NSA Cheater Bat Question

chewgravel219

Addicted to Softballfans
While watching a game the other night, I was sitting near two young guys discussing shaved bats.
The one guy was pointing out which bats the one team was using that he knew were shaved. Because he plays WITH the guys that had the bats.

The other guy was saying he just got his bat shaved, and couldn't wait to get it back, yada yada.

My question is can/will an umpire check a bat just because someone says they know it is a cheater bat? Or is the only way a bat can be taken if someone gets hurt?

If someone calls out the bat and the player is dumb enough to admit it is shaved, what happens? Is the player banned? Game forfeited? Coach in trouble as well?

Thanks.

Country35

Banned User
In my opinion if you call someones bat out you better have the cash to pony up if the slice and it aint diced....On that note their needs to be actual evidence to look into it...ie extreme peformance, sounds different, weight it off what its supposed to be....there are alot of liars on both sides of the issue

An ump can perform an inspection on the field if they feel like it. I have no idea what they're looking for when they do that (and who knows if they do).

During an NSA league you're only probably going to see a bat taken if it's someone admits to it or someone gets hurt.

I don't know off hand what the NSA league penalty is because I can't see a association banning coming from a league situation. It's a bit of an extreme scenario.

Last edited:

mlp2435

Shinin'
an ump cant just look at a bat and say its shaved. needs to be cut open. better hope you are right or you are paying for it

Fin09

Addicted to Softballfans
Pony up the protest fee and make it an official protest- just be sure you don't have any teammates who are swinging dirty sticks, or it's going to get really ugly. This is my biggest issue with the game today- there are channels to go through to get altered bats out of the game, but since so many teams won't put theirs away, they aren't going to protest someone else's.

MrEye

Addicted to Softballfans
I'll never understand these guys. Do they brag about stealing $10 from their mother's purse as well? To me, it's the same thing. You're breaking a rule. Why would you ever brag and be proud about that?

chewgravel219

Addicted to Softballfans
For those saying put up or shut up (not in so many words, LOL), that's not really what I was asking.

Just what would happen if say, an umpire would have overheard these two or if someone who overheard went to an ump?

Combat28Mech

Addicted to Softballfans
yeah but how do you know whats fact or fiction. People say and do stupid things for stupid reasons so are they saying it to try to be the big boys at the field cause lately having a shaved bat is like smoking your only cool if you do it or is it really true. Hard to say and just cause a guy is 150 and dropping bombs doesn't mean his bats shaved....

Fireman35

Extra Hitter
they can test the compression on a bat and deem it illegal for play, it wouldnt matter if it was worked or rolled or bone stock and very well broke in, if it doesnt pass the compression test it wont be allowed. Most umpires wont get involved unless someone gets hurt,and they wont confiscate a bat on hear say..that would be standard nsa business.

TheBatman42

No more MV1 Threads!
Hard to say and just cause a guy is 150 and dropping bombs doesn't mean his bats shaved....

I'm starting to believe this more. Two of my regular home run hitters aren't real big. One is about 5'6" and 150, great bat speed and good hitter...absolutely refuses to swing glass. The other is about 6' 170 range...again, great bat speed and good hitter.

Some guys can flat muscle a ball out and other just have good form/good bat speed.

Joe@OaklandYard

Starting Player
There's lots of talk about shaved/rolled bats and we all know they're out there but let's be real. What percentage of the guys you play with or against actually play with shaved/rolled bats? What percentage of players can you say, with absolute certainty, use them regularly?

I'm not asking for names and examples. I'm just curious about what's fact and what's fiction.

thomlch

The Rookie
There's lots of talk about shaved/rolled bats and we all know they're out there but let's be real. What percentage of the guys you play with or against actually play with shaved/rolled bats? What percentage of players can you say, with absolute certainty, use them regularly?

I'm not asking for names and examples. I'm just curious about what's fact and what's fiction.

I may just be naive but I don't think there is a ton going on where I play.

mhansen

Starting Player
This issue will never go away cause there is the mentality amongst players that believe "if you aint cheatin, you aint competing." I don't agree with it personally but it is a major part of the game especially in tournaments. Listen to the bat if it sounds like a shotgun or high powered rifle and looks brand new might be something dishonest in the bat.

johnnyn1322

Addicted to Softballfans
Having an altered bat...LOL they still have to swing it, I picked up an OG juggernaut off one of the board bros! I hit it a mile! Blue asked me after the game if it was fixed, i'm like no, i just got it 2 days ago literally!

you can have the best bat in the world, but if you can't swing it, it aint gonna matter what you swing...I had a nanotek that i swung better than a 1 pc composite, be since going to Demarini Comp 2 PC, i'm just a lethal weapon!

johnnyn1322

Addicted to Softballfans
they can test the compression on a bat and deem it illegal for play, it wouldnt matter if it was worked or rolled or bone stock and very well broke in, if it doesnt pass the compression test it wont be allowed. Most umpires wont get involved unless someone gets hurt,and they wont confiscate a bat on hear say..that would be standard nsa business.

they do this at worlds.....

JGorms41

Addicted to Softballfans

in nj? 80%

oppo

Coach

It depends. In rec ball, you probably won't see many. In tournament ball, there are a LOT of them.

franknwhit

Game on!
If you don't have a altered bat going to tourneys, good chance your not going to win. I noticed a lot this past season and will probalby see a lot more this coming season. Gee chances are their might be one in my bat bag.

If you don't have a altered bat going to tourneys, good chance your not going to win. I noticed a lot this past season and will probalby see a lot more this coming season. Gee chances are their might be one in my bat bag.

and why is that,i play with the kids in league's/tourney's and we don't use any,and we do ok,in fact have won leagues,if we lose its not b/c we don't have cheater bats.

and why would you do that,your becoming part of the problem than,call out the ones you know who are using them.