Other Defensive Player Stumbes into Base Runner

TexasTransplant

Addicted to Softballfans
Baserunner is approaching 3B. Third baseman bobbles the incoming throw and, in the process of trying to retrieve it, inadvertently stumbles into the baserunner, who is now standing on 3B. What is the call in each of the following situations:

1. Runner is knocked off the base, and third baseman retrieves the ball and tags the runner before he can regain the base.

2. Runner uses his hands to brace himself from the collision and maintain his position on the base.

3. Runner physically pushes the baseman and maintains his position on the base.

I realize there is going to be an element of judgement to discern between 2 and 3, if it makes any difference.

Sanction was SPA (Softball Players Association, 2nd largest senior org.) Maybe this only happens in senior ball. :)

NCASAUmp

Un-Retired
1. Safe.
2. Safe.
3. Probably safe, but could be called out for interference if he interfered with defense's ability to get an out on another runner. Probably ejected after the inevitable fistfight he just started.

sjury

The Old Man
^^^ I concur... but I'm not so sure about fist fights in senior ball, but I have watched Grumpy Old Men and Grumpy Old Men 2.