Craziest stuff you've seen playing softball?

Hiltz

Built for comfort
Played a fundraiser tournament on open fields right in town. Really low-key recreational affair; teams made up of college students that had never played before, guys borrowing gloves because they didn't own their own, etc.

Between games, I was telling my buddy about another time I played on those fields and this one team showed up with 17-18 people and one Walmart bat. Time came for our next game to start and we started throwing to warm up. Then the other team showed up. 17-18 people, none of them carrying a bat bag, one dude carrying a $39.99 Worth Amp.

The field we played on had pylons to mark the OF fence and "homeruns" counted as singles when you were past your limit. We ended up beating them like 47-3. At one point a few of us took some of our bats over and dumped them off by their bench, told them to try them out. Next batter picks up my Mizuno Nighthawk, takes a dry swing, makes a screwed-up face and exchanges it for the Worth Amp. TING, 3-hopper back to the pitcher's feet. Came back to a string of high-fives for "making contact".

Joker

Played a fundraiser tournament on open fields right in town. Really low-key recreational affair; teams made up of college students that had never played before, guys borrowing gloves because they didn't own their own, etc.

Between games, I was telling my buddy about another time I played on those fields and this one team showed up with 17-18 people and one Walmart bat. Time came for our next game to start and we started throwing to warm up. Then the other team showed up. 17-18 people, none of them carrying a bat bag, one dude carrying a $39.99 Worth Amp.

The field we played on had pylons to mark the OF fence and "homeruns" counted as singles when you were past your limit. We ended up beating them like 47-3. At one point a few of us took some of our bats over and dumped them off by their bench, told them to try them out. Next batter picks up my Mizuno Nighthawk, takes a dry swing, makes a screwed-up face and exchanges it for the Worth Amp. TING, 3-hopper back to the pitcher's feet. Came back to a string of high-fives for "making contact".
so crazy

Played coed. Girl that got picked up to play with us was one of the better SS I've ever seen (man or woman) and almost went yard on a 315' field with a metal bat. Learned later she had a ring from ASU.

Normy

Played coed. Girl that got picked up to play with us was one of the better SS I've ever seen (man or woman) and almost went yard on a 315' field with a metal bat. Learned later she had a ring from ASU.
We have a few girls around here like that. They get a big smirk on their face when they see the outfield playing the courtesy line.

Last edited:

Redsfan

Our SS has 4 unassisted triple plays in the last year 1/2. Had the 4th one a couple weeks ago.

EdFred

every day I'm shovelin'
Our SS has 4 unassisted triple plays in the last year 1/2. Had the 4th one a couple weeks ago.

How the does the runner on first base wind up so close to second on a line drive that the SS can tag him out? Are you playing in a trisomy league?

Redsfan

How the does the runner on first base wind up so close to second on a line drive that the SS can tag him out? Are you playing in a trisomy league?

It's actually pretty simple. Runners on 1st and 2nd. He always plays close to the base line when that happens. Hard grounder right to him. Tag runner going to 3rd, run to second touch bag, then throw to first. If I didn't see them I wouldn't believe it either.

Joker

It's actually pretty simple. Runners on 1st and 2nd. He always plays close to the base line when that happens. Hard grounder right to him. Tag runner going to 3rd, run to second touch bag, then throw to first. If I didn't see them I wouldn't believe it either.
i don't think you understand what unassisted means

Redsfan

Yeah I used the wording wrong, too late to edit it. I guess the guy catching it at first is an assist.

Some of the old guys in the "Ask The Umpire" section would still find a way to blame that on a player.

Sig-worthy.

It started because of a player lol. The ump in the field took a shot to the chest because he wasn't paying attention, yelled at the plate ump "DAMNIT RONNY I TOLD YOU THIS **** WOULD HAPPEN IF I WAS IN THE FIELD", proceeded to keep yelling at the home ump for not having time since "He wasn't ready" and then swung at the home plate ump twice and took two shots and got slept.

fowlball75

Addicted to Softballfans
We didn't have enough guys at a tournament so we picked up a guy in the parking lot. After this guy went to his car to cut his jeans into shorts we gave him a glove and put him at 2nd base. Well he played pretty good. He hit great and stopped everything hit his way but he threw the ball like his arm was hurt.. After the game we gave him a beer and thanked him for helping us out and then we asked him if he had hurt his arm because of the way he threw the ball. He told us no because he was left handed and we gave him the wrong glove.

Had played a tourney about 5-6 years ago - we wound up winning the first two games and had like 4-5 hours before next game. Bunch of dudes got drunk in the parking lot and tried to play the next game.

Watched our left center fielder run for the ball and miss horribly...problem was there was a fence at 300 ft there and the ball was hit 350 easy... Nobody said nothing cause we all knew it was way gone or was watching it fly out only to hear him hit the fence and be left laying on the warning track.

saintrules

Was waiting for my game to start a few days back & watched a beef squad launch a ball that hit the CF lights. Not the pole. The LIGHTS, a good five or six stories high. This was not a flyball either, a gassing liner. I forgot my measuring tape that night, but if I have to make an educated guess, I would say it was somewhere near a 475' HR. We typically get guys putting them out 350-375 max, but this was on another level.

Donger73

Addicted to Softballfans
In my experience, if there's a "Ronny" or a "Craig" around, it's usually their fault.

Hilariously true, I have witnessed 1 in game fist fight in 20 years. Was after a play at the dish at worlds, later learned the 2 combatants names....Ron and Craig

SandyWH

#Delicious
Had played a tourney about 5-6 years ago - we wound up winning the first two games and had like 4-5 hours before next game. Bunch of dudes got drunk in the parking lot and tried to play the next game.

