Can they kick a team out for no real reason

juice9

Addicted to Softballfans
Local league kicks out team and sponser for no real reason other then winning can they do this?

It is a public league. Team only won two championships in the past ten years. Local sponser is a town taxpaying company along with most players on the team.

My real problem with this is they are saying all players are not welcome back nor can they play for another team.

No player was ever kicked out of a game no trouble on or off the field that I'm aware of.

Last edited:

frigginnuttz

Rally Killer
They did it to my coed team a few years ago we went undefeated 2 years straight so they threw us out... Then the LD's team tried picking up a few of my teammates for there team but the players told them to pound salt

Someone knows something. If no one will tell you, have a 1 0n 1 with the LD and dont worry about getting kicked out for speaking your mind, if you know what i mean. And get some answers

BWood22

Addicted to Softballfans
Done it twice where I live. Team was too good. Highest league we have is basically High E/D teams(tourny teams) and they were a bunch of B/C players. Told them they couldnt enter into the league. Tried a city over. Denied there too.

NCASAUmp

Un-Retired
Municipal league? If you really, REALLY want to find out, you could always file a FoIA request and get any and all emails sent to/from the director regarding your team or players.

But if they don't want you to play, then that may be it. Would you really want to play in a league where you're not welcome?

longball32

Underhand HR hitter
I have a team i throw together with my Dad and a buddies dad so two guys over 55, but there are a couple C and B guys that play ( just a fun friends team) and we have been asked to change nights because the only night we all could play together was a lower league and we were winning pretty bad. But that was the only night we could all play so we just quit the team..

Other leagues around town ive been told i couldnt bring that team to that night either since they were also lower leagues on fridays.. Sucks, but i understand where they are coming from.. If they keep letting upper teams in lower leagues and they see scores of 40-5 it drives the lower teams away from that league and its really not fun winning like that. A bunch of rec guys that dont have a lot of skill just out for some fun and beers run into a upper team getting swings in before tournaments and people get hurt.

Wolfynuts24

Jagoff
I played in this Sunday morning d league across town last year. There was this dude they kicked out of league for a few year's for being to good. He wasn't the best fielder but dude could mash. They finally let him back in last year because he turned 40. It made no sense cause he was still a beast.

ATL Rookie

Manager
Something similar happened last season here. New team to league and signed up for rec. 2 weeks and a combine 100+ runs they were told they were moving to a different night and to the competitive league or they werent playing at all. In the rare case they had enough to play without pickups they dominated, others they picked up randoms. Pretty sure they quit coming at all by midseason.

exccsracer

Scrooge McBase
Local league kicks out team and sponser for no real reason other then winning can they do this?

It is a public league. Team only won two championships in the past ten years. Local sponser is a town taxpaying company along with most players on the team.

My real problem with this is they are saying all players are not welcome back nor can they play for another team.

No player was ever kicked out of a game no trouble on or off the field that I'm aware of.

There is more to this story.

I saw it with a team that won 4 years in a row. They had teams in that league threaten to leave so they didn't allow the winners back. Better to lose one team than four.

NCASAUmp

Un-Retired
I saw it with a team that won 4 years in a row. They had teams in that league threaten to leave so they didn't allow the winners back. Better to lose one team than four.

Seen that happen, too. All it takes is one team to completely **** up a league. My local town used to have a coed league until a team with mashers showed up. And of course, accusations of doctored bats instantly started.

Nothing kills a league faster than drama, and nothing starts drama faster than bull**** about bats, regardless of whether there's any truth to it.

juice9

Addicted to Softballfans
There is more to this story.

Yes there is we are a very good team in that league. The few real good players are over 40. I'm 47 I have no issue that they do not want me to play in the league. I had the feeling they did not want me there last year no biggee. I played because of friends and family.

My issue is with the other players who only play in this league. I do not think it is far for them to be kicked out. We were told all players cannot play in the league and the sponser is not welcome.

Most are taxpayers in the town it is a public field. I would think the town would take exception to them kicking out taxpayers and bullying certain people.

NCASAUmp

Un-Retired
Yes there is we are a very good team in that league. The few real good players are over 40. I'm 47 I have no issue that they do not want me to play in the league. I had the feeling they did not want me there last year no biggee. I played because of friends and family.

