Price Check Combatants say your random whatnots.... part 6

NDshotokan

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
Where were you at this weekend? Every team needs a cheerleader:eek:

Haha, I was there off and on. Watched my boys win a couple games. Had the family with me Saturday and the kids are hard to keep still, then went to the Fargo Fair on Sunday so only got to watch the first game in the AM. It's hard sitting on the sidelines. :( My appt is at 1, so hopefully I can play league tonight. I'll EH and get a pinch runner. I just want to play. :D

ehudmh

Left-Handed Assassin
I'm not even going to try to multiquote the month's worth of stuff I want to comment on :)

I thought stretching was overrated, too, until my hip really went downhill. If I don't stretch now, someone will carry me off the field and straight to the hospital (looking at you, ESI...)

Cory, you may want to look at the newest DL roller, too. If you rotate handles, you can get 6 easily into the main compartment, and room on the side compartments for 2-4 more (haven't tried 2 in each compartment, but I'm pretty sure there is room). It's not a huge bag, but seems huge once you realize how much stuff is in it. Perfect roller for a league coach, IMO...and with DLAS, you won't get a better bag for the price, IMO.

Just a quick update on me, since you guys are little sweethearts checking in (except I know Jesse has ulterior motives...with an ass like mine, I can't blame him.) I start a new job, finally, next Monday. I'm so excited to get out of the whole house husband routine...I've done a lot of work on my parents house to keep busy, but I'm not made for not working. It's driven me crazy. We kept my son in daycare, despite the extra money we did not have, because we knew this would be temporary and did not want to destroy his schedule. If he'd stayed home with me, it sure would have made things more bearable...:)

I've even thrown my doctors advice on my hip out the Window, and played a little ball. I've been worse than horrible at the plate, and run like Andre the Giant in the field, but it's sure felt good to get out with the guys (they may disagree, since they have to carry my poor performance...) I figure, if they are going to have to operate anyway, as long as I don't dive or slide or otherwise do something to knock my hip out again, I should be okay, right? :D

I do want to thank you all for checking in on me. Things have really been low for awhile, but it's a huge boost, seriously, to know you folks care about some nub on a softball message board. I hope it's never necessary, but I look forward to repaying the kindness to each of you. Even if Combat made awful products, I'd be loyal to the brand because of the Combatants.

Hebrew Hacker

Derby Jew
I'm not even going to try to multiquote the month's worth of stuff I want to comment on :)

I thought stretching was overrated, too, until my hip really went downhill. If I don't stretch now, someone will carry me off the field and straight to the hospital (looking at you, ESI...)

Cory, you may want to look at the newest DL roller, too. If you rotate handles, you can get 6 easily into the main compartment, and room on the side compartments for 2-4 more (haven't tried 2 in each compartment, but I'm pretty sure there is room). It's not a huge bag, but seems huge once you realize how much stuff is in it. Perfect roller for a league coach, IMO...and with DLAS, you won't get a better bag for the price, IMO.

Just a quick update on me, since you guys are little sweethearts checking in (except I know Jesse has ulterior motives...with an ass like mine, I can't blame him.) I start a new job, finally, next Monday. I'm so excited to get out of the whole house husband routine...I've done a lot of work on my parents house to keep busy, but I'm not made for not working. It's driven me crazy. We kept my son in daycare, despite the extra money we did not have, because we knew this would be temporary and did not want to destroy his schedule. If he'd stayed home with me, it sure would have made things more bearable...:)

I've even thrown my doctors advice on my hip out the Window, and played a little ball. I've been worse than horrible at the plate, and run like Andre the Giant in the field, but it's sure felt good to get out with the guys (they may disagree, since they have to carry my poor performance...) I figure, if they are going to have to operate anyway, as long as I don't dive or slide or otherwise do something to knock my hip out again, I should be okay, right? :D

I do want to thank you all for checking in on me. Things have really been low for awhile, but it's a huge boost, seriously, to know you folks care about some nub on a softball message board. I hope it's never necessary, but I look forward to repaying the kindness to each of you. Even if Combat made awful products, I'd be loyal to the brand because of the Combatants.

Great to hear that things are on the upswing! I know you were talking about selling your gear a little while back...if you did, and you need a bat or something in the meantime, let me know.

Flyman

GEAUX TIGERS!!

Good to hear that things are looking up for you, Matt, and we appreciate the update and see you around here again :). Very happy to hear about the new job...that's awesome news. I tried texting you a couple of days ago...I think I had the right cell number, LOL.

