Current knuckleballers

ilyk2win

Addicted to Softballfans
I hold mine similar to how Country described except I use my middle and ring fingers, almost like a Spiderman look I guess. I don't dig my nails in but rather the face of my nails on the smooth part of the ball and extend those 2 fingers at release - push the ball - to get the knuckle effect. 95% of what I throw is some variation of a knuckle ball.

blakcherry329

I posted a thread back in 2010, I think, maybe earlier, in the Modified sections, with all the different ways I grip my Knuckleball. But SBF doesn't save back far enough for me to find it.
I did find another of my old posts about the Knuckle ball.
In a nutshell, 3 fingers (index, middle, ring), grab it with your nails, pinky curled under so it won't create spin on the ball. Flick your fingers like you're throwing a hand full of dirt. Different grips create different movements.

http://www.yourcityguide.net/softball/

Normy

I posted a thread back in 2010, I think, maybe earlier, in the Modified sections, with all the different ways I grip my Knuckleball. But SBF doesn't save back far enough for me to find it.
In a nutshell, 3 fingers (index, middle, ring), grab it with your nails, pinky curled under so it won't create spin on the ball. Flick your fingers like you're throwing a hand full of dirt. Different grips create different movements.

Never tried it with the pinky curled under. I'll give it a shot next practice.

jbo911

Super Moderator
Staff member

I found a post where another member said to check this thread http://forums.softballfans.com/threads/calling-all-modified-pitchers.927634/ and click the links in your sig to see your knuckleball. Is this the thread you meant?

Normy

Had a chance to throw today. For whatever reason, my knuckle ball was far better not taking a step vs stepping with the left foot. It takes a little more umph to get it there which may be the reason. Still prefer four fingernails in the seams but I'll keep practicing the different grips mentioned here. Thanks for resurrecting these threads.

blakcherry329

I found a post where another member said to check this thread http://forums.softballfans.com/threads/calling-all-modified-pitchers.927634/ and click the links in your sig to see your knuckleball. Is this the thread you meant?
Yeah, kind of. I found that thread, but I posted a thread with the 3 different grips I use for my knuckleball and the way it breaks with each grip. I guess that original post was a little older. It's all basically the same grip, but on different areas of the ball.
Thanks for checking. :)

arther itis

payin' to get paid
Yeah, kind of. I found that thread, but I posted a thread with the 3 different grips I use for my knuckleball and the way it breaks with each grip. I guess that original post was a little older. It's all basically the same grip, but on different areas of the ball.

I remember your thread that you're referring to. You had a link in your sig at one time. I'd look at the thread from time to time.

jbo911

Super Moderator
Staff member
Hard to search on my phone. I'll try again now on my laptop. I'm curious to see them.

blakcherry329

Ok, I found the pics buried in my Photobucket(you can tell how old the pics are with the White SB. lol)

From top to bottom...
The grips and how the ball tends to move(no pitch always does what it's supposed to do all the time)

1. Rise or just wobble
  2. Breaks away from lefties
  3. Drops or breaks away from righties
  4. Wobbles (I use this grip when I need a strike)
As you can see, your nails don't have to be really long to use this grip. Just a little longer than the tips of your fingers.

IMG00329.JPG IMG00330 (1).JPG IMG00328.JPG IMG00331.JPG

WiLD53

"The grips and how the ball tends to move(no pitch always does what it's supposed to do all the time)"

this is modified... right? :cool:

blakcherry329

Well actually, you're right. I'm still thinking Modifiedly(to use a made up word. lol) But it also applied to Flatter UTrip pitches, too.

Good catch on that.

WiLD53

i tried my first knuckleball in a game last night... it was ugly and had rotation all over it... but it was a strike that got hit... i don't remember what happened though... we were way ahead and i figured there was no better time to try one... :cool:

Normy

i tried my first knuckleball in a game last night... it was ugly and had rotation all over it... but it was a strike that got hit... i don't remember what happened though... we were way ahead and i figured there was no better time to try one... :cool:
Heck yeah! If I had a quarter for every ugly knuckle ball that got mashed, I'd be able to go on a Canadian bear hunt. It can only improve with practice. There's nothing better than throwing a beauty and having your opponent give you the wtf was that look. Ranks right up there with the Combat crack ;)

blakcherry329

You should warm up throwing nothing but Knucklers in the beginning. Then throw your go to pitches toward the end of your routine since you can probably do that with your eyes closed.

