ASA Called Strike

NCASAUmp

Un-Retired
Just to further clarify, the black is considered part of the plate. The plate is supposed to be buried under the ground, leaving only the white portion exposed. However, just about every field has at least some portion of the black of the plate exposed.

So look at it this way - how likely is it that the ball can hit just the black portion of the plate without touching at least some tiny little portion of the white? Not very likely at all. So rather than try and split that hair, if the ball hits any portion of the plate, black or white, it hit the plate. Ball.

azsoftball

Whatever
Is the "black" a strike. Had this "discussion" last night.

Are you talking about black mat or the black trim around the white plate. If black trim around the white plate then NCASAUmp is right. If your talking about black mat then it's a strike (depends on your league or tournament director).

BretMan

Addicted to Softballfans
And are you talking about a pitch that passes through the strike zone in-flight, or a pitch that hits the plate?

kingpin119

Addicted to Softballfans
Do you have any documentation to support this?

Look on page 15 sec. 4 of the 2015 rulebook. it says "The black border that outlines the plate is NOT to be considered home plate."

[ame="http://web.usssa.com/usssa/usssa-general/2015SPRulebook.pdf"]http://web.usssa.com/usssa/usssa-general/2015SPRulebook.pdf[/ame]

DeputyUICHousto

Addicted to Softballfans
It's not rocket science

If you were to pick the plate up does the back come with it? Of course! The black is part of the plate!

cmsa-blue

Just to further clarify, the black is considered part of the plate. The plate is supposed to be buried under the ground, leaving only the white portion exposed. However, just about every field has at least some portion of the black of the plate exposed.

So look at it this way - how likely is it that the ball can hit just the black portion of the plate without touching at least some tiny little portion of the white? Not very likely at all. So rather than try and split that hair, if the ball hits any portion of the plate, black or white, it hit the plate. Ball.

And let's clarify even a little further....In the ASA/USA red rulebook it says, and I'm paraphrasing here, "where the ball passes OVER any part of the plate. Now call me a strictest, but that doesn't say anything about it being a strike if it hits the black. It says it must not touch the plate. For all of you who say it's a hitter's game, of course it is. It's also a runner's game, and a fielder's game. You wouldn't call someone safe if they got close to the base. You wouldn't call an out if the ball hit the ground just before the fielder caught the line drive. Why would you have an attitude of, "Well, it was close enough to the strike zone to hit so it's a strike?" Personally, that's just lazy umpiring.

NCASAUmp

Un-Retired
I was wondering where this came from...

And I'm not sure if cmsa-blue is calling me a lazy umpire here.

irishmafia

Addicted to Softballfans
Is the "black" a strike. Had this "discussion" last night.

The "black" is considered part of the plate. If a pitch crosses it in the strike zone, it is a strike. If the pitch hits the black, it is considered to have hit the plate.