As for the DL bag, I was kinda waiting to see if anyone would mention it. I guess I'm a little skeptical about another Combat bag...my CC fell apart before getting this last one. Now it's got this huge rip before I even got two seasons out of it. I may look into it, especially if the price is right.

One last thing...go accept that trade I offered you! :D:D

ehudmh

Left-Handed Assassin
Great to hear that things are on the upswing! I know you were talking about selling your gear a little while back...if you did, and you need a bat or something in the meantime, let me know.

Great to hear bud! And I'll echo what Heebs said, if you need anything don't hesitate to ask!

I appreciate it, guys! I still have all of my unsellable DLAS gear, so I am all set. ESI talked me out of selling my Vinci, but feel free to send me any stuff you'd like to. :D

Flyman

GEAUX TIGERS!!
I appreciate it, guys! I still have all of my unsellable DLAS gear, so I am all set. ESI talked me out of selling my Vinci, but feel free to send me any stuff you'd like to. :D

Just send the Vinci to me...I'll put it to use. I only play catcher these days thanks to my pulled groin, but at least it would be used :D.

Flyman

GEAUX TIGERS!!
Gotta lineup question for you guys.

You all know that I'm gimped up with a pulled groin, but I can still play catcher and hit...running is the issue, LOL. This week our team is missing two guys (roster of 13, one of whom hasn't played a game this year), so we'll have 10. My top three hitters all have good wheels and obviously I do not, so if I ever get on base, I am definitely getting a runner.

Would it be smart to hit myself 4th? I am not a cleanup type hitter, but really the only guy on our roster with legit power is my 3-hole hitter (23yr old who would be a MONSTER if he ever learned proper mechanics and used his lower body...strong with STUPID speed...gave himself the nickname "Token" until two years ago because until two years ago he was the only black guy on our team, LOL). So would it be wise to hit myself 4th so that if I get on and any of these three get out, they can be the ones to come in and run for me? Our courtesy runners have to be the last batted out. Also, the guy I would put at 10th in the lineup has pretty decent wheels, too. I haven't been a scrub with the bat this year...hitting .634 in this league, which is AMAZING for me. So it sounds like the right move, but is it (I usually bat 7th-8th)?

NDshotokan

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
Also, just got an RA for my broken Spiked. Was going through receipts and realized it expires on Wednesday! :eek: I was waiting until all the stuff blew over before I sent it in and it almost cost me.

Hebrew Hacker

Derby Jew
Gotta lineup question for you guys.

You all know that I'm gimped up with a pulled groin, but I can still play catcher and hit...running is the issue, LOL. This week our team is missing two guys (roster of 13, one of whom hasn't played a game this year), so we'll have 10. My top three hitters all have good wheels and obviously I do not, so if I ever get on base, I am definitely getting a runner.

Would it be smart to hit myself 4th? I am not a cleanup type hitter, but really the only guy on our roster with legit power is my 3-hole hitter (23yr old who would be a MONSTER if he ever learned proper mechanics and used his lower body...strong with STUPID speed...gave himself the nickname "Token" until two years ago because until two years ago he was the only black guy on our team, LOL). So would it be wise to hit myself 4th so that if I get on and any of these three get out, they can be the ones to come in and run for me? Our courtesy runners have to be the last batted out. Also, the guy I would put at 10th in the lineup has pretty decent wheels, too. I haven't been a scrub with the bat this year...hitting .634 in this league, which is AMAZING for me. So it sounds like the right move, but is it (I usually bat 7th-8th)?

It's not a bad idea, but if someone's on 1B, you REALLY need to make sure you get the ball out of the IF...you're going to be an easy DP otherwise.

As far as playing C, own it. Cheat behind runners that take a big turn at 1B and don't hustle back to the bag. Don't be afraid to talk nonstop to your pitcher, especially if the other team starts complaining. You're not going to be able to bust down the line and back up throws coming into 1B, but back up all throws coming in from the OF, and if there's a runner on 3B and you need to back up a throw, make sure your pitcher is coming in to cover. Be as vocal as you can, as far as when someone should fire home, hold, let a throw through, etc. Also, know where to set up when there's going to be a play at the plate...I see way too many guys playing C who set up on/behind the plate, instead of in front, just inside the baseline (let the throw carry your glove through the tag).
If you really want to have fun, go to work on the batters. I'll make comments about how the OF needs to play back because a guy has a tattoo, no sleeves...anything I can. I'll also sometimes motion for my LF or RF to come in shallow before the pitch and will make a comment to the batter along the lines of "why the hell is LF/RF playing so shallow...you're going to beat him easy", while the LF/RF breaks back on the pitch and gets to proper depth.

