Breaking in the AVR

NDshotokan

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
I keep tabs on the Combat section pretty regularily and thus have seen quite a few opinions on the break in of the AVR. But here's my question: Does anyone have an AVR that's hot? And how many swings did it take YOU? I understand that everyone is different, so I just want some relative numbers.

I'm at about 200 on mine and it's still a turd, but I swing hard so I'm hoping it'll open up soon. Gonna BP tomorrow again and put another 100 or so on it. I have a feeling that it won't even get used this year in a game... Which sucks because the warranty will be up before I even get it broken in. :(

My SB took around 100-150 to break in and is pretty sick right now. I love the 'softer' feel of the AVR though and would really like it to get broken in.

Anyway, any comments/suggestions/input is appreciated.

chris21

Addicted to Softballfans
6 of the 13 guys on my team swing the AVR (4 swing OG AVs and 3 swing recoils)....all 6 guys have varied amounts of swings on them. We have 2 that are really 'hot'....1 has about 500 swings on it, the other has less than 300. So, I don't think it's the number of hits necessarily, but if it fits your swing.

I go between the OG AV and the AVR (with 400+ swings on it), and my AVR is hot too....but I still swing my OG AV most of the time.

NDshotokan

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
Thanks for the responses guys. This seems quite inline with what I've read over the last couple months. I'll have to convince some teammates to swing it in BP as well. See if we can't get her to open up.

And yes Chris, OG AV > All others. :D

magicman

now you see me...
I stopped swinging my AVR after I picked up an ogav but used her in Bp and such and one other guy uses it pretty regularly. We're at about 500 or so on it and it feels like she's opening up nicely now.

stork

Rocky Mountain Oyster aka DirtDog
Got and EM today about the upcoming Border Battle...looks like the Combat guys will only be swinging AVR's and SB98's for it.

NDshotokan

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
Put another 100 swings or so on mine. Its starting to open up. Thank goodness!

Last edited:

STICKS!

Addicted to Softballfans
I wonder if paint chips are any indication of how close it is to completely opening up. The more mine got chipped up, the hotter it got :eek:

EvilE

Daddy 2011!!!!
No love for the AVR, evil?
I like it very much actually, nice stick, but I have too many bats to be honest. I need to trim it down some. I dont ever see it surpassing my Juggys or Catty as my "gamer". That said, I love the feel of it, and am very impressed by the performance. Nothing bad to say about it. Just need to sell some is all.:(

rightsideswine

Banned User
I need one of these still.

No you don't. Sb is actually a good bat for post abi's...everything else post abi combat has made including avr is junk.

I keep tabs on the Combat section pretty regularily and thus have seen quite a few opinions on the break in of the AVR. But here's my question: Does anyone have an AVR that's hot? And how many swings did it take YOU? I understand that everyone is different, so I just want some relative numbers.

I'm at about 200 on mine and it's still a turd, but I swing hard so I'm hoping it'll open up soon. Gonna BP tomorrow again and put another 100 or so on it. I have a feeling that it won't even get used this year in a game... Which sucks because the warranty will be up before I even get it broken in. :(

My SB took around 100-150 to break in and is pretty sick right now. I love the 'softer' feel of the AVR though and would really like it to get broken in.

Anyway, any comments/suggestions/input is appreciated.

I would take it down to about 1.5 turns of compression on it and then swing it till it breaks and ask for a SB back.

j-sig

Addicted to Softballfans
No you don't. Sb is actually a good bat for post abi's...everything else post abi combat has made including avr is junk.

I would take it down to about 1.5 turns of compression on it and then swing it till it breaks and ask for a SB back.

l o l

jojo15

Star Player
My avr is on fire!!! The paint chips are insane on it. It looks like I dragged it along a metal fence. Wanna buy like 10 more there is about 700+ swings on her now

NDshotokan

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

Combat has only made two other post-ABI bats, and you're right they aren't that good.

As far as the AVR, I'm going to disagree with you. I think the longer break in time (not normal for Combats) is detering some people from letting it reach it's potential. Heck, I wanted to give up on mine since the SB was hitting so well after 100 swings.

I'll bet that after 500 hits on the AVR it'll be right in line (although with a softer feel) with the SB.

jk22

Humpty Dumpty was Pushed.....
My avr is on fire!!! The paint chips are insane on it. It looks like I dragged it along a metal fence. Wanna buy like 10 more there is about 700+ swings on her now

Hah , nice..mine looks like it went through a wood chipper...still not super hot yet, but this stick is a late bloomer