Canada rec scene ?

giovannig

Was going to post this Q in the Canada forum, but seems deserted.

I wanted to know a bit about the rec scene up north. Chiefly, is there one in Ontario? And during winter months, which I guess is more than half the year, is there “dome play”?

Could be moving up there to follow the wife, and I’m panicking. Terrified that I’ll have to leave the NYC softball scene.

In the Greater Toronto Area, there are lots and lots of rec leagues during the summer. And in the winter months, there are numerous leagues and weekend tournaments playing. Check out the "Toronto & GTA Softball Group" group in the book of face.

Don1952

Addicted to Softballfans
Ontario is a big province.What part of Ontario are you looking to settle down.As far as rec softball there are leagues all over.

giovannig

Nobody likes the Clincher...except pitchers, of course

Personally, I do prefer the clincher for safety reasons. Green ball slow-pitch rec, with exit velocities well over 100, on little league field dimensions, seems a bit dangerous TBH.

the NYC softball scene is trash to be honest and anything would be an upgrade

I agree the fields are absolutely abysmal. And maybe the clincher feels a bit "JV". But the community and engagement is yuuuge. And guys are playing meetups even now, with weather above 40. And some planning indoor tournaments. Why I asked if domes are a regular thing in Canada

giovannig

Ontario is a big province.What part of Ontario are you looking to settle down.As far as rec softball there are leagues all over.

Completely up in the air, but most likely wont be in the "greater" areas of big cities. Can only hope the drive, wont be too many hours.

hitsone

If you are going to commute up from NY the biggest delay could be at any border crossing.
Look into getting a nexus border pass, you can take the fat lane

Hiltz

Built for comfort
He's talking about moving to Ontario, not driving across the border for softball games.

kvander

Addicted to Softballfans
When you figure out where you are moving to, post on the Canadian site and people will give you the scoop

T Dot

Extra Hitter
I am in Chicago now, but home is Toronto. There is huge rec play in Toronto with plenty of dome play. Hopefully you are moving to Toronto?

Geezer000

Addicted to Softballfans
No matter where you go in southwestern Ontario you'll find something to play. I wouldn't worry about it. Let us know where you end up

giovannig

Hey gang, looks like I have more info on where we'd wind up settling. We have somewhat of a choice and I can have some influence on ranking these. Obviously job prospects are top priority, so while GTA is NOT an option, Ottawa might be. But could also be be one of these..

London
Kingston
Chatham-Kent
Niagara
Windsor
Ottawa
Sudbury

If you had to pick based on softball, where you guys rank them?

Don1952

Addicted to Softballfans
London has lots of softball in the area.Dorchester is a short drive from London has Slow Pitch City 8 diamonds which has rec leagues through the week and several weekend tournaments rec up to A, B,C & D ball

Hey gang, looks like I have more info on where we'd wind up settling. We have somewhat of a choice and I can have some influence on ranking these. Obviously job prospects are top priority, so while GTA is NOT an option, Ottawa might be. But could also be be one of these..

London
Kingston
Chatham-Kent
Niagara
Windsor
Ottawa
Sudbury

T Dot

Extra Hitter

London
Kingston
Chatham-Kent
Niagara
Windsor
Ottawa
Sudbury

London and Ottawa would be the only 2 places I would consider on that list. I am considering everything beyond softball as well. Ottawa is a bilingual city. If French isn't for you, then Ottawa may not be the place for you. That leaves London.

Good luck with your decision.