Yeah, I'm a ****.

NDshotokan

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
It's not a bad idea, but if someone's on 1B, you REALLY need to make sure you get the ball out of the IF...you're going to be an easy DP otherwise.

As far as playing C, own it. Cheat behind runners that take a big turn at 1B and don't hustle back to the bag. Don't be afraid to talk nonstop to your pitcher, especially if the other team starts complaining. You're not going to be able to bust down the line and back up throws coming into 1B, but back up all throws coming in from the OF, and if there's a runner on 3B and you need to back up a throw, make sure your pitcher is coming in to cover. Be as vocal as you can, as far as when someone should fire home, hold, let a throw through, etc. Also, know where to set up when there's going to be a play at the plate...I see way too many guys playing C who set up on/behind the plate, instead of in front, just inside the baseline (let the throw carry your glove through the tag).
If you really want to have fun, go to work on the batters. I'll make comments about how the OF needs to play back because a guy has a tattoo, no sleeves...anything I can. I'll also sometimes motion for my LF or RF to come in shallow before the pitch and will make a comment to the batter along the lines of "why the hell is LF/RF playing so shallow...you're going to beat him easy", while the LF/RF breaks back on the pitch and gets to proper depth.

Yeah, I'm a ****.

Now THIS!!! is how you play catcher. Hell yeah.

whogotz

dilligaf?
been stated before but has to be - HH and I are way too similar while being so damn different. I've got nothing to add - damn near word for word what I would say about playing catcher. i love it, especially when some doofus thinks I am not ready for him to "accidentally" try and truck me at home and he ends up on his back.

I've laid plenty of hard two handed tags on guys that forget that they are not pete rose and i am not buster posey (lmao i first typed buster olney)

Hebrew Hacker

Derby Jew
been stated before but has to be - HH and I are way too similar while being so damn different. I've got nothing to add - damn near word for word what I would say about playing catcher. i love it, especially when some doofus thinks I am not ready for him to "accidentally" try and truck me at home and he ends up on his back.

I've laid plenty of hard two handed tags on guys that forget that they are not pete rose and i am not buster posey (lmao i first typed buster olney)

I've had a few guys try to run me over...I don't mind. I don't brace myself for the impact, so I'm just going to bounce off (one guy I just stuck to and he carried me to the backstop). Besides, they have to get down pretty low to do it, and they're more likely than not going to get tagged in the face.

What I won't do is protect the runner if the throw is late and he's trying to truck me. If I see him coming in high and hard and I know that the throw won't beat him, I'm getting out of the way and letting his teammates explain to him why he's got a headache.

One other thing Cory- don't squat behind the plate, set up like an IF, and go down to block the ball on low pitches. And don't let the ump get hit.

Another other thing- get a feel for the umpire, like when you block their view on a borderline "deep" pitch if they call it a ball or a strike. It can help you steal a strike here and there, or let you know how to position yourself so the ump has a clearer view. Umpires who tell me where to set up are a pet peeve...I'm going to set up where I want to...it's your job to then get into position.

And one more thing- assume every ball is getting fouled back at you. It'll help you react a little more quickly when it does happen.

And one last thing- when the ball's coming in and you think it's going to be a ball, but close, say something like "nice pitch". You can steal a call with that sometimes, but don't do it too often or the ump might catch on.

scottdburnett

Addicted to Softballfans
scottdburnett said:
Alright Combatants, I'm new to Combat and I am looking for guidance. (I play ASA only, use 44/375s until next spring then exclusively 52/300s)

I've got a 27 oz Wanted ASA that has a disc rattle, weighs 27.5 on a scale and I love the feel of it.
I've got a DBA 27 oz on the way to try out.

What else in the Combat family should I consider trying if I like the feel of the 27oz Wanted?
Welcome to Combat! Lots to consider as far as other bats to try, but you've got two great ones there. Where are you located?

I've played very little ASA this year, but I could see myself going to an AV or VFP if I started struggling with the Wanted. VFP could be great for your team...HUGE barrel (14") on the 26oz, nice feel when it breaks in.

