Coaching

tjacks

Manager
How in the world do people coach tournament teams? I'm on my second league season which is only 8 games each season and its like running a daycare. My 3 and 4 year old don't whine as much as these grown men. I cut 5 people from last season because they never called or texted anyone that they would be missing the last game and when I sent out a new season starting reminder no answer. So I built a new team. haha.

Does anyone have any tips on coaching? I have also been asked to start a tournament team but they want sponsors. No one I know wants to coach so we can play so I stepped up.

tjacks

Manager
Oh I know that but most of the guys were guys I played with for the past two years when my brother was coaching.

rhound50

Rec Coed Superstar
Why would you wanna coach? A tourney team sure I can see it a little, get to travel and most coaches play as well but just coaching a league team and not playing I'd rather spend and hour having a fat woman kicking me in the balls.

tjacks

Manager
I coach and play. I guess when I say coach I guess I mean taking up the money, assigning positions, making sure we have enough and write the lineup. haha. I play all positions so I fill in where needed.

mtiefenb

Manager
Running a team sucks there always seems to be 3 or 4 guys that act like women who can't play that night cause its too hot, cold, or they're to tired and you're lucky if they give you any notice. The worst is collecting money. I won't manage another team but I do think everyone should so they can experience the BS involved with unreliable people. Its so nice now just paying my money and show up every night

Wolfynuts24

Jagoff
I ran a sunday team for a couple years. It was awful. Im actually a really good outfielder and i always got stuck playin catcher because everyone would cry about havin to play catcher. I didnt mind havin to sacrifice things for the team cause i played for two other league teams and a tourny teams but it got pretty old after while. People where always broke and could never chip in for umpire fees or they would say they would be there the night before and not show up. **** that mess. Leave runnin teams to the old guys that pitch and catch.

Flyman

GEAUX TIGERS!!
Why would you wanna coach? A tourney team sure I can see it a little, get to travel and most coaches play as well but just coaching a league team and not playing I'd rather spend and hour having a fat woman kicking me in the balls.
Who runs a league team without playing? Every guy I've ever seen run a league team has played as well as managed the team.

Running a team sucks there always seems to be 3 or 4 guys that act like women who can't play that night cause its too hot, cold, or they're to tired and you're lucky if they give you any notice. The worst is collecting money. I won't manage another team but I do think everyone should so they can experience the BS involved with unreliable people. Its so nice now just paying my money and show up every night
I am very, very fortunate with the league team I run. Not one whiner and a bunch of guys who will play wherever I ask and hit wherever I ask. All team-first guys.

I ran a sunday team for a couple years. It was awful. Im actually a really good outfielder and i always got stuck playin catcher because everyone would cry about havin to play catcher. I didnt mind havin to sacrifice things for the team cause i played for two other league teams and a tourny teams but it got pretty old after while. People where always broke and could never chip in for umpire fees or they would say they would be there the night before and not show up. **** that mess. Leave runnin teams to the old guys that pitch and catch.
I end up sacrificing my playing time for the team, but it's not like I'm great, so I don't sweat it. I still get to play a lot. My guys actually scold me if I don't play myself enough or if I bat myself too low in the order.

Wolfynuts24

Jagoff
I end up sacrificing my playing time for the team, but it's not like I'm great, so I don't sweat it. I still get to play a lot. My guys actually scold me if I don't play myself enough or if I bat myself too low in the order.

Your lucky to have players like that. Sounds like a good group

Hack5102

The Veteran
I've coached for twelve years and for the most part my guys are great. We are always in the tip two or three in league. I've always given a guy two years and if he doesn't cut it then he gone. Most of the players on the team are very flexible and don't ever complain.

bluejay1

The Great Wantabe
set the standard first thing and keep preaching it. Give walking papers to the problems. the team will get a clue quick. a couple of years later, you will have good people asking you to play for you. be stern at first and dont be afraid to let them know where you stand. I keep preaching "no drama team"

Sully

Wanna buy jerseys/rings?
Who runs a league team without playing? Every guy I've ever seen run a league team has played as well as managed the team.

I am very, very fortunate with the league team I run. Not one whiner and a bunch of guys who will play wherever I ask and hit wherever I ask. All team-first guys.

You'd better put them boys on lockdown. A team without prima donnas or whiners? That sounds like fun.

tjacks

Manager

Your a lucky man. Im just trying to play ball not baby sit.

adkins1203

Addicted to Softballfans
You dont coach, you manage;)

This. I started "coaching" last season, and when you don't have a sponsor it is just trying to squeeze money out of your guys and then making a line up. Had multiple guys just not come back for day two of worlds and ended up getting sixth place because of it. I'm 21 and coach this team, but feel like all the 30ish year olds are children and want everything given to them. The best coaching tip is to find an elder who will coach/manage/fundraise for the love of the game. Lol

mobrienjr

Banned User
managing can suck ass. I hate it when you have a few sub-par players, since you needed people to fill in spots for league night. Then they pull you aside after the game, and say...hey, I prefer to play RCF, can you make that happen. When you place them there, and they cant catch a cold, let alone a routine fly ball. Then people bitching about playing catcher. Someone has to play catcher. Suck it up, and play it. I personally end up riding the bench most of the game since nobody else wants to. On the plus side, about 7 of my solid players do not care where they play. They just want to get their at bats.

b8griffi

Addicted to Softballfans

I manage my league and tourney team. last year we started using paypal to collect money. sent out invoices to everyone. set a due date that if you didnt pay or at least come to an agreement on when you will be paying you are done and I will replace you. we are all grown men. If you cannot afford to pay like everyone else then you cannot play.

whogotz

dilligaf?
running a team sucks ass. but is cool as hell now that i have a core of guys that not only play good ball, but we genuinely enjoy each others company win or lose. the ball busting we do to each other is something i look forward to every saturday.

Hebrew Hacker

Derby Jew
set the standard first thing and keep preaching it. Give walking papers to the problems. the team will get a clue quick. a couple of years later, you will have good people asking you to play for you. be stern at first and dont be afraid to let them know where you stand. I keep preaching "no drama team"
Absolutely. The times when I've run tourney teams I make it clear that if someone feels the need to complain about playing time, where they're batting, or what position they're playing, then I feel the need to have them make sure the bench stays warm. It's a fine line between making sure you get people into the game and and trying your damndest to win, and if my players don't appreciate that I'm doing my best to walk that line, they're free to leave.

I manage my league and tourney team. last year we started using paypal to collect money. sent out invoices to everyone. set a due date that if you didnt pay or at least come to an agreement on when you will be paying you are done and I will replace you. we are all grown men. If you cannot afford to pay like everyone else then you cannot play.
Yep.

jbo911

Super Moderator
Staff member
I coach my work team and I'm 100% apathetic and so far it's working like a charm. I batted 16 the other night, next game, only 12 showed up. We're 4-2 so it's not all bad.