Any Catcher Positioning

ImminentDanger

Up and Over
Do you, as an Umpire, have a preference of where/how the catcher positions himself?

I've seen catchers in every conceivable position behind home plate... I've even seen the Ump take a position to the opposite side of the catcher (not even directly behind homeplate) in order to see past the catcher (I assume looking to see where the ball hits the dirt??!!??)...

Just wondering what your preference is?

%%%

Last edited:

NCASAUmp

Un-Retired
Out of my way! :D

No, seriously. As long as you're not at the very back of the catcher's box (which ends 10 feet behind the batters' boxes), and as long as you're not blocking my view, I don't care one way or another where you are. You can stand, squat, kneel, whatever. Don't care.

Just don't block my view, and for god's sake, stop stepping on my ****ing toes!

BretMan

Addicted to Softballfans
By rule, the catcher has to be within the catcher's box and positioned so as to not interfere with the batter. If he can at least do that, I'm happy!

I suppose if I had to pick a personal preference, it would be for the catcher to be set up low and right behind the plate, a few feet back off of it. That let's me get the best look at the pitch and the strike zone. But, if he doesn't, that's his business and I will adjust, either moving up, back, in or out to accomodate him.

I see some catchers take some pretty strange positions! They can do that, within the rules. But why would you want to set up in some way that obscures the strike zone or makes it more difficult for the umpire to see the pitch? You can if you want, but you aren't doing your team or your pitcher any favors!

RDD15

Addicted to Softballfans
Assuming that there is no stealing in the game that I am playing in, my rule when I catch is to ask the ump while my pitcher warms up before the first inning "Is this a decent place for me to stand?". If he says that it is, I tell him that if I get in his way at all during the game, to just let me know, and I will get out of his way. If he says I am in a bad spot, I ask him what works better for him.

With no stealing, the ump has a much tougher job to do while the pitch is coming in than the catcher does.

VF500Racer

Addicted to Softballfans
I prefer the UMP not close enough to hump me
the few times I catch. :eek::D
[My team-mates were grossed out/worried a few times] :p

and I prefer the catcher not to crouch and then stand
straight up w/ head up/back (almost taking a few on chin)
and block my view.

I usually prefer inside and then outside plate corner
view line flanking the catcher and behind by 1-2 steps
so I can still see entire strike zone even if catcher
stands up.

USSSA

The Veteran
learned a long time ago to were pads on legs, they re like the knee pads, push them down they cover the legs and protect them from catchers who cant catch

I dont wear shorts, dont want to showup the girls:)

ImminentDanger

Up and Over
please catch the ball!!! Or at least keep it from hitting my shins!!!!

YEH - LOL :) - I bet if the catcher got a strike on them at their next at bat if they missed the ball and it hit the Ump, they'd learn real quick to catch the ball, or block it or knock it down....

I don't need the Ump upset with my team - I need him to call my pitches STRIKES!! :D

%%%

Fatt_Tony_13

Fatt boy on a diet...
I have never played without a strike mat. Usually as catcher I stand a couple feet behind the mat and the ump stands off to the side a bit.

NCASAUmp

Un-Retired
please catch the ball!!! Or at least keep it from hitting my shins!!!!

Two words.

Shin. Guards. ;)

I will say this much - I typically don't have this problem in tourneys, especially at Nationals when they allow stealing. Teams put a pretty good fielder back there, and it becomes an enjoyable experience.

NCASAUmp

Un-Retired
This is THE answer.

I know, right? Base shoes (more common in slow pitch when behind the plate) offer no protection to the toes from cleats. I don't want to break out actual plate shoes with steel toes in a slow pitch game. Too ***bersome.