Conditioning Kangaroo Leather?

Benny775

Addicted to Softballfans
I just bought a Nokona 1st base Mitt from a Board Bro, it's Kangaroo leather and I've never conditioned Kangaroo Leather before. Anything I need to know? Also, should I use regular Nokona Glove Treatment (vaseline) or something else?

juggernaut1

Got Lasers? I DO
I would use Lanolin called Lansinoh

You can get it at walmart or in the glove section a board bro sells it and he saves you some $$ on it. But yes you can use any conditioner on kangaro, lanolin is the best imho.....

Benny775

Addicted to Softballfans
You can get it at walmart or in the glove section a board bro sells it and he saves you some $$ on it. But yes you can use any conditioner on kangaro, lanolin is the best imho.....

What section of Wal Mart would this be in?

Benny775

Addicted to Softballfans

So, I went and bought some Lanolin at the wal mart and conditioned the inside of the glove. Nokona's are notoriously tough to break in, so I'm kinda curious to see if this helps..........

Calli4120

ASA Free Since 05
I would use this

aussie-3-minute-miracle.jpg

Rous

Addicted to Softballfans
If the glove is essentially new, it shouldn't need ANY conditioner on the kangaroo side of the glove. To speed the break-in, maybe a little in the triangle between the base of the web and the hinge, but that is it. Try to get it to break in mainly with mechanical break-in.

Benny775

Addicted to Softballfans
If the glove is essentially new, it shouldn't need ANY conditioner on the kangaroo side of the glove. To speed the break-in, maybe a little in the triangle between the base of the web and the hinge, but that is it. Try to get it to break in mainly with mechanical break-in.

The glove isn't new. I bought it on here from a board bro. It looks to have been hardly used, but it seems like maybe it has sat for a while. The leather seemed a little dry........

I'm also a freak about keeping my gloves well conditioned. If the leather seems even a little dry I'll condition it. I probably condition my gloves 3x a year.

The glove isn't new. I bought it on here from a board bro. It looks to have been hardly used, but it seems like maybe it has sat for a while. The leather seemed a little dry........

I'm also a freak about keeping my gloves well conditioned. If the leather seems even a little dry I'll condition it. I probably condition my gloves 3x a year.

Just make sure you don't use too much conditioner on it when you do this or your gloves will be as heavy as a brick.

Rous

Addicted to Softballfans
And one thing an SBM100 doesn't need is extra weight! But also, more conditioner will break the leather down more quickly. In fact, the Glovesmith Glove Honey (which is really just pure lanolin oil) bottle warns you to use it sparingly to keep the leather from breaking down. One light coat of Lexol brown (or Glove Stuff or whatever) at the start of a season and a light coat of Vaseline at the end of the season is the most I would put on a glove.

I actually think that Vaseline is one of the less problematic conditioners because it sits on the surface and doesn't soak in at all (it just seals in whatever moisture is in there at the time). But there are some guys that claim it is harmful. Joe Phillips (a.k.a. The Glove Collector) tells me he has used it on the same Nokona AMG400K (Buckaroo) for 22 years and it still has not gotten heavy or floppy.

Benny775

Addicted to Softballfans
And one thing an SBM100 doesn't need is extra weight! But also, more conditioner will break the leather down more quickly. In fact, the Glovesmith Glove Honey (which is really just pure lanolin oil) bottle warns you to use it sparingly to keep the leather from breaking down. One light coat of Lexol brown (or Glove Stuff or whatever) at the start of a season and a light coat of Vaseline at the end of the season is the most I would put on a glove.

I actually think that Vaseline is one of the less problematic conditioners because it sits on the surface and doesn't soak in at all (it just seals in whatever moisture is in there at the time). But there are some guys that claim it is harmful. Joe Phillips (a.k.a. The Glove Collector) tells me he has used it on the same Nokona AMG400K (Buckaroo) for 22 years and it still has not gotten heavy or floppy.

I've always used Nokona Leather Treatment, which is just Vaseline in a tube as far as I can tell. It seems to work really well. I got some Lanolin this time around to try to soften the leather. I put on a thin coat, and I'll go back to NLT next time. I play in Oregon 10 Months a year and we get rained on a lot.................