Can a Bat Just "Die"?

jeb6294

Addicted to Softballfans
It very well could be me, but can a bat just stop hitting? I've got an OG Freak+ (I was deployed off and on for a while so I wasn't playing for several years and have quite the collection of old bats that are still like new) that used to crush the ball, but it seems lately it's barely getting them out of the infield. I can get my old Combat DaBomb out and the balls start flying again. I've seen plenty of bats break, but this one isn't cracked or anything, it just seems like it's fizzled.

teamriot38

UNKNOWNachilles
I had an OG Salvo that was hitting really good then one day it made a different sound and was a dud. Like something broke on the inside but looked fine on the outside. The handle developed a weird vibration when you tapped the ground as well. So yes, i can see a bat just "die"

2TransAms

Droppin' 280 ft bombs
Bats should just get hotter and hotter til they kick the bucket. But if you've been out for a couple years and started back with .52's you'll notice a difference.

And while it's almost unheard of on SBF, you might be a little rusty. :D

jeb6294

Addicted to Softballfans
It's all with the same balls. I'm talking last Friday hitting balls hard going to dinking ground balls to the 1st and 2nd basemen last night. I'm wondering if I'm just not hitting the ball solid yet since I was off for a while, but I'm still hitting them hard with the Combat.

lawdizzle

The Veteran
Like Psycho said above, could be simply different Cor/Comp ball? Maybe you got a hold of some 52/300's and they didn't feel like the old 44/375? Those OG Miken's are tanks. You may have thought it was broken in, but if it isn't, and you were hitting the mush balls...its probably going to seem dead.

B-radical

Addicted to Softballfans
One would think that they just get better and better till they are in 2 pieces. At least that's what I've gathered from reading the last few years. Most say when they are cracked they are the hottest ever till 2 pieces

And while it's almost unheard of on SBF, you might be a little rusty. :D

:eek:

lawdizzle

The Veteran
Ignore my reference to different balls above then...evidently everyone was responding at the same time lol.

Donger73

Addicted to Softballfans
I had an OG Salvo that was hitting really good then one day it made a different sound and was a dud. Like something broke on the inside but looked fine on the outside. The handle developed a weird vibration when you tapped the ground as well. So yes, i can see a bat just "die"

x2, mine was a Synergy 2

trip

stfu

you don't swing hard enough for a bat to die.

Dars

Addicted to Softballfans
I had an OG Orange Mayhem that went from killing the ball to basically feeling like an Easton Hammer. It lost all pop, and didnt have any cracks or anything. This was back with all Blue Dots, bat just seemed to die inside for some reason.

Debo03

Addicted to Softballfans
It's all with the same balls. I'm talking last Friday hitting balls hard going to dinking ground balls to the 1st and 2nd basemen last night. I'm wondering if I'm just not hitting the ball solid yet since I was off for a while, but I'm still hitting them hard with the Combat.

It could be broken on the inside but from this description I would say there is at least some user error. If you are "dinking ground balls" then it's likely due to your not playing very much. A dead bat should still hit line drives.

If you are hitting line drives and the ball just doesn't seem to come off well then I would say that it could be the bat.

I had a OG orange Connell that did the same thing. Bat was hot as fire then just went dead, no visible cracks or end cap issues. I think it's rare but possible.

-Six-

Weiner
a teammate had a cnt+ that was fire then one day turned to mush. No cracks and tons of webbing but everything sounded like a mush ball and it lost all pop. Inside broke.

Wheels33

Coach
My Miken Ultra750x seems to just died also. It is spiraling pretty bad. It was insane from around hit 100 to 500. Past few weeks it feels like a dud. My buddy told me that happens sometimes when spiraling bad. Said it would comeback to life as hot as hell then will explode soon afterwards. Not sure, first bat that has done this to me. We will see soon tho.

bigcam406

Addicted to Softballfans
ive had a PST and a 2006 Worth Prodigy(2 piece) go dead like the OP's approx. 6 years ago.we were using league balls(red dots) and I use to hit them out on a regular basis.then all of a sudden,they would barely leave the infield.a few friends have had their bats do this as well.

east bay j

The Polish Hammer
My bats seem to die on a regular basis but magically regain their pop when I let someone else use them or when they get wind I am about to let them go?
JJ

moonpie02

Coal Miners DELIGHT!
Have had a cnt+ & og fulk do the "Just Die" thing.Will not pass comp test & sounds like hitting socks.Well worn & webbed but not broken that you can see from outside.Cnt+ was crazy the POOF!!!!

louconn

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
i've heard of this happening with the freak line. the inner sleeve is prolly poopie. but i've also heard of these "dead" bats coming back to life

pontiacfb78

Star Player
My team has a Freak NXT from 2012. I never swing the thing, so blame user error all you want. Everyone was smitten with it when we first got it, then at the end of last season they started complaining that it was dead and we needed a new bat. The consensus seems to be that hitting the harder balls in our fall league, then going back to the 52s in summer might have something to do with it. All the BP so far this year hasn't yielded and complaints yet, but our season doesn't start for another 2 weeks. It might be a Freak thing.

jeb6294

Addicted to Softballfans
Just a quick follow up. Had to break out the Freak+ again last night (see below if you want the extended version). Three AB's...single, HR, HR. Obviously the bat is fine.

After I put my Freak+ away I started using my 29oz endloaded Combat Original from ******** Sports. It's another one that came from the depths of the closet and is actually old enough that it is one of the ones that came with the "BPF 1.20" stamps on it. Since we play GSL now and it's got the 1.20 on it usually it's open season, but there's one umpire who still argues with me about it. We don't see him very often but he was doing our game last night and, since I didn't feel like having the same discussion again, I put it away and got out the Freak+. Guess it's a good thing I did.