ASA Cleats & Sliding rule?

dementeddj

Manager
Simple questions: #1:Under ASA rules, is there a rule that in any potentially close play at home plate, the runner MUST slide?? I've never heard of any such rule in slow pitch softball. #2: are metal cleats allowed anywhere in ASA governed games?

Thanks!

irishmafia

Addicted to Softballfans
Simple questions: #1:Under ASA rules, is there a rule that in any potentially close play at home plate, the runner MUST slide?? I've never heard of any such rule in slow pitch softball. #2: are metal cleats allowed anywhere in ASA governed games?

Thanks!

You are right, the question is simple

There is no rule in ASA ever requiring a player to slide and metal is permitted in most ASA softball

NCASAUmp

Un-Retired
Metal cleats are allowed in all levels of play with the following exceptions:

12U fast pitch and below
All youth slow pitch
Coed slow pitch
Senior slow pitch

There is no "must slide" rule. Never has been. A runner can't intentionally initiate contact, but that doesn't mean they have to slide.

MaverickAH

Thanks!

In what context are you asking these questions?
Are you asking in the context of sanctioned ASA Championship Play or are you asking in the context of a league playing under ASA rules.

The answer may vary depending on which.

You have already been given the answer for sanctioned ASA Championship Play.

In respect to league play, I know of far more leagues that have some version of a "slide or give yourself up" rule & prohibit metal cleats than don't. They're probably the two most prevalent changes made by leagues to the ASA Official Rules. Leagues are well within their right to change any ASA rule they see fit to (see Rule 12) so if you're asking in the context of your particular league, you can't go back to them with the argument that the ASA rule book says something different if their "written" league rules say otherwise.

dementeddj

Manager
this was a benefit tourney that was all weekend, going by ASA rules. in our last game on sunday night, we had a close play where the second runner (batter) on base came in right behind the first runner, (who started out at 2nd). they called the 2nd runner out because he stated that there was a slide rule at home plate. ironically, it was the first time we (or anybody in attendance) had heard that mentioned all weekend, and earlier in the day, one of my players got hit by a thrown ball running in to home plate but was still called safe, and scored a run. I was only asking because it sounded odd to me and i didn't argue it due to the fact that it was a benefit tourney. The same umpire both mentioned games also, and he is a seasoned vet of 20+ years umpiring i was told.

thank you for your answers guys!

sjury

The Old Man
No one requires sliding around here, but they specifically say runners must avoid all contact, by either sliding, or giving themselves up on close plays. As far as cleats, only the private fields have no metal rules, the city and counties do not.

Those are league specific rules, and park specific rules, so you really need to ask the director about it.

Then they should not have been awarded the tournament if they could not accommodate ASA play.

Wonder what the players did that did not have other gear?

We all knew before the tourney and I dont recall it being an issue with any teams. You could and and a lot if players did where tennis shoes.

We are talking 100 percent turf. Batters boxs around the bases everything.
Great complex that has and will continue to have ASA National tournaments.
No seeds or chew either.

Irish you will be happy to know everbody did wear their hat correctly...although the cali teams had to be told numerous times....bill forward!

irishmafia

Addicted to Softballfans
We all knew before the tourney and I dont recall it being an issue with any teams. You could and and a lot if players did where tennis shoes.

We are talking 100 percent turf. Batters boxs around the bases everything.
Great complex that has and will continue to have ASA National tournaments.
No seeds or chew either.

Irish you will be happy to know everbody did wear their hat correctly...although the cali teams had to be told numerous times....bill forward!

Then again, we all know there isn't any real SP on the West Coast so I guess there is no reason to have a real field :)

Crabby Bob

Addicted to Softballfans
Then again, we all know there isn't any real SP on the West Coast so I guess there is no reason to have a real field :)

No real FP on the West Coast either. (These same fields were used for 14B Western Nationals. Another metal-cleat-eligible division :))

dementeddj

Manager
after reading my OP, I should have clarified my second question to say are they allowed in slow pitch games governed by ASA rules. Thank you for the answers guys. Much appreciated!