That's what I do. I have problems throwing regular pitches, so that's how I warm up and throw BP. Nothing but straight stuff or curves.
I don't really need to practice KBs, anymore. Just a few to get loose and I'm good to go.

WiLD53

i threw about 10 during warmups... none of them was worthy of being called knucklballs though... but surprisingly i seem to be able to throw it accurately although i have yet to figure out the basic concept...:cool:

Normy

I have found that with the grip it also depends on what I do with my wrist. If I keep it solid I get less movement then I do If I flick it.
Flicking it like described in the video? I've always locked my wrist but may have to give it a try.

blakcherry329

That's basically how I throw mines except my pinky is bent under to avoid spin. My nails never get as long as his, however. lol

MEATLOAF76

Addicted to Softballfans
Yes, If I keep my wrist straight it seems like I have to throw the ball harder and I don't get much movement. When I flick my wrist it feels easier to throw and I get move movement late in the pitch.

Dogue

Evil Genius
I can't get it over the plate with a locked wrist. I too flick.
Yeah, if I'm just screwing around and tossing a short distance the locked wrist can make for a great knuckleball but it's hard to throw it 53' that way without imparting some spin. I think a little wrist action with a well-timed staightening of the fingers is the best approach.

blakcherry329

I learned to throw it overhand, in baseball. Then I just translated that to underhand. It was, pretty much, a seamless transition. Maybe that will help you guys get the correct mechanics down pat?

WiLD53

I learned to throw it overhand, in baseball. Then I just translated that to underhand. It was, pretty much, a seamless transition. Maybe that will help you guys get the correct mechanics down pat?
it doesn't help me any... i can't throw a knuckle with a baseball either... :cool:

blakcherry329

it doesn't help me any... i can't throw a knuckle with a baseball either... :cool:
So you expected to be able to throw it, just like that? Practice, geez
I'm a little offended that you thought you'd be able to just pick up the ball and throw a good knuckleball.

J/K. LOL, but it might be easier to pick up if you throw it overhand.
Btw, you can throw a softball overhand, too. ijs...;)

And you do have to flick your wrist, otherwise it's a shotput. If you flick your wrist it's easier to get the proper distance, imo.

Normy

So you expected to be able to throw it, just like that? Practice, geez
I'm a little offended that you thought you'd be able to just pick up the ball and throw a good knuckleball.

J/K. LOL, but it might be easier to pick up if you throw it overhand.
Btw, you can throw a softball overhand, too. ijs...;)

And you do have to flick your wrist, otherwise it's a shotput. If you flick your wrist it's easier to get the proper distance, imo.
I guess I'm just a shotput weirdo then lol. The knuckleball requires a TON of practice to get consistency. Some days I just throw in the towel because it doesn't work. Period. Other days it could be a contestant on dancing with the Stars.

Normy

Worth Slowpitch on Facebook put up a vid the other day with Purcell talking through how he throws it. Was good to watch.
Very interesting. I've never tried holding it deep in the palm like that. Have always had short fingernails buried in the seams held normal. He's one of the GOAT's so I'll have to try it and add the little wrist flick for good measure.

WiLD53

So you expected to be able to throw it, just like that? Practice, geez I'm a little offended that you thought you'd be able to just pick up the ball and throw a good knuckleball.

i wish it was that easy... it took a long time to figure out my slider... and even longer to figure out why it works... obviously i can be patient... i'll give it another 2 or 3 weeks and i'll be striking everyone out... :D

i've tried a few of the different grips and palming it actually seems the most comfortable to me but i haven't managed any knucklers yet with it... it's good to see someone's doing it that way... i may just stick to that grip...

here's the link to that video Pheonix51 referred to ...

Last edited: