on the plate, etc... you will have the other team screaming that their foot was outside the box in the air. Can you imagine an umpire(or anyone for that matter) having to judge that?

DeputyUICHousto

Addicted to Softballfans
Well

If somoene happens to hit a ball with their foot in the air then their foot comes down outside the box on the plate, etc... you will have the other team screaming that their foot was outside the box in the air. Can you imagine an umpire(or anyone for that matter) having to judge that?

We do it all the time!

AndyG7

Addicted to Softballfans
We do it all the time!

You judge if a players foot is in the air outside the lines? I'm not saying when it lands, I'm talking about his foot braking the plane of the lines at contact. I'm saying that would be damn near impossible to judge.

I see it all the time with pull hitters.

don't know how they can do that,go and hit and see if you can do it,its not gonna happen,front foot is what you hit off of,don't care which part of the field you hit to.

You judge if a players foot is in the air outside the lines? I'm not saying when it lands, I'm talking about his foot braking the plane of the lines at contact. I'm saying that would be damn near impossible to judge.

in the air no harm,foot on the ground outside the box,batter's out....

NCASAUmp

Un-Retired

And that's not how the rule is worded. The foot must be completely out of the box and on the ground when contact is made for the rule to be invoked. There is no "plane" that he has to break.

don't know how they can do that,go and hit and see if you can do it,its not gonna happen,front foot is what you hit off of,don't care which part of the field you hit to.

I didn't say it'd be a great hit. Just saying that a guy trying to pull it down the line will often swing his foot towards the outside of the box.

irishmafia

Addicted to Softballfans
And that's not how the rule is worded. The foot must be completely out of the box and on the ground when contact is made for the rule to be invoked. There is no "plane" that he has to break.

Let's reword this a little. The batter is out if the portion of the foot touching the ground at the time of contact is completely out of the box.

AndyG7

Addicted to Softballfans

We do it all the time!

I was explaining to sk31 why the ruling was the foot must be on the ground. I was saying if it wasn't worded that way, the umpire would have to judge if a players foot broke the plane of the box, which would be damn near impossible to see.

HAT MAN

Addicted to Softballfans
a little help

My question is this
ASA

What happens when the grounds crew does not make the box to the rules.

EX
I'm 6'4" and stand at the limit of the box. This weekend blue says you need to be inside the box and feet cannot be touching the line.

He let me explain myself in between innings. I asked if I can show him something.
With a mat being used I said correct me if i'm wrong.
With the mat being in place and its a strike if you hit the 1inch strip next to the plate how many inches from the plate does the box start. 6 inches, we agree he marks what he thinks is six inches. We disagree in that he says 6 inches from white plate and I say 6 inches fromblack mat since its a strike if hit.

I go with him and lay my bat down and it goes about and inch or 2 past the line. So I say a bat is 34inches so would you agree the box is less then 36 inches. Yes. How wide do you think that chalk line is he says 2 inches.

So since I cannot stand any part of my foot on the line and I wear size 13shoes would you agree that I am now being asked to stand -1inch for black mat-2 inches for 34inch box -2 inches for width of chalk line then -12 inches for my shoe size. for a total of 17inches.
So what do I do when I am asked to sing a foot and a half+ closer to the plate? Do I cann the director?

RDD15

Addicted to Softballfans
My question is this
ASA

What happens when the grounds crew does not make the box to the rules.

EX
I'm 6'4" and stand at the limit of the box. This weekend blue says you need to be inside the box and feet cannot be touching the line.

He let me explain myself in between innings. I asked if I can show him something.
With a mat being used I said correct me if i'm wrong.
With the mat being in place and its a strike if you hit the 1inch strip next to the plate how many inches from the plate does the box start. 6 inches, we agree he marks what he thinks is six inches. We disagree in that he says 6 inches from white plate and I say 6 inches fromblack mat since its a strike if hit.

I go with him and lay my bat down and it goes about and inch or 2 past the line. So I say a bat is 34inches so would you agree the box is less then 36 inches. Yes. How wide do you think that chalk line is he says 2 inches.

So since I cannot stand any part of my foot on the line and I wear size 13shoes would you agree that I am now being asked to stand -1inch for black mat-2 inches for 34inch box -2 inches for width of chalk line then -12 inches for my shoe size. for a total of 17inches.
So what do I do when I am asked to sing a foot and a half+ closer to the plate? Do I cann the director?

I have never seen a rule in the ASA book that allows for an extra inch of batter's box to be added for the mat. So no, you do not lose an inch to the mat. That inch is there because on a properly manicured field where the batter's box is level with the plate, the ball can bounce an inch or so inside of the plate, and not actually touch the plate (the edge of the ball is over the plate) and be a strike.

Your 12 inches of shoe do not matter. You must keep your foot entirely inside the box, not partially in the box, so you are not getting screwed out of 12 inches there.

