Cleaning your gamer

A Cy 617

Dad, Fire fighter, bat flipper.
Maybe I am sick in the head but after every game I make sure I give my glove a good wipe down with a lightly damp face cloth. Do you think this could damage the leather? Am I crazy? Am I the only one who does this? I want my gamer to stay pretty forever.

Phantomblack

Addicted to Softballfans
I tend to do it maybe twice a season. Reason being, every time you wipe a glove down, you are removing some dye from the leather which causes it to fade.

Rous

Addicted to Softballfans
I don't think you'll damage the leather, but yeah, the black dye will eventually fade. I now just do a good cleaning once per year... helps that I have a tan glove which shows less dirt. My black Vinci seemed to always be begging for a cleaning.

DIRTY 30

I do it all the time to mine. A light wiping will not remove any dye and get most of the surface dirt off. If you start trying to scrub stains, that's when the dye will start to come off.

A Cy 617

Dad, Fire fighter, bat flipper.
I do it all the time to mine. A light wiping will not remove any dye and get most of the surface dirt off. If you start trying to scrub stains, that's when the dye will start to come off.

I definitely don't scrub. I am just trying to knock off all the loose dust on the glove. Maybe I'll see how it looks in a year and ill get my own answer

DIRTY 30

I mean, just look at the rag while you're doing it. If it's brown, you're doing it right, if it's black, then stop.

Rous

Addicted to Softballfans
I mean, just look at the rag while you're doing it. If it's brown, you're doing it right, if it's black, then stop.

FTW!!!

...but what if you have a brown glove?

I do find that black gloves tend to give up dye more easily than tan ones. There have been some that no matter how lightly I wipe with a damp cloth, as soon as I try to get between the fingers or between the web and chassis, the cloth will pick up the black.

BretMan

Addicted to Softballfans
"Lightly damp" is the key. You're not going to hurt anything with a slightly damp rag and a light wipe-down. What you don't want to do is saturate the glove with water. If it's just dust, you might not even need to dampen the rag. Just wiping off the dust with a clean towel might be all you need to do.

Heavily saturating a glove with water is a glove killer! Have you ever seen a glove that's been left out in the rain? It ain't purdy.

We all know that oil and water don't mix. When a glove gets saturated, two bad things can happen. First, the water that soaks through the leather will displace the natural oils (oil and water don't mix). The oils will be driven to the surface and evaporated away. I've seen a few gloves that got left in the rain wind up being as hard as a rock.

The other bad thing is that when water reaches the interior leather or padding they tend to stay damp longer than the outer shell, because no air can circulate to it to let it dry. That sets up perfect conditions for mold and mildew to form.

I usually clean my glove a few times a season, just when it needs it. I've used a damp rag before. What I really like to use is my magic conditioner rag!

Since I condition a lot of gloves, I have some rags (actually, square sections cut from an old cotton t-shirt) that get used for nothing but conditioner. One of them I've used to apply everything from lanolin to Lexol to vaseline, to the point that the rag is kind of permanently saturated a bit from the residue. You can grab this rag and wipe down a glove real fast, getting off any loose dust or dirt and giving the leather a very light conditioning, all at the same time.

chrometip78

The Hungarian Barbarian
  • I use a microfiber cloth for drying cars, just leave it dry and wipe dust off the glove, works good and leaves a little shine after awhile.
  • Lexol sprayed on the same type cloth between seasons or whenever dirt sticks to it.
  • More intense cleaning at end of year, nothing directly on the glove (apply to cloth first), let dry 3-5 days depending on temps, lightly condition with lanolin/petroleum jelly mix, glove should be satin afterwards not shiny.

The above routine is a result of my highly scientific opinion loosely based on second hand facts from those that use "hence" regularly on the internets forum.

Last edited:

gsus03

Banned User
After league night and tourneys, while sitting down and watching tv, I take my glove and wipe it of with a microfiber cloth...seems to really help keep it clean for a lot longer and only takes a few minutes...hell I sit there and do it even when they aren't dirty usually right before x mas when the local leagues take a few weeks off, that's when I will send gamers to dirty for full make over (re lace, clean, condition)

ibjr25

Addicted to Softballfans
If its an outfield glove I never have to worry about it. It stays in my bag when not in use. But if it gets dirty from playing catch the ill wipe it lightly and get in between the lacing with a toothbrush.

fredderf

MiZUNo & HORWeeN LoVER
  • I use a microfiber cloth for drying cars, just leave it dry and wipe dust off the glove, works good and leaves a little shine after awhile.
  • Lexol sprayed on the same type cloth between seasons or whenever dirt sticks to it.
  • More intense cleaning at end of year, nothing directly on the glove (apply to cloth first), let dry 3-5 days depending on temps, lightly condition with lanolin/petroleum jelly mix, glove should be satin afterwards not shiny.

The above routine is a result of my highly scientific opinion loosely based on second hand facts from those that use "hence" regularly on the internets forum.

I use a microfiber towel too, just dry usually, sometimes a little orange lexol, but that's it. Conditioned once every February
F

Captain10

E skills playing D Ball
I gotta get on this cleaning and conditioning thing, specially since I have one worth taking care of now.

smarkley3

Certified Trap Hoe
I recomend brushing the dirt of with a soft brush, a paint brush will do for dry dust. Caked on mud can be left to dry , then remove with the softest you can, going up to a real soft tooth paste brush. Horse hair is better than nylon if you want to invest in a few....
Dryer climate require more frequent conditioning and colored gloves need a conditioner with more bees wax. Wish I could lace as well as I can condition :mad:

Rous

Addicted to Softballfans
It just looks like a pic of a Nokona AMG650 that someone has Photoshopped off all the markings. I am guessing Insignia, but even the leather looks like Nokona.

smarkley3

Certified Trap Hoe
Is that a completely generic Nokona? Or are there markings on the palm?

I think what you meant to say is "Steve owns a glove that isn't a trap?!"

It just looks like a pic of a Nokona AMG650 that someone has Photoshopped off all the markings. I am guessing Insignia, but even the leather looks like Nokona.

It has no markings on it at all Rous, but I have worked on the leather a bit.

Oh and I have many gloves that are not traps.

I'm lol'ing at "tooth paste brush." :D That Capire doesn't look half bad.

English is a second language bro, LOL. The Capire is Japanese Kip and is real sweet.

Rous

Addicted to Softballfans
I suddenly have the urge to get a custom Glovesmith with NO markings and then just tell anyone who asks that I made it myself.