Car wax on a bat

louconn

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
yeh, i've heard of people putting super glue on cracks and all other sorts of nonsense. people will try to do anything for an edge or prolong their bat's life.

RalphG427

On the bench
So washing/waxing your car is pointless then? because it doesn't affect the performance of the car, it just makes it look nicer. Yes, I just went there with a car reference. Why is it such a crime that someone wants to keep something they spent a lot of money on looking as nice as possible?

RalphG427

On the bench
and another note, you would be amazed at what cleaning up a bat will do for sale price. I bought a bat on here covered in pine tar and the grip tape was orange from the dirt. It sat on the boards for weeks, price drop after price drop. I bought it, cleaned all of the tar and ball marks off of it and hit it with a nice coat of wax to bring the shine back. Took all of the old grip tape off and just put a layer of fresh black tape on the grip. Used the bat for a little bit and didn't really like it. Put it up for sale on here and it sold for $40 more than I bought it for the same day I put it up.

NDshotokan

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
Why is it such a crime that someone wants to keep something they spent a lot of money on looking as nice as possible?

It's not a crime, but a $10,000-$30,000 vehicle is a little different than a $100-$300 softball bat. :rolleyes:

But hell, polish it, wax it, rub your baby juice on it... I don't care. But if you violate the association rules, you won't be able to use it. IJS.

and another note, you would be amazed at what cleaning up a bat will do for sale price. I bought a bat on here covered in pine tar and the grip tape was orange from the dirt. It sat on the boards for weeks, price drop after price drop. I bought it, cleaned all of the tar and ball marks off of it and hit it with a nice coat of wax to bring the shine back. Took all of the old grip tape off and just put a layer of fresh black tape on the grip. Put it up for sale on here, claimed 400 swings less than it actually had, and it sold for $40 more than I bought it for the same day I put it up.

Fixed it for ya.

louconn

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
So washing/waxing your car is pointless then? because it doesn't affect the performance of the car, it just makes it look nicer. Yes, I just went there with a car reference. Why is it such a crime that someone wants to keep something they spent a lot of money on looking as nice as possible?

cause its a bat, designed to hit balls and be thrown around in the dirt. i clean my bats once every couple months, but a wax job? you prolly paint ur fingernails n ****.

RalphG427

On the bench
I never claim any number of swings on any bat that I am not the original owner of so say what you want. I just love how people get all up in arms over someone that takes care of their equipment. There's nothing wrong either way. I would love to see an ump call out a bat because it looks shiny and the guy might have waxed it. I am sure there is a direct correlation between this and someone that paints their fingernails lou....good call on that one

Cobb

Addicted to Softballfans
I never claim any number of swings on any bat that I am not the original owner of so say what you want. I just love how people get all up in arms over someone that takes care of their equipment. There's nothing wrong either way. I would love to see an ump call out a bat because it looks shiny and the guy might have waxed it. I am sure there is a direct correlation between this and someone that paints their fingernails lou....good call on that one

Cleaning your bats is one thing, adding a substance to it is not cleaning.

RalphG427

On the bench
I guess I am a lousy cheater then, occasionly putting some spray wax on a bat to bring the shine back. I might as well just go all out and shave it. Watch out because that guy put a little bit of clear coat over the ASA stamp that is on the end of the barrel in the hopes of being able to use the bat longer. Watch out, might add 50 feet and 30 mph to his mit hits off of the end of the bat! I better take the wax off with a brillo pad but ****! i just altered the bat more because I could have taken some of the factory finish off of it now! Do you really think it makes a difference in performance? If anything I would think any kind of polish would decrease the performance because of less bite on the ball as some have mentioned already. Get a grip and worry about the real problems this game has.

louconn

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
whats wrong with painting fingernails? I learned it from Dave Grohl and now I get the ladies too.

like 45 more posts and you can check out my foo fighter thread in the lounge. i hate those guys.

i may be wrong, but it appears you are the only one up in arms over this whole thing. i personally dont give a **** what people do to their equipment. i clean mine every once in a while. but if someone is waxing their ****, thats taking it a bit far. like some compulsive disorder type ****. probably bust out the touchup paint too. wax it and buff that ****. looks newer than new. all types of clear coat looking like its got a wrapper on it and it doesnt....

