Cleats or turfs?

A Cy 617

Dad, Fire fighter, bat flipper.
I play 3b and looking for new cleats. Do I get some molded cleats or do I get turfs? Also would love recommendations!

bbomber4

Addicted to Softballfans
Boombah trail shoes are great. They don't kill your feet and shins like cleats and don't wear out as fast as turfs.

WISEGUY18

Not Very Wise
You have been on SBF since 08 and you dont know.....your a$$ better call somebody....J/K. Turfs are more comfy without losing traction on the infield. I like the boombahs in the trail version but also have some 3n2's. Matter of preference on which brand you like as you are about to get many different answers.

Last edited:

Meskin24

those arent pecks
If you only play infield, you will be okay with turfs. If you ever have to hit the grass on a rainy or wet, day turfs or no good.
I will agree with the Boombah turfs. Also the Bass shoes that are similar to the Boombah trails are very good. To me the Bass shoes are actually more comfortable then the Boombah ones. So no one bashes me I am not a Bass rep and I do not own any Bass Bats. The shoes and batting gloves are very GTG though IMO

rlopezjr1977

King EUUUUPPPPP
Does anyone even wear cleats anymore? I play the OF and on rainy days and wet field I wear my Elite Turfs and on dry days I can go with either the Boombah or even Nike BP shoes and I am good to go.

BigShep

Who's Your Daddy!
I like Miz Blast2 turfs for everything except muddy infields. It seems like turfs pick up more mud than cleats.

I play 200 games/year, about 3/4 in the outfield and don't feel that turfs on wet grass cause me any more problems than molded cleats did.

norcal831

Star Player
I'm also in the market for turfs, looking at the Boombah Trails but it's hard for me to fathom not having cleats. I have a pair of Adidas replacement cleats and yeah my feet hurt more on tourney days but man I love the traction I get in the outfield when I replace the cleats.

Ozzy3313

Addicted to Softballfans
Turfs especially for an infielder. I carry both but use the cleats maybe once a year. I still prefer the boombah turfs over trails

WISEGUY18

Not Very Wise
Turfs especially for an infielder. I carry both but use the cleats maybe once a year. I still prefer the boombah turfs over trails

I agree, everyone needs that pair you go to when it rains 3 days prior to game day/night and the fields are a mess.

dynatone

Addicted to Softballfans
Turfs . . . . absolutely.

I changed last year and never looked back. I'm wearing Nike Speed Destroyer LaCrosse Turfs and they are great on dirt or grass . . . lots of wet in Oregon and never had a problem in the outfield.

GymRat

Starting Player
Turfs for tourneys, cleats for league... I'm complicated like that ;)
Truth be told I prefer cleats from a performance standpoint but after a long of day tournament ball they kill my feet.

msoares2123

Addicted to Softballfans
if you play only infield then go with turfs. if you play only outfield go with cleats. turfs are super comfortable, but you lose a lot of traction if the grass is wet or long.

JJK13

Addicted to Softballfans
Turfs. Never again cleats. I have Mizuno 9 spikes. Most days I even drive to the fields in them, don't have to worry about changing there like with cleats.