Cement like fields

RLead

The ONE!
I need to figure out a decent way to approach the guy who maintains our fields. They are like cement with a light dusting on them. The ball picks up speed when it hits the infield and the hops are vicious ... to the face instead of chest on a bad hop.

They never dig up the thing. Any good ideas?

Prodigy5883

Addicted to Softballfans
Not really...most people/places who maintain the fields do the least they can so they can save / make money. Good luck though

msc2360

reformed bat huer
if they have a proper drag machine, they need to drop the teeth on it to help break up the dirt, then drag it to smooth it out... we have that problem with some of the fields I play on...

Torqd

On here way to much
I need to figure out a decent way to approach the guy who maintains our fields. They are like cement with a light dusting on them. The ball picks up speed when it hits the infield and the hops are vicious ... to the face instead of chest on a bad hop.

Must play at Northside in Norfolk, Va.

moorerm04

Addicted to Softballfans
Need to pull a a Tine Harrow, and then drag it smooth, then a little water on them to soften them and keep the dust down.

Brewzer

NW Vinci Rep
We will have rain for two weeks straight and the first day we can play our fields will be like cement. We are charged almost 1K to play which is about double comapred to 5 years ago and the fields have only gotten worse. They know they will get thier money and they don't GAF about the fields.

MichelleG

Addicted to Softballfans
You could try pointing out that it's a safety issue and they might get sued....but I doubt that'll help either.

birdman12

Addicted to Softballfans
we have the same problem with hard fields...we use a heavy nail drag and then smooth it and water it, all it does is create alot of dust then hardens back up after a day in the sun.

Superstar555

Addicted to Softballfans

Welcome to nearly every field in Texas.

If you figure it out let me know please. Our league fees go up every year and the fields stay the same. They just throw fresh powder over everything. By time the 2nd game of the nite is played the batters box is 4 inches below plate level

SMAC

mmmmmm...beeeer
if they have a proper drag machine, they need to drop the teeth on it to help break up the dirt, then drag it to smooth it out... we have that problem with some of the fields I play on...

Pretty much every field in MN metro area is like this as well. Very thin coating of dirt with the hard cement like ground under it. Sad thing is that they have the proper equipment, but do not use it correctly and never get deep enough. Nothing like charging in playing the ball off the short hop only to have it bounce straight up and smoke your forearm.

ImminentDanger

Up and Over
Unless they care (which they don't) it's unlikely you can make them do anything right....

In a perfect world, they would take the time to make the dirt right (mixing in clay, sand, etc. to obtain the right consistency)...

In a slightly less perfect world, they would entertain you getting a few guys together and paying you to do what was necessary...

BUT --- In your actual world it's likely to be --- "Shut up and pay your fees -- which are going up next year..."

RLead

The ONE!
The part that is the most frustrating is that I have played in several tournaments in the area that are in tiny little towns, a couple of which do not even have a league. The fields are kept up for youth and a couple tournaments each year. The fields in these little tiny towns are great!

I am going to call on Thursday and see if I can't reason with the guy about doing something. They plan to put $220k into the lighting next year. They could hold back $20k and put it into some prochoice mixed in the current mix and drag it with bolts/nails twice per week and then just a daily drag to smooth it out.

With all the tournaments and leagues held here it has to be worth it.

tippin20s

My shin hates our Tuesday night field, bad hops galore. You learn to play the ball a little differently, or else you'll wear it.

Goosepimp

Insane Dedication
44a1d09b.jpg

ichiromoco

Addicted to Softballfans

We once called out the field crew since our field was rained out more than any other field around by far. Didn't go over well .