Combat lifespan??

Fairly general question here. Purchased an ASA Portent (red one) early January and it broke last night - that's mid Jan. to mid Apr. for its lifespan. So Cal weather. Probably had the classic Combat zipper about 100 swings in. Would say around 4-500 swings. Only used in ASA league with mushy Zulu .44/300s. Thoughts??

Sully

Wanna buy jerseys/rings?
I just got a crack in a G3 Wanted I won in January. I've put a few hundred hits on it, but I think it's done. It sucks. It's dual stamp and I really liked the feel of that bat. I swung it in ASA and USSSA.

oilslick58

Addicted to Softballfans
Portent I had the pleasure of using had at least 400 with all types of balls. Bat is still rolling right along. I will say this..... My asa Dirty lasted about 100 swings at the most. All my others have carried on well above 500 swings. I limit the bp after a couple hundred swings.
Sorry to hear about the bat. Good news though, you can get another new one on the CHEAP!!!

BOOMHAUER

COMbatants#87
I don't BP any of the newer (2013-2015) models more than 50 swings before game time only. My ASA portent has 400-500 on it now. but still holding up well.

vipvanilla

Addicted to Softballfans
My red Portent had about 1000 on it. Those were almost exclusively 52/300 though. The bat "died" the last week when we were hitting 44/400 in an "any bat" tournament. Busted the disc inside into a couple pieces.

Los

DUDLEYARAMIS
For those guys who struggle with math and don'tg do BP with their bats and claim they didn't last them long I want you to do a simple math. 1 game 4 at bats. Let's say your team is the best e team in the world and you play 6 games every time, 4 times 6 is 24 at bats. 24 at bats per weekend. You play 6 months straight (unlikely but ok) 4 times 24 is 96 at bats per month. 96 at bats time 6 months (yeah right) is 576 swings. You want your bat to last, don't use it to hit cage bombs or show off how far you can hit a 44/375 ball in Cool weather. The reality is the bats are meant to hit regulation game balls in regular temp. Take care of your bat and get a dog to hit BP with. Don't leave your bat in your trunk where extreme heat will breakdown composite fibers. Treat it like you want to keep it forever. Now the monsters that crush, it's your gift that also serves as your flaw. Borrow that monkeys bat that likes to hit cage bombs and save yours for games might give you a little more life..... not attacking anyone who posted here. I'm just excercising freedom of speech and giving my .02

single wally

Professional Amateur
My thoughts are no surprise at all, Combats are generally fragile, but as slick mentioned they are also cheap and as long as you have a receipt it's GTG since you'll be getting two bats with that purchase anyway. Combat also has good CS.

brhnz

Bombs .. Bombs Everywhere !
To put a little perspective on the new bats vs the old ones: As a dealer all my bats where I live are for ISF Mens fastpitch. So we talking giant men swinging at 70mph pitching using a leather M150 .47/375 ball. The old combats like DBSP5, PORSP1 & AVARSP1 did not hold up to the beatings we handed them at the higher levels. But that was a while ago. Now days the DBGSP3, ASSSP4 ( both TW17 frames I believe ) & PG3SP4 are lasting really well. Sure there been a couple fail but it is at a below average rate now. Some people will always say " I had a DBSP5 and it broke so ill never buy another Combat Derby Boy as they are all fragile" Im not a Combat engineer but im pretty sure apart from maybe the end cap the new Greinert Derby Boy is a totally different bat.

Customer service is fantastic, Reps are accessible and helpful. If I was to be a new customer who moved to Combat in 2015 I would wonder what all this Durability / Lifespan talk was all about.

Just my 2c, I can only speak from personal experience as a dealer in a country who plays only Mens Fast-pitch. It may be a different in SP I dunno.

Sully

Wanna buy jerseys/rings?
If you live where it's pretty warm most of the year like I do in SoCal, I don't think I should have to limit a bat to game swings only, and if I do it lasts about 400-500 swings.

I LOVED the way that G3 swung, I just think $220 is a lot of money for 1000 swings compared to some of the other manufacturers. I've got a Future that has a lot more swings than the G3 that is still going strong. No hint of giving up the ghost. I have a SRV4 that is a few years old I've hit in 60 degree weather, with every kind of ball imaginable, still going.

I really like Combat and loved the OG Antivirus. That bat lasted me a while with all kinds of balls. I just don't see buying a bat that barely lasts 3 months. It doesn't make sense when the competition makes bats that last through the whole warranty.

Fuzz

Extra Hitter
Asa im not sure but the utrips have held up to some absolute beatings. I'm getting around 800-1000 est swings. I figured I would get around 500 out of my avarice g2's because they broke in ridiculously fast. Ended up in the range I listed above. Same with the dirty and the derby boys cg feel on par. Im not a small guy and ive beat them with 44/400s bp, team use, etc. Resale absolutely blows but durability has exceeded my original expectations.

I originally tried them because I kept breaking 454s, mv1's, and pyscho's half a season or around 600 counting the break in swings. 400-500 swings is no good with any manufacturer in my book.

For those guys who struggle with math and don'tg do BP with their bats and claim they didn't last them long I want you to do a simple math. 1 game 4 at bats. Let's say your team is the best e team in the world and you play 6 games every time, 4 times 6 is 24 at bats. 24 at bats per weekend. You play 6 months straight (unlikely but ok) 4 times 24 is 96 at bats per month. 96 at bats time 6 months (yeah right) is 576 swings. You want your bat to last, don't use it to hit cage bombs or show off how far you can hit a 44/375 ball in Cool weather. The reality is the bats are meant to hit regulation game balls in regular temp. Take care of your bat and get a dog to hit BP with. Don't leave your bat in your trunk where extreme heat will breakdown composite fibers. Treat it like you want to keep it forever. Now the monsters that crush, it's your gift that also serves as your flaw. Borrow that monkeys bat that likes to hit cage bombs and save yours for games might give you a little more life..... not attacking anyone who posted here. I'm just excercising freedom of speech and giving my .02

No, no complaints here Los :) This was my first Combat so I was just looking for some input. I'm getting the new Portent as a return so now I know I need to baby it. I'm experiencing the same thing with my new DC & Freak Black. Very hot but very fragile..... They stay in the bag.