Thanks, I picked up an OG Gear Supremacy from JacobRyan23 and even though it's USSSA and I play ASA, I'm gonna have a lot of fun with it.
I got the DBA from scabnews and I'm not impressed. Off the tee it is out-hit by the OGGS and the Wanted.
And I'm in Boise...Thanks for the advice

Flyman

GEAUX TIGERS!!

Yeah, I'm a ****.

I've had a few guys try to run me over...I don't mind. I don't brace myself for the impact, so I'm just going to bounce off (one guy I just stuck to and he carried me to the backstop). Besides, they have to get down pretty low to do it, and they're more likely than not going to get tagged in the face.

What I won't do is protect the runner if the throw is late and he's trying to truck me. If I see him coming in high and hard and I know that the throw won't beat him, I'm getting out of the way and letting his teammates explain to him why he's got a headache.

One other thing Cory- don't squat behind the plate, set up like an IF, and go down to block the ball on low pitches. And don't let the ump get hit.

Another other thing- get a feel for the umpire, like when you block their view on a borderline "deep" pitch if they call it a ball or a strike. It can help you steal a strike here and there, or let you know how to position yourself so the ump has a clearer view. Umpires who tell me where to set up are a pet peeve...I'm going to set up where I want to...it's your job to then get into position.

And one more thing- assume every ball is getting fouled back at you. It'll help you react a little more quickly when it does happen.

And one last thing- when the ball's coming in and you think it's going to be a ball, but close, say something like "nice pitch". You can steal a call with that sometimes, but don't do it too often or the ump might catch on.
Tons of great info in there...hard to respond to, LOL. Let's see, I'll respond on bullet points :D. I've played C a few games this year...
- Haven't thought about trying to cheat behind the runner at first. Haven't really noticed if anyone takes a big turn.
- Haven't been talking much to my pitcher. What kinds of things should I be talking to him about, lol?
- Haven't talked to the OF or IF much regarding throws, relays, etc. It's odd because I was always very vocal as a 1B with this.
- Your chatter with batters made me laugh out loud. I watched the USA-Canada and USA-Futures games, and I noticed that the catchers were directing traffic in the OF. I think I may try this and see if my OFs will go with it.
- In my ASA league, we play with mats. HATE mats. Stealing calls by setting up to block their view probably won't work...at least not in this league, lol.
- Great point about expecting every ball to be fouled back. In my ASA and NSA leagues, any caught foul tip is an out this year. Probably like setting up in the field...you always expect the ball to come your way.

* I've been pretty good about backing up throws from the OF. Save a couple so far from going out of play. Have not made sure, however, that my pitcher was covering home.
* I don't know if it's instinct or what, but I've been setting up in front of the plate on throws that come in. And it's funny that you say to let the throw take my glove to the tag because that's exactly how it feels. So far, I'm 4-for-4 on plays at the plate ;). Two of them I had to use my 1B skills and pick the throws out of the dirt and put the tag down.
* I do stand behind the plate rather than squat. It's definitely much more comfortable, and it actually feels easier to catch the pitches. And umps love me :), because I keep the ball of their shins.

Great stuff. Thanks, Gary :). The groin is frustrating because I was faster this year than I've been in several years...I had 4 ITP HRs and 5 triples in 17 games (2 leagues). Both are good totals for me. I was even playing LF in one league and doing great and loving it. All that said, I have decided that I do like playing catcher :D;).

ESI

Coach

I would carry you to the hospital too. Lol.

Cory, I got Matt's DL roller. I can get 7 bats in the main compartment, flip flopping ends. Plenty big enough to carry everything for 2 teams. I really like it

ESI

Coach

This right here, the man has spoken. Lol. Ask Ehudmh, I do this catching. It works

JJF13

Addicted to Softballfans
As for the DL bag, I was kinda waiting to see if anyone would mention it. I guess I'm a little skeptical about another Combat bag...my CC fell apart before getting this last one. Now it's got this huge rip before I even got two seasons out of it. I may look into it, especially if the price is right.

If the CC was too small the DL roller will definitely be too small. The opening for the bat compartment is smaller and was definitely a pain in the butt to get 4 bats barrel down in it. I was able to get 5 comfortable rotating handle/barrel. I could never get the 6th one in there. The only other thing I didn't like was the metal hooks in the bat compartment. It put big deep scratches on my bats sliding them in and out. Also the bats that were near the wheels ended up taking paint off the bat near the endcap almost looking like someone burnt the bat a little bit. I sold mine a couple weeks after I got it. Now I don't have as many bats and got rid of my extra glove so now it would be about right. Maybe some athletic tape on the fence hooks and it would be good.