So we have gone from 17 inches you are getting shorted, down to 4. If the box was drawn properly, the outside edge of the box will be 42 inches from home plate. You actually can stand with your feet on the chalk line. The line is part of the box if drawn correctly, so the umpire was wrong in not allowing you to stand on the line.

As far as the measurement of the box drawn, you might have an argument there, but seriously dude, it is a couple of inches. If you have a tape measure to pull out, then maybe you have a case of calling the director over, or playing under protest or something. But until you are able to take an exact measurement of the box, you pretty much have nothing here.

You probably could protest the ump not allowing you to stand ON the chalk line of the box, but if you are unable to hit a slowpitch softball from a position where your heels can be up to 38 inches away from the edge of the plate, something is wrong.

HAT MAN

Addicted to Softballfans
ok so here me out

I have never seen a rule in the ASA book that allows for an extra inch of batter's box to be added for the mat. So no, you do not lose an inch to the mat. That inch is there because on a properly manicured field where the batter's box is level with the plate, the ball can bounce an inch or so inside of the plate, and not actually touch the plate (the edge of the ball is over the plate) and be a strike.

Your 12 inches of shoe do not matter. You must keep your foot entirely inside the box, not partially in the box, so you are not getting screwed out of 12 inches there.

So we have gone from 17 inches you are getting shorted, down to 4. If the box was drawn properly, the outside edge of the box will be 42 inches from home plate. You actually can stand with your feet on the chalk line. The line is part of the box if drawn correctly, so the umpire was wrong in not allowing you to stand on the line.

As far as the measurement of the box drawn, you might have an argument there, but seriously dude, it is a couple of inches. If you have a tape measure to pull out, then maybe you have a case of calling the director over, or playing under protest or something. But until you are able to take an exact measurement of the box, you pretty much have nothing here.

You probably could protest the ump not allowing you to stand ON the chalk line of the box, but if you are unable to hit a slowpitch softball from a position where your heels can be up to 38 inches away from the edge of the plate, something is wrong.

I umpire so was not looking to get the blue mad at all. Here is my thinking if my feet are on the line to me that means the toe of my foot if I already am short 2 inches cause the box was only 34inches counting the back chalk line. When I move in it is taking me closer to the plate by at least 12 inches. Follow me?

I adjusted but my thing was I was soo much closer to the plate then usuall I had to wait for outside pitches and make sure I didnt hit middle (DBO) at the same time.

Last edited:

RDD15

Addicted to Softballfans
Here is my thinking if my feet are on the line to me that means the toe of my foot if I already am short 2 inches cause the box was only 34inches counting the back chalk line. When I move in it is taking me closer to the plate by at least 12 inches. Follow me?

I believe that I follow, but I believe you might be mistaken. Your foot may be on the line, but the rule does not allow you to just put a toe on the line, and have the rest of the foot on the ground outside of out of the box. Your foot must be completely inside the box, which includes the line. If any part of the foot is outside of the box before the pitch, then the batter is not in the box. You aren't losing an extra 12 inches there bro.

HAT MAN

Addicted to Softballfans
gotcha, dont play much asa but it is clear in Utrip there is not a stink at least here. So basically I have been spoiled and the next time I play asa or any sanction for that matter, if they say get in then I say yes sir.

What do you do if the box itself is not regulation? Half the time thegrounds crew just say, hmm this looks good. for example the other filed I played on had like a 4.5 foot box.

I joked but the blue asked are you serious you want me to enforce a smaller box??? we laughed you didnt, ow well!

Last edited:

NCASAUmp

Un-Retired
gotcha, dont play much asa but it is clear in Utrip there is not a stink at least here. So basically I have been spoiled and the next time I play asa or any sanction for that matter, if they say get in then I say yes sir.

What do you do if the box itself is not regulation? Half the time thegrounds crew just say, hmm this looks good. for example the other filed I played on had like a 4.5 foot box.

I joked but the blue asked are you serious you want me to enforce a smaller box??? we laughed you didnt, ow well!

If the box is not drawn (or not drawn correctly), it's up to the umpire to use his/her best judgment.

And by the way, a player's feet can be as far away as 42" from the side of the plate, not 38" as previously mentioned. The box starts 6" off the plate and is 36" wide.

RDD15

Addicted to Softballfans
If the box is not drawn (or not drawn correctly), it's up to the umpire to use his/her best judgment.

And by the way, a player's feet can be as far away as 42" from the side of the plate, not 38" as previously mentioned. The box starts 6" off the plate and is 36" wide.

Wait! I did say 42. THird paragraph in post 46. I dont think i said 38 ahywhere.

EDIT: I see the confusion. I did say 38, but that was in reference to his opinion that the ump had robbed him of 4 inches of batters box.

Last edited:

Tomj2345

aka...TOM A.V.
This season in ASA there were no lines drawn for the batters box but the ump called out 2 guys in one game for being out of the box...