My issue is with the other players who only play in this league. I do not think it is far for them to be kicked out. We were told all players cannot play in the league and the sponser is not welcome.

Most are taxpayers in the town it is a public field. I would think the town would take exception to them kicking out taxpayers and bullying certain people.

And the reason they gave is...?

Something just isn't adding up here. If a league kicked me out, I'd want to know exactly why, but that part of the story has been missing so far.

sjury

The Old Man
This is happening more now. Leagues want to keep the league competitive, and a couple big ballers can change a team from a rec team to a d/e team in no time. The biggest death blow to a league is a tourney team, using the excuse of playing with friends, joining a rec/bar league, where cut off jean shorts and wife beaters with sharpie numbers on the back are the team uniforms., and run ruling everyone and shooting middle because they can.

juice9

Addicted to Softballfans
And the reason they gave is...?

Something just isn't adding up here. If a league kicked me out, I'd want to know exactly why, but that part of the story has been missing so far.

To make it more competitive. What does that really mean? Why not let the players that are just ok players play no reason to ban them.

To be honest I find it sad. no one is hitting middle no one is getting hurt.

ni1ck

Addicted to Softballfans
Don't know the situation but there probably is a legitimate reason, money, competition, etc. I see no problem with an LD telling a team that is far better than all the others teams to find a new league. It is not fun to lose really bad and if you enjoy beating every team 30-3 then their is something wrong with you. My team joined a new league a few years ago and ran through it like a freight train. We didn't know the league was bad so it was an honest mistake but we didn't go back. Not sure why a team would continue to go back to the same night in the same league to beat up on lower competition. Either lose a few of the better players or move to a different night league.

sjury

The Old Man
Not true.... around here there are competitive leagues and rec leagues. But what happens is some of the competitive teams want to play more then two nights, while others only play one or two. These teams want to play together, instead of getting out with family, coworkers, other friends, so they join a rec league to "get some swings in". Which is BS. It would be different if one or two "upper level" guys were on each team. The majority of guys in softball are rec players that play one night a week, never BP, don;t play on the weekends, and are in it for the beer after the game, then E, then D then C, etc etc to Majors, each step being exponentially smaller. So if an area offers 100 rec leagues and only two competitive leagues for D/C players it's the nature of the beast, and to say teams should get better is just foolish, because they have no interest in getting competitive at an activity. They same the same stuff, "If you want to play competitive ball then find a competitive league." and there are more of them then us.

Most guys on SBF don't understand this logic, because we all hit 400 foot bombs, and bat .900 in National tournaments.

WarHorse

Star Player
Most guys on SBF don't understand this logic, because we all hit 400 foot bombs, and bat .900 in National tournaments.

Only 400? I bunt 400 feet but only with my ground rule double bat.

I think it would be more productive to split the team up and get the players put on other teams to keep it competitive, than to ban a team. Banning a team just leaves a bad taste in my mouth.

ATL Rookie

Manager
If you are in an area with no competitive leagues, get a roster of 75+ players (6-7 teams) that want to join a competitive league and submit it to your LD. I find it very hard to believe that an LD would decline a competitive league that has the interest already. It may even help his rec leagues by moving some of the players out of rec that have no business in rec.

ni1ck

Addicted to Softballfans
Maybe I live in good softball area SE Wisconsin/NE Illinois but their good competition within an hour every night of the week. I'm just not sure how people can have fun playing a bunch of guys in jean shorts winning each game 30-5. It can also be a safety issue, if you have a bunch of guys who can rocket a ball through the infield and the other teams have a 50 year old computer programmer at 3rd then that guy is in danger of being hurt much more so than most people. Its not the responsibility of the teams to get better, its the responsibility of each team to find a league they are suitable to be playing in. And if there are none in your area than your team should be split up into different teams.

juice9

Addicted to Softballfans
Again I can understanding being told we need you to tone down your team or break up the team or having certain players not welcome back because you feel there level of play is to high for that league. Also LD runs his on team and plays in the league.

My issue is having all players banned and sponser banned.

I never said we were beating teams 30-6. There is a few players on the team that are not very good so we did not have a tourney team in league by any means. We had the oldest players with ease average age prob around 36.

rhound50

Rec Coed Superstar
League directors make money by adding teams to their leagues, to ban a team, all their player and their sponsor sounds like something else is going on here that you either don't know about or aren't telling us.