Watched our left center fielder run for the ball and miss horribly...problem was there was a fence at 300 ft there and the ball was hit 350 easy... Nobody said nothing cause we all knew it was way gone or was watching it fly out only to hear him hit the fence and be left laying on the warning track.
Played on a squad two years ago, we're sitting back for like 4 hours, our CF & LF get so high during the break the first batter of the championship game hit an easy fly in the gap. Neither guy made even a motion toward the ball, and even after it hit the ground they just stood there looking at each other like the other was in the wrong for not going after. Batter 4-bagged what should have been a routine fly.

Banero

Addicted to Softballfans
A Do over in slow pitch softball. 1 out, runner on 1B. Hard line drive hit to RC. Our RC charges and dives for it rolls and immediately throws to 2B. Field ump calls runner out, batter-runner safe at 1B. Home plate ump calls runner safe, batter-runner out. They come together to talk about it and cannot make a decision. So they put the runner back on 1B and the batter back at the plate and reset his count. We should have protested, but our coach was so shocked that he didn't even think about it. They went on to score 8 runs in the inning and ended up winning by 5 runs.

ETDave

Old School
Several year ago the team I played on decided not to play in fall league.

Another team asked my friend and I to play fall league with them. We show up for our first game and most of the team we picked up on is drunk. We bat first and our first batter, who is very drunk, hits the ball to the fence between the outfielders. He can barely walk, much less run and when he gets to the shortstop position he falls and goes down hard. He gets up and starts mouthing the shortstop for tripping him. The shortstop was no where near him when he fell. Those two start fighting and soon both teams empty the dugout, bats are thrown on the field and it gets really ugly. My friend and I just sit in the dugout watching these idiots. The police are called and the guy who started it all was still in full drunk, rage mode when they arrived. He yelled that there aren't enough police in town to take him to jail. Shortly after that they had him handcuffed and he was begging for them to loosen the cuffs.

Both teams were thrown out of the league, and my friend and I didn't even get on the field for the thirty dollar league fee we each paid. However, it was about the best entertainment I've ever seen for thirty dollars.

BigWhiffa

Underwear Researcher
thats hilarious.

I coached a team and we had these 2 brothers who played who when by themselves were great to have on the team but when they were together it was like they fed off of each other aggression to the point where it could get really annoying. so one of the brothers is on first, ball is hit in the air he goes half way, he runs back to 1st, ball isn't even thrown but the 1B is standing not where he was supposed to be (it was apparent he was not used to playing first) and my guy just barrells into him, the 1B gets all pissed and shoves him, and they have to be separated. The ump calls the runner out. and he and his brother just go ballistic. his brother looks at me and is like "YOU ARE JUST GONNA LET THAT GUY PUSH MY BROTHER AND ALLOW IT AND THEN MY BROTHER GETS CALLED OUT!" I'm like, "your brother is a maniac and quite frankly deserved it" he huffed off. I was just standing there coaching third the entire time like wtf is going on.

after a few innings, the 1B came over and he has tears in his eyes. This team is a team from a local church and this guy is the pastor of the church. He apologized for his actions to the entire team (he made a point to mention that) and you could tell was visibly upset by it . He and the one brother shook hands and that was that.

jcmichaels42

Addicted to Softballfans
Played on a Sunday coed team a few years back. Our pitcher and catcher were brother and sister, and in the finals we played a team that had their 2 brothers on the team. Also in this league, no umps and the catcher calls fair and foul balls....you hit until you strike out swinging or hit the ball. Anyway, close game and one of the brothers hits a ball deep down the 3rd base line...his sister, our catcher yells "foul ball!"

Well this guy continues running around the bases and as he gets to home yells at his sister "you fat f*ckin c*nt, you know that ball was fair!"

Well from there it degenerated into an all out family shoving/slapping/argument. Eventually the dad (yes he coached our team) finally got it stopped. So much for Sunday, fun-day....

JN137

Tourney a few weeks back.. We make it to Sunday pretty easily, 1 game before the ship, trailing by 1 run going into the bottom of the last inning. We have a guy on 1st, guy batting gets a full count - What would undoubtedly be ball 4 is tossed across the plate. Not wanting to "walk" the guy batting casually "swings" purposely missing and apparently forgetting that he had a full count on him. Game over.

So, intentional unintentional strikeout to end the game.. I don't think I've ever seen that one before. I've definitely seen guys not want to walk on league nights, but in a tourney down by 1? Come on man

Hiltz

Built for comfort
Field ump calls runner out, batter-runner safe at 1B. Home plate ump calls runner safe, batter-runner out. They come together to talk about it and cannot make a decision.

Good thing it wasn't Craig and Randy umping, there would've been knuckles flying.

I coached a team and we had these 2 brothers who played who when by themselves were great to have on the team but when they were together it was like they fed off of each other aggression to the point where it could get really annoying.

****ing Craig and Randy.

Played on a Sunday coed team a few years back. Our pitcher and catcher were brother and sister...

...as he gets to home yells at his sister "you fat f*ckin c*nt, you know that ball was fair!"

Good ol' Sunday league.

hitsone

Halloween costume co-ed tourney. I'm pitching, looked at the batter, she was dressed like an old time fat ball player with red cheeks and clown nose........then I look again and see her fly is open and there is a long black dildo sticking out. I laughed so hard I couldn't pitch.
The ump did not have a sense of humor and made her remove it.
Years later she made National Enquirer when that scandal about the bachelorette finalist was big news. Seems she had dated him before that.

smoke

50AAA USA National Champs
Men’s League championship game and everyone was drinking pretty good all day, including the fans. Some of the girls started standing by the 1st base foul lines shouting “TITS FOR HITS” and would lift their shirts every time we got a hit. Never saw so many doubles and triples turn into singles
SMOKE