Any calling time

Joker

as soon as the ump verbally calls time, the play is dead and cannot be restarted correct?

example from tonight: guy gets a hit and rounds 2nd fairly wide and is still moving as the throw comes into the pitcher. as soon as the pitcher caught the ball the ump verbally calls "time" loud enough for everyone to hear. runner stops and walks back to 2nd. pitcher throws the ball to 2nd and he tags the runner. ump calls the runner out. of course we all question it and the ump gets in my face, but thats another story/rant

stork

Rocky Mountain Oyster aka DirtDog
Once time is called, ball is dead. Sounds like a premature time-call. Ump double-faulted IMO.

Joker

Once time is called, ball is dead. Sounds like a premature time-call. Ump double-faulted IMO.

it was a premature time call, but i don't see how he can say the play keeps going after he called it. i asked him if he verbally called time, he said "yea, but....". i tried to tell him the is no "but", of course in the nicest possible way ;)

NCASAUmp

Un-Retired
If the umpire calls time prematurely, he's potentially placing both the offense AND the defense in jeopardy. Not a good idea to call anyone out at this point.

stork

Rocky Mountain Oyster aka DirtDog
it was a premature time call, but i don't see how he can say the play keeps going after he called it. i asked him if he verbally called time, he said "yea, but....". i tried to tell him the is no "but", of course in the nicest possible way ;)

I am trying to picture it...just can't. :p

Joker

I am trying to picture it...just can't. :p

i said a few things and then walked away. next inning i'm walking out to 1B and the ump calls me over. he asks me "do i look perfect to you?", i just turned and walked away again. he says to my back "thats right go over there, i'm tired of listening to your mouth".

johnsonrod

Starting Player
i said a few things and then walked away. next inning i'm walking out to 1B and the ump calls me over. he asks me "do i look perfect to you?", i just turned and walked away again. he says to my back "thats right go over there, i'm tired of listening to your mouth".

sounds like he was hitting on you....

anyways in softball/baseball calling time or foul is tantamount to blowing a whistle in other sports. once its called/blown, play is dead for better or worse, like ed hochuli

BretMan

Addicted to Softballfans

Ya know...some guys have the temperment and attitude to be good at this job. Others...well...

The guy screwed up. It happens. He should have negated the out, put the runner back on second base and he probably should have taken a little grief about his obvious mistake. When you screw up, let the coach vent a little, so long as it doesn't get prolonged, profane or personal, then forget about it and move on.

Pursuing you after the inning, asking a loaded question, then playing the tough guy after you walked away is a piss-poor way to handle this. It was almost like he was baiting you into an argument, then got ticked when you didn't take the bait.

Bad move, umpire. There are enough things that can go wrong in a game that an umpire shouldn't go out of his way looking for more trouble.

Last edited:

xLongBallx

I may have a problem.....
i dont know, but even if time was called, immediatley the runner is required to get on a bag....

he must of been quite a few steps off second to be thrown out...

Lurker765

Addicted to Softballfans

Did we have the same umpire? My first post ever on this board:

http://forums.softballfans.com/showthread.php?t=18130

"I just had the worst call by an umpire I have ever seen.

I was on first base with two outs when the batter hits a single to right and I run from first to third, round the bag and see where the throw is going. It is heading home and so I wait to see if the catcher can field it. He does and then the ump calls "TIME". I then turn around and start walking the couple steps back to the bag when the catcher throws the ball to third and the third baseman tags me. The umpire yells "OUT".

I mention to him that he had called time. He then said 'you still have to get back to the bag even if I call time'. I point out that he is incorrect and he goes--'oh yeah. Well, the call still stands'.

He did apologize to me after the game, and we won the game 15-1 so it didn't matter.

There is no subjective play, no bang-bang call, and it isn't exactly one of the strange rules. I can't imagine a more basic rule being violated and then not corrected despite being extremely easy to fix.

Has anyone ever seen a worse call?"

Joker

Ya know...some guys have the temperment and attitude to be good at this job. Others...well...

The guy screwed up. It happens. He should have negated the out, put the runner back on second base and he probably should have taken a little grief about his obvious mistake. When you screw up, let the coach vent a little, so long as it doesn't get prolonged, profane or personal, then forget about it and move on.

Pursuing you after the inning, asking a loaded question, then playing the tough guy after you walked away is a piss-poor way to handle this. It was almost like he was baiting you into an argument, then got ticked when you didn't take the bait.

Bad move, umpire. There are enough things that can go wrong in a game that an umpire shouldn't go out of his way looking for more trouble.

this is exactly what he was trying to do. he has done it to me before, actually this was the 3rd time. 1st time i was dumb enough to answer he when he asked me "what did you say?" when i had said he made a bad call, which he did. threw me out of the game. he tried it a 2nd time a few weeks after and i just ignored him like i did last night.

Lifesport

Addicted to Softballfans
Well, the ump isn't perfect, he did make a mistake. He should have put the runner back on second to correct his mistake. Apparently he likes baiting people instead. Impressed that you just walked away. A lot of answers are running through my mind to his question...most would get me kicked out.

Roundtrip

Starting Player
we still won, so its not needed

Not only did you "win" the game, but you also won in conscience; which we all have to live with, often for a longer period of time then the score of a softball game.

Nobody likes to be wrong! This umpire needs to learn to admit when he's wrong and correct his mistakes accordingly. I've yet to see/meet the perfect umpire, thankfully!

JGorms41

Addicted to Softballfans
umps fault. funny though you would think that since he called time he would know that the ball is dead....

CD#5

Addicted to Softballfans
I don't this it's a premature call time, I just think one the pitcher is a d-bag for throwing the ball to 2nd once time was called. The 2nd baseman is a d-bag for tagging your runner and 3rd the ump for not saying "he's safe on 2. Time was called."