creatine mono

Drumbum37

Addicted to Softballfans
Loading isn't necessary. It might help to get your muscles saturated with it quicker, but that's about it. Make sure you drink plenty of water.

Morris 14

Loading isn't necessary. It might help to get your muscles saturated with it quicker, but that's about it. Make sure you drink plenty of water.

I do drink tons of water, not new to lifting, just never supplemented with creatine.

Fro Joe

Snowden is a hero.
I use creatine mono as all the others have proven to be busts or not worth the price. It's the most researched supplement on the market. It's the one supplement I won't go without. Loading really isn't needed.

It's cheap and proven. If you're wanting strength you should be using it.

tap2284

Watching baseball somewhere
I use creatine mono as all the others have proven to be busts or not worth the price. It's the most researched supplement on the market. It's the one supplement I won't go without. Loading really isn't needed.

Proven if you are getting into the phosphocreatine phase when working out.

Fro Joe

Snowden is a hero.
Just an abstract, but the first one I pulled up.

Effects of creatine supplementation and resistance training on muscle strength and weightlifting performance.
Rawson ES, Volek JS.
Author information
Abstract
Creatine monohydrate has become the supplement of choice for many athletes striving to improve sports performance. Recent data indicate that athletes may not be using creatine as a sports performance booster per se but instead use creatine chronically as a training aid to augment intense resistance training workouts. Although several studies have evaluated the combined effects of creatine supplementation and resistance training on muscle strength and weightlifting performance, these data have not been analyzed collectively. The purpose of this review is to evaluate the effects of creatine supplementation on muscle strength and weightlifting performance when ingested concomitant with resistance training. The effects of gender, interindividual variability, training status, and possible mechanisms of action are discussed. Of the 22 studies reviewed, the average increase in muscle strength (1, 3, or 10 repetition maximum [RM]) following creatine supplementation plus resistance training was 8% greater than the average increase in muscle strength following placebo ingestion during resistance training (20 vs. 12%). Similarly, the average increase in weightlifting performance (maximal repetitions at a given percent of maximal strength) following creatine supplementation plus resistance training was 14% greater than the average increase in weightlifting performance following placebo ingestion during resistance training (26 vs. 12%). The increase in bench press 1RM ranged from 3 to 45%, and the improvement in weightlifting performance in the bench press ranged from 16 to 43%. Thus there is substantial evidence to indicate that creatine supplementation during resistance training is more effective at increasing muscle strength and weightlifting performance than resistance training alone, although the response is highly variable.
PMID: 14636102 [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]

grubd

Banned User

This right here

Morris 14

This is why I got it, and on sale....$18 for 600grams

tap2284

That study also states that it showed little to no affect in highly trained athletes, or older people. And the Line at the end says it's highly variable. So to say it works, is a blanket statement that can't be proven.

WarHorse

Star Player
I get bigger pumps with creatine, but I don't know how proven it is. It's cheap so I use it but I also keep an eye out on studies that may say it's bad.

Just be sure to drink a ****load of water, or you'll be crapping blood

Fro Joe

Snowden is a hero.
That study also states that it showed little to no affect in highly trained athletes, or older people. And the Line at the end says it's highly variable. So to say it works, is a blanket statement that can't be proven.

Where do you see that?

tap2284

Sorry. I guess it wasn't that study... Was reading a few studies at once.... From the website http://www.nlm.nih.gov

How effective is it?
Natural Medicines Comprehensive Database rates effectiveness based on scientific evidence according to the following scale: Effective, Likely Effective, Possibly Effective, Possibly Ineffective, Likely Ineffective, Ineffective, and Insufficient Evidence to Rate.

The effectiveness ratings for CREATINE are as follows:

Possibly effective for...
Improving the athletic performance of young, healthy people during brief, high-intensity exercise such as sprinting. Many factors seem to influence the effectiveness of creatine, including the fitness level and age of the person using it, the type of sport, and the dose. Creatine does not seem to improve performance in aerobic exercises, or benefit older people. Also, creatine does not seem to increase endurance or improve performance in highly trained athletes. There is some evidence that creatine “loading,” using 20 grams daily for 5 days, may be more effective than continuous use. But remember, there is still some uncertainty about exactly who can benefit from creatine and at what dose. Studies to date have included small numbers of people (all have involved fewer than 40 participants), and it is not possible to draw firm conclusions from such small numbers.

Fro Joe

Snowden is a hero.
Sorry. I guess it wasn't that study... Was reading a few studies at once.... From the website http://www.nlm.nih.gov

How effective is it?
Natural Medicines Comprehensive Database rates effectiveness based on scientific evidence according to the following scale: Effective, Likely Effective, Possibly Effective, Possibly Ineffective, Likely Ineffective, Ineffective, and Insufficient Evidence to Rate.

The effectiveness ratings for CREATINE are as follows:

Possibly effective for...
Improving the athletic performance of young, healthy people during brief, high-intensity exercise such as sprinting. Many factors seem to influence the effectiveness of creatine, including the fitness level and age of the person using it, the type of sport, and the dose. Creatine does not seem to improve performance in aerobic exercises, or benefit older people. Also, creatine does not seem to increase endurance or improve performance in highly trained athletes. There is some evidence that creatine “loading,” using 20 grams daily for 5 days, may be more effective than continuous use. But remember, there is still some uncertainty about exactly who can benefit from creatine and at what dose. Studies to date have included small numbers of people (all have involved fewer than 40 participants), and it is not possible to draw firm conclusions from such small numbers.
I see nothing here indicating why they don't think it benefits highly trained athletes. I agree that it probably doesn't benefit aerobic exercises.

wcoastsoftball

x 3, or 4 I guess depending on who is counting.

Drumbum37

Addicted to Softballfans
The first 5-10 seconds of exercise are fueled by the phosphacreatine system. Then you switch to glycolysis and eventually oxidative phosphorylation for ATP production.

Dirt27

Cage Bomb Hero
x 3, or 4 I guess depending on who is counting.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

tap2284 I am REALLY not into supplementation, BUT, I have ALWAYS consistently said that this supplement WORKS and is the MOST researched supplement on the market.