Choosing who plays where?

Ferrari1

Addicted to Softballfans
we normally put the fattest in the OF and guys with no range at SS and 2nd and the fastest guys at pitcher an catcher other then that we fill in from there

rotogrip300

Addicted to Softballfans
We put the fat guys in the outfield and the people that are afraid to get in front of the ball in the infield. We put the best player at catcher so he doesn't get hurt and put the oldest guy on the mound so other teams have a better chance at hitting him.

dponder

Addicted to Softballfans
First come, first served. If you're fast, you get any position you want on the field.

TheBigKahuna

The Veteran
The immobile ones play 1st and catcher, sometimes pitch. The athletes who can run play outfield. And the semi quick ones with an arm play 3rd and SS. Unless it's co-ed, then none of that matters...you've got 4 or 5 holes in your defense no matter what you do!

shindig153

Addicted to Softballfans
Be up front with your players and tell them positions are subject to change. If something is not working out with a position then you need to try to fix it. This is a team sport and most people playing it are adult or a least I assume they are. This approach works well for my team and if someone has a problem with it they can be mad, quit or be replaced. Nip is in th a** before it starts. We have a great group of guys on my team and all are willing to do what it takes to improve.

BigBL87

29 oz, you say?
The immobile ones play 1st and catcher, sometimes pitch. The athletes who can run play outfield. And the semi quick ones with an arm play 3rd and SS. Unless it's co-ed, then none of that matters...you've got 4 or 5 holes in your defense no matter what you do!
This, except if you have someone who is a legit 1B and can play the position well, put him there over just a slow guy. A good 1B can make an infield look great.

PHXCobra

Addicted to Softballfans
League, play wherever you want. It's all for fun anyway.

Tournament, people have a pretty good idea what they are good at and most of the time you've played together before so.....

Shrek82

Banned User
This, except if you have someone who is a legit 1B and can play the position well, put him there over just a slow guy. A good 1B can make an infield look great.

this is the mother****ing truth! i know, i play ss and 2b and one of my team my 1b cant pick his ****ing nose...help me out a little bit man!

Swinging Bunt

Addicted to Softballfans
We let all the players pick where to play. Sometimes we'll have 6 outfielders and other times there will be 2. We tried not carrying a catcher once but our pitcher hates having to walk to the backstop if the batter doesn't swing. Oh wait, are we talking about BP or an actual game?

xethicx

Addicted to Softballfans
For me I have two types of players on my team, people that can only play one position and people that are very versatile. I try my best to make sure people are in positions where theyre effective and yet also comfortable.

For example, I have one guy that is amazing wherever I put him, he loves playing shortstop but I have another guy that is decent at short and not very effective anywhere else apart from maybe 2 bag. The awesome guy plays in the outfield most of the time but he also knows the score and knows he has a lot of value in CF.

So basically, I have a lot of practices and scrubs before the season starts, I move people around and see where they excel and seem comfortable, then I talk to them about where Im thinking about putting them most of the time and see what they say about it.

dave2130

Addicted to Softballfans

this is 100% accurate... i play/coach co-ed for my work, and it is a headache every game

FlashTheLeather

Addicted to Softballfans
How does your team do it?

Senority? Tryouts? Captain/Coach decides? Chaos? Vote? Who can kick who's ass? etc.

If you built a tournament team without having positions already in mind, then you might as well play everyone wherever they want because the result is going to be the same.

rlopezjr1977

King EUUUUPPPPP
How does your team do it?

Senority? Tryouts? Captain/Coach decides? Chaos? Vote? Who can kick who's ass? etc.

We always go by who plays that position best. On our team it is 2 sided you have to hit as much as you play D. We can live with our Pitcher and SS hitting 500 but the rest better hit 650-700 otherwise you are replacable.

BIGPAPA33

ULTRA MEGA
That is how I think it should be... do what's best for the team. Team is half new guys and I already see the "he's my bro, so therefore he's better than you" mentality brewing.

Yeah...played on teams like that. When I coached I didn't care how good of friends I was with teammates...I put the best at each position. Feelings got hurt, but winning took care of that. If it's just a BS fun league then I wouldn't care, but if not I would look for another team.

BigBL87

29 oz, you say?
My comment was facetious.

Haha, I figured but in all honesty depending on your team's talent level what you said can be true. 1B can be a throw away position for non-athletic, less athletic, or declining guys, heck look at the MLB and you can see it there. True defensive first basemen are becoming rarer and rarer at all levels, much less in the recreational game of softball.

HrBump13

Addicted to Softballfans
We find out where each person likes to play & then evaluate them in practice in order to form our team & iron out positions. Tell everyone that they will be placed in positions according to the needs of the TEAM. Folks rarely complain once they all see the talent/lack of said talent amidst the entire team. They usually get it.

DOM713

Addicted to Softballfans
Put guys where they will be able to make all or most of the routine plays, and if you have a couple guys who can make all the routine plays and have a lot of range stick them at SS or LCF/CF. It's nice when you have guys who can get to balls that would usually be hit and give themselves a chance to make a play on em.

Dysfunctional

Don't be hatin'
and if you have a couple guys who can make all the routine plays and have a lot of range stick them at SS or LCF/CF. It's nice when you have guys who can get to balls that would usually be hit and give themselves a chance to make a play on em.

That would be me ;)

Playing this weekend... It was said to me "I think we should let him play wherever he wants..." so sounds like my pos is pretty solid, although I'm a little skeptical of who's in a few positions. I'll just keep catching everything within 150' of me :p and stay quiet untill I'm asked my opinion.

Snakes914

Addicted to Softballfans
if you can afford to, dont rule out putting someone who doesnt have the range but with talent behind the dish instead of say first base. cant tell you how many games have been decided by great plays by our catcher picking the ball and putting the tag on. this is also league play so it may not mean s**t