Cobb

Addicted to Softballfans
I guess I am a lousy cheater then, occasionly putting some spray wax on a bat to bring the shine back. I might as well just go all out and shave it. Watch out because that guy put a little bit of clear coat over the ASA stamp that is on the end of the barrel in the hopes of being able to use the bat longer. Watch out, might add 50 feet and 30 mph to his mit hits off of the end of the bat! I better take the wax off with a brillo pad but ****! i just altered the bat more because I could have taken some of the factory finish off of it now! Do you really think it makes a difference in performance? If anything I would think any kind of polish would decrease the performance because of less bite on the ball as some have mentioned already. Get a grip and worry about the real problems this game has.

Why u mad bro? Rules are rules.

swingnmiss

#1 IN YOUR HEARTS
i may be wrong, but it appears you are the only one up in arms over this whole thing. i personally dont give a **** what people do to their equipment. i clean mine every once in a while. but if someone is waxing their ****, thats taking it a bit far. like some compulsive disorder type ****. probably bust out the touchup paint too. wax it and buff that ****. looks newer than new. all types of clear coat looking like its got a wrapper on it and it doesnt....

I clean and wax my bats...............Why?? They're easier to clean up to resell or trade.....Just like someone taking care of their car so that they have a higher value on a trade in........This is wrong somehow?

louconn

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
I clean and wax my bats...............Why?? They're easier to clean up to resell or trade.....Just like someone taking care of their car so that they have a higher value on a trade in........This is wrong somehow?

if you're really worried about the $15 profit/trade value margin of a ball marked bat and a shiny bat, you should probably re-evaluate your thinking. you have to figure in the cost of car wax, so the margin is even smaller. and on top of that, i know ur bull****ting me, you just want your **** to look pretty.

Sinyk

Addicted to Softballfans
if you're really worried about the $15 profit/trade value margin of a ball marked bat and a shiny bat, you should probably re-evaluate your thinking. you have to figure in the cost of car wax, so the margin is even smaller. and on top of that, i know ur bull****ting me, you just want your **** to look pretty.

It takes very little wax to polish a bat, I don't think the cost of the wax is very relevant to the argument. Also, it's not like people wax their bats monthly. At least I hope not... :confused:

swingnmiss

#1 IN YOUR HEARTS

It makes them easier to clean and move when the time comes. Not so much that I make more money off of them, but when I list them I sell them for the price I want in no time at all.

extrmhntr

Addicted to Softballfans
Rules are rules.

I'm just curious about this. From all the people that say its altering a bat and what not since you are putting a foreign substance on the bat, wouldn't ball marks on a bat be considered a foreign substance since at the time it came from the factory it wasn't there. I mean if you wanna get real technical with it then you have to go that route too.

Sinyk

Addicted to Softballfans
I'm just curious about this. From all the people that say its altering a bat and what not since you are putting a foreign substance on the bat, wouldn't ball marks on a bat be considered a foreign substance since at the time it came from the factory it wasn't there. I mean if you wanna get real technical with it then you have to go that route too.

well said!

louconn

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

pretty sure balls being used for softball with softball bats which they were intended for would not be considered "foreign". but i see what you're saying, i would not consider it cheating like some of these d bags.

extrmhntr

Addicted to Softballfans
Yes the balls would not be. But leather residue, which I have heard a number of guys on this forum say they feel the ball marks help with spin placement on the ball, would be considered enhancement of the bats performance if you want to go overboard with it. All I'm saying is yes you can be completely absurd with your definition of rules but when you do that it opens the door for people to get technical across the board with every portion of the rule. But thank you for for agreeing. I don't think it's cheating but that my opinion.

tt15

Addicted to Softballfans
Is putting clear nail polish over the "ASA" stamps on a Miken Recoil cheating? Caus I may know someone who does that :eek:

louconn

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Yes the balls would not be. But leather residue, which I have heard a number of guys on this forum say they feel the ball marks help with spin placement on the ball, would be considered enhancement of the bats performance if you want to go overboard with it. All I'm saying is yes you can be completely absurd with your definition of rules but when you do that it opens the door for people to get technical across the board with every portion of the rule. But thank you for for agreeing. I don't think it's cheating but that my opinion.

im not saying anything else without my attorney present.

Outfielder

Manager
To remove marks, I use 3m rubbing compound. To shine it up I use Perfect It. No one needs to know and why would it be illegal.