CC roller is just hands down better as far as Combat bags go. If you need a big bag. The fat boyz roller from ECA is absolutely huge.

Cory, I got Matt's DL roller. I can get 7 bats in the main compartment, flip flopping ends. Plenty big enough to carry everything for 2 teams. I really like it

I just can't see how you got 7 in there honestly. Even rotating between handle and barrel.

Hebrew Hacker

Derby Jew
Thanks, I picked up an OG Gear Supremacy from JacobRyan23 and even though it's USSSA and I play ASA, I'm gonna have a lot of fun with it.
I got the DBA from scabnews and I'm not impressed. Off the tee it is out-hit by the OGGS and the Wanted.
And I'm in Boise...Thanks for the advice
OGGS is my favorite bat of all time. Definitely not durable (I've broken a couple, and that says a lot), but my first one is still the bat I miss most of anything I've swung. That said, the DBA might need some more swings if the OGGS is outhitting it, or you might be missing the sweetspot.

I can check if there are other Combatants in Idaho that might have some older Combats you can try out, but I don't know offhand if anyone is up there.

Tons of great info in there...hard to respond to, LOL. Let's see, I'll respond on bullet points :D. I've played C a few games this year...
- Haven't thought about trying to cheat behind the runner at first. Haven't really noticed if anyone takes a big turn.
- Haven't been talking much to my pitcher. What kinds of things should I be talking to him about, lol?
- Haven't talked to the OF or IF much regarding throws, relays, etc. It's odd because I was always very vocal as a 1B with this.
- Your chatter with batters made me laugh out loud. I watched the USA-Canada and USA-Futures games, and I noticed that the catchers were directing traffic in the OF. I think I may try this and see if my OFs will go with it.
- In my ASA league, we play with mats. HATE mats. Stealing calls by setting up to block their view probably won't work...at least not in this league, lol.
- Great point about expecting every ball to be fouled back. In my ASA and NSA leagues, any caught foul tip is an out this year. Probably like setting up in the field...you always expect the ball to come your way.

* I've been pretty good about backing up throws from the OF. Save a couple so far from going out of play. Have not made sure, however, that my pitcher was covering home.
* I don't know if it's instinct or what, but I've been setting up in front of the plate on throws that come in. And it's funny that you say to let the throw take my glove to the tag because that's exactly how it feels. So far, I'm 4-for-4 on plays at the plate ;). Two of them I had to use my 1B skills and pick the throws out of the dirt and put the tag down.
* I do stand behind the plate rather than squat. It's definitely much more comfortable, and it actually feels easier to catch the pitches. And umps love me :), because I keep the ball of their shins.

Great stuff. Thanks, Gary :). The groin is frustrating because I was faster this year than I've been in several years...I had 4 ITP HRs and 5 triples in 17 games (2 leagues). Both are good totals for me. I was even playing LF in one league and doing great and loving it. All that said, I have decided that I do like playing catcher :D;).
-Cheating behind the runner is useful on balls to the OF when there's no runners on, or if the runners from 3B/2B have scored (or will score easily).
-I'll talk to my pitchers about anything, but it's usually more talking at them than talking with them. I don't want them listening to anything I say before/during the pitch. I'll often verbally call for a pitch (which they know to ignore) high and inside, low and outside, whatever, and set up in a different spot. Another good one is if you see a batter squeezing the grip (easier to spot if he's not wearing batting gloves, and you can see him white-knuckling) when he comes to the plate in a big spot...I'll say something like "throw him a cookie, let's see how far he can hit it", and will have the pitcher lay one right in there.
-Directing your IF and OF is crucial, especially if you're calling for pitches inside/outside. If you see someone is standing off the plate, shift your fielders accordingly and have your pitcher put something outside. If you can take away 1/3 of the field like that, you're doing a great job.

I would carry you to the hospital too. Lol.
I love Combatants.

whogotz

dilligaf?
when catching - i back up infield plays at first because i have a couple of guys that tend to throw wild, and a first baseman that does not go down to dig them out, which results in an extra base when throw gets loose. besides - it helps me stay active

The BP Hero

Addicted to Softballfans
Also, just got an RA for my broken Spiked. Was going through receipts and realized it expires on Wednesday! :eek: I was waiting until all the stuff blew over before I sent it in and it almost cost me.
Did this a while back. Receipt expired the next day!

<3 you baby squirrel.

saint

Voted '15 Mod of the Year
g46BGWN.jpg

6lbs 10oz :)