ASA Deadball - Advance or No?

Tynimiller

Recovering SBF addict
Had a call go against us or at least we think...now it didn't affect the outcome of the game but it got me thinking if it were in a more crunch time situation what is the proper call.

A runner hit a ball to shallow CF...rounded 1B extremely long and our CF decided to throw to 1B as he attempted to retreat back. The ball gets past the first baseman and goes under a closed/latched gate to the dugout.

Umpire gave the runner 2B...is this not a stopped deadball ruling with no advancing?

eddieq

The Great and Powerful Q
2 bases from their position at the time the ball was released for a ball thrown out of play. The award would be third.

BretMan

Addicted to Softballfans
This is a dead ball, then a two-base award for the runner.

The two bases are determined from the runner's position when the throw was made. Since this runner had already touched first base when the throw was made, his award should be third base.

Tynimiller

Recovering SBF addict
It's not a good thing. It's a wrong thing!

No I understand that aspect of it, but the umpire only advanced their guy to 2B not 3B. I knew the call was wrong but was sure if it fact is was treated like a ball stuck in fence or such it should have been 2 bags...

eddieq

The Great and Powerful Q
One thing that's for sure, there are areas in this country with stockpiles of pristine condition ASA rulebooks. Not a single spine is cracked. ;)

Tynimiller

Recovering SBF addict
One thing that's for sure, there are areas in this country with stockpiles of pristine condition ASA rulebooks. Not a single spine is cracked. ;)

I personally don't ump but I'm grabbing one tonight from a league director whose got a bunch.

MaverickAH

Truer words were never spoken!

The other part of the problem is there are many, many leagues that go by the ASA rule set but aren't registered ASA. They're not insured, don't use registered ASA umpires & generally, the coaches/players/umpires don't have a clue.

I personally don't ump but I'm grabbing one tonight from a league director whose got a bunch.

That would be good! What I would also advise you to do is to ask him for a UIC contact for you to talk with. Just reading the rule book is not always a straight-forward thing. You're going to need guidance on interpretation & application.

cjangeloni1986

Addicted to Softballfans
Does the fact he was retreating effect what base he is awarded? Since he was going back towards 1st at the time of the throw would 1st base count as one of the awarded bases? If not is their a situation where the base you were retreating to was counted as part of the 2 base reward? For example R1 on first, batter hits fly ball to shallow outfield. The ball gets caught and R1 heads back to first. WHile he is heading back the outfielder tries to get him out at first but the ball goes out of play. Would the runner only be awarded second since he had to tag up? Thank you for clarification.

eddieq

The Great and Powerful Q
Does the fact he was retreating effect what base he is awarded? Since he was going back towards 1st at the time of the throw would 1st base count as one of the awarded bases? If not is their a situation where the base you were retreating to was counted as part of the 2 base reward? For example R1 on first, batter hits fly ball to shallow outfield. The ball gets caught and R1 heads back to first. WHile he is heading back the outfielder tries to get him out at first but the ball goes out of play. Would the runner only be awarded second since he had to tag up? Thank you for clarification.

Not in ASA. Direction of travel makes no difference in ASA as far as awarded bases. They are still required to retouch, but bases left too soon or missed that need to be retouched are not part of the award in ASA. USSSA slowpitch only does count the retouch as one of the awarded bases. USSSA fastpitch does not. Don't ask why.

sjury

The Old Man
Even in USSSA, the thread situation the runner gets third, because he wasn't required to retouch first. The retouch part of the rule would be on a caught fly ball, if the runner was off base at the catch.