Compression sleeve's do they actually work??

jem74

Addicted to Softballfans
My right throwing shoulder is torn up, and was wondering if these provide any help other than making a fashion statement

joee5

Addicted to Softballfans
my oldest daughter wears them on her knees when she plays basketball and she swears they do the job necessary

VandyMan21

Addicted to Softballfans
I ruptured/tore, whatever they call it, my tricep tendon on my throwing elbow a couple years back, gets really throbbing sore if i throw hard without warming up, especially earlier in the season and when its still cold out. bought a Nike and Under Armour compression sleeve, now i make sure i warm up adequetly before all games, but the sleeves sure seems to help. in my opinion it just helps keep the area warm and lose so it does not tighten up and become sore again. i still use mine even if people say they look guy, i believe they actually do serve a purpose.

hatesnail

Part Time Player
They will not help. Like stated they are intended to compress and retain heat in the elbow area. If your shoulder is tore up you need to seek help from your doctor or a certified physical therapist. Too many guys try to remedy their own injuries only to make them worse. At the end of the day we need to be able to differentiate between playing through nicks and serious injuries. Imo a shoulder that you describe as tore up could indicate anything from a rotator cuff injury to a torn labrum.

Trey32

Manager
i have a shoulder problem just like you and just started wearing a sleeve again and seems to have helped tremendously. i havent felt any pain in my arm since i started wearing one again. my sleeve goes from top of my shoulder to almost my wrist. I think it has a different affect on everyone its worth a try

Fro Joe

Snowden is a hero.
A good way to alleviate some shoulder pain from throwing is to strengthen your rear deltoids through pulling movements like rows. The latest evidence suggests that most the damage done to the should is from the deceleration portion of the throwing motion.

This obviously would only help if your shoulder isn't to the point of needing surgerical repair.

Hanovi

Desperados Softball
Try KT Tape I really love it I have the same problem with the bum shoulder and I swear by this stuff

Trey32

Manager
A good way to alleviate some shoulder pain from throwing is to strengthen your rear deltoids through pulling movements like rows. The latest evidence suggests that most the damage done to the should is from the deceleration portion of the throwing motion.

This obviously would only help if your shoulder isn't to the point of needing surgerical repair.

i also started doing olot more excercises involving my shoulders since wearing a sleeve and it seems to have helped as well

jem74

Addicted to Softballfans
I've started p.t. for slap tear and partial rotator cuff tear.. to strengthen delirious etc. just thought some type of compression would help keep shoulder warm.. no pain at all swinging at least.

From someone coming off a jacked up shoulder, I completely agree. The key for me was strengthening all of the muscles surrounding the shoulder. The compression sleeve seems like a short term fix, or to help "performance." If your shoulder if torn up like you said, you probably need to work on strengthening it and the surrounding muscles.

jem74

Addicted to Softballfans
I'm currently doing p.t. for my shoulder...lots of focus on the deltoids. like you said rows etc

Last edited:

pjordan4477

Hashtag a hashtag
They will not help. Like stated they are intended to compress and retain heat in the elbow area. If your shoulder is tore up you need to seek help from your doctor or a certified physical therapist. Too many guys try to remedy their own injuries only to make them worse. At the end of the day we need to be able to differentiate between playing through nicks and serious injuries. Imo a shoulder that you describe as tore up could indicate anything from a rotator cuff injury to a torn labrum.

I wear them strictly for heat, keeping the elbow as loose as possible during game play, when you can't just start playing catch to warm up again.

I have them for my calves also.

jem74

Addicted to Softballfans
I'm aware that sleeves are for the elbow. I should have asked if they make any type of compression shirt designed for shoulder..

pjordan4477

Hashtag a hashtag
^^^a tight one.

I have no brand preferance, it's all about fitment

They make some for shoulders they are like a long sleeve dic kie.