Any Co-Ed Ruling

DeputyUICHousto

Addicted to Softballfans
No outs, female runner at 3rd base, male runner at 2nd base. Base hit to the outfield. Both runners advancing. The male runner is quite a bit faster than the female. Just as she is about to touch the plate and with the throw coming in from the outfield, the male runner slides and touches the plate just prior to the female touching the plate. You can't call the male runner for passing the female runner as his entire body has not passed the preceding runner. What if any call do you make? Is this an appeal play?

EdFred

every day I'm shovelin'
Toss the male runner for being an idiot.

I think I still have an out since he reached the next base before the preceding runner. I would consider that passing the female runner.

DeputyUICHousto

Addicted to Softballfans
Ed, the passing the runner rule clearly states the succeeding runner must completely pass the preceding runner with their entire body. To use that rule would open you up for a protest.

Joker

well then if there is no rule against it, it's nothing. you answered your own question

DeputyUICHousto

Addicted to Softballfans
Joker, I'm not sure what the proper call would be. I'm pretty sure it can't be the passing a runner rule. I'm wondering if it can be someplace else.

Iceman6409

For the sake of discussion it appears the male runner beat the female runner to a base ahead of her. I actually do not know if there is a rule against that or not. One would think in order to "normally" do that a runner would have to completely pass the runner ahead in order to accomplish this. That did not happen in this case. Does the male runner in this case have the right come off home plate and retreat towards third allowing the female runner to score ahead of him? This is an interesting call indeed.

NCASAUmp

Un-Retired
There's no rule under which we can declare an out in this scenario. A runner isn't considered to have passed another runner unless their whole body has passed them, which isn't the case here.

The only rule that pertains to this play is that if the lead runner were to have missed the plate, she wouldn't be able to correct her mistake once a trailing runner has scored.

I've got two runs scored. There's nothing to appeal here.

MaverickAH

There's no rule under which we can declare an out in this scenario. A runner isn't considered to have passed another runner unless their whole body has passed them, which isn't the case here.

The only rule that pertains to this play is that if the lead runner were to have missed the plate, she wouldn't be able to correct her mistake once a trailing runner has scored.

I've got two runs scored. There's nothing to appeal here.

How about this.........

Since the trailing runner scored prior to the lead runner touching home plate, can the lead runner's touch of home plate still be considered legal?

MaverickAH

I asked a question. I did not say that it's in the book.

What is in the book is that only one runner has a right to a base. In this case it would definitely be the lead runner. I would not consider the trailing runner's touch of home plate as valid until the lead runner's touch or passing of the plate. Although the likelihood of it happening is small, IF the catcher managed to tag him out prior to the lead runner touching or passing home plate, I would call him OUT!

MaverickAH

Yes, but can a trailing runner score ahead of a lead runner who hasn't completed their base running responsibilities?

By, "base running responsibilities", I mean that they haven't reached home plate yet. That lead runner could be millimeters from home plate but still has the right to reverse their direction & head back to 3B. What then? Are you still going to say that the trailing runner legally completed their base running responsibilities?

Joker

just because the 2nd runner touched it first, doesn't mean the 1st runner cannot touch the plate. that's the point of possession

tonyjohnson619

Yes, but can a trailing runner score ahead of a lead runner who hasn't completed their base running responsibilities?

By, "base running responsibilities", I mean that they haven't reached home plate yet. That lead runner could be millimeters from home plate but still has the right to reverse their direction & head back to 3B. What then? Are you still going to say that the trailing runner legally completed their base running responsibilities?
all coed I play has a commitment line half way between 3b and home so no she couldn't go back

JabNblue

A
For the sake of discussion it appears the male runner beat the female runner to a base ahead of her. I actually do not know if there is a rule against that or not. One would think in order to "normally" do that a runner would have to completely pass the runner ahead in order to accomplish this. That did not happen in this case. Does the male runner in this case have the right come off home plate and retreat towards third allowing the female runner to score ahead of him? This is an interesting call indeed.
How did the male runner, being that close become able to touch the plate first and NOT come into contact with the female runner. Then you would have an assist. To be that close to each other I don't see how contact could have been avoided.

irishmafia

Addicted to Softballfans
A

How did the male runner, being that close become able to touch the plate first and NOT come into contact with the female runner. Then you would have an assist. To be that close to each other I don't see how contact could have been avoided.

There is no rule preventing one active runner from "assisting" another and contact does not equal an assist

NCASAUmp

Un-Retired
200_s.gif

Sully

Wanna buy jerseys/rings?
Prepare for the argument where you didn't read ALL of his post and the sun was in his eyes. Rule 8, Section 7 The Runner is Out, Paragraph E says,"When any offensive team member, OTHER THAN ANOTHER RUNNER, physically assists a runner while the ball is live."

Jab, spend $15 on the USA Softball 2017 Official Rules of Softball. It is well worth having the Rule book on your phone and it even has a search function.

DeputyUICHousto

Addicted to Softballfans
I wonder if JabNBlue is simply spoofing us. Acting ignorant on purpose when he/she really isn't. I don't think I was that bad my rookie year.