ASA Delayed steal

TF21

Addicted to Softballfans
Runner leading off of third after a pitch and breaking for home when catcher throws ball back to pitcher. Legal or not, and where is it in the rule book?

ktown808

The Unknowns
Legal unless time was called I believe. Not really a delayed steal...just the runner doing a good job catching the pitcher and catcher off guard.

BretMan

Addicted to Softballfans
Not working a whole lot of slow pitch, I never really paid much attention to the Rules Supplement about stealing (#50) .

I see that the R/S in the 2010 Rule Book has a major typo, leaving out several sentences that make the thing read like jibberish. That should thoroughly confuse anybody trying to understand the rule by reading the R/S!

NCASAUmp

Un-Retired
Not working a whole lot of slow pitch, I never really paid much attention to the Rules Supplement about stealing (#50) .

I see that the R/S in the 2010 Rule Book has a major typo, leaving out several sentences that make the thing read like jibberish. That should thoroughly confuse anybody trying to understand the rule by reading the R/S!

Yep, I believe the 2009 version has those missing sentences.

Slight error in editing...

(Q'.')-o

Addicted to Softballfans
Ruling

If the ball hits infront or on the plate, it is a dead ball, runners cannot advance.
Once the pitch has cleared the plate, the runners are available to run at will UNTIL the pitcher is set.
Once the pitcher is set it resets, therefore the runner must wait until the pitch has cleared the plate.

You can run after the pitch crosses the plate until the pitcher sets to pitch again.

Examples:
Over throw the pitcher
Catcher misses the ball
Steal as the catcher is throwing the ball back to the pitcher
The pitcher is moving the OF

I've stolen second to third catching the pitcher sleeping plenty of times etc.

The biggest thing is, if it hits in front or on the plate it is a DEAD BALL.

glend123

Addicted to Softballfans
wow, there have been plenty of times where I have been on 2nd and the catcher overthrows the pitcher and just to keep the game moving i pick it up and throw it back to the pitcher. of course i didn't know about the ball hitting in front of or on the plate dead ball. looks like i need to pay attention!

TF21

Addicted to Softballfans
I was told the rule will be better defined in next years rule book. In our local leauge it is illeagal to steal home when the catcher is throwing the ball back to the pitcher. However you can steal if the ball is overthrown to the pitcher. Hopefully ASA will come up with a ruling that is interpreted the same by every umpire. I was told by someone who was told by someone that this will be the case. I shall wait and see.

NCASAUmp

Un-Retired
I was told the rule will be better defined in next years rule book. In our local leauge it is illeagal to steal home when the catcher is throwing the ball back to the pitcher. However you can steal if the ball is overthrown to the pitcher. Hopefully ASA will come up with a ruling that is interpreted the same by every umpire. I was told by someone who was told by someone that this will be the case. I shall wait and see.

I'm failing to see why the rule would need to be revised. Could you provide an example of a situation and why the current rule is deficient for that situation?

irishmafia

Addicted to Softballfans

What can make it better, the umpire leading the runner by his balls?

From RS#50.

The ball remains live until the pitcher has possession of the ball in the infield and the completion of all immediate play is apparent.....The ball is live and runners may advance when:
A. A play is made on a runner.
B. The pitcher fails to catch the ball
C. The catcher hits the batter on a throw to the pitcher or to a base during a play. When a play is made on a runner, the ball is live and runners may advance.

TF21

Addicted to Softballfans
Apparently I misinterpreted what I was told and this is a local league rule. Im just a little confused as to why im able to steal home on a ball overthrown back to the pitcher and not on a ball thrown back to the pitcher. I should learn to not to say anything until I have all the facts but this rule just doesnt make any sense to me.

glend123

Addicted to Softballfans
I have never ever seen anyone steal on a missed ball by the catcher or the pitcher. It happens 10 times a game where the pitch hits the side of the mat and the ball bounces sideways and the catcher has to run 10 feet to get it. I could turn a single into a triple in 2 pitches. I'll have to ask the ump before the game before I look like a fool trying this.

NCASAUmp

Un-Retired
I have never ever seen anyone steal on a missed ball by the catcher or the pitcher. It happens 10 times a game where the pitch hits the side of the mat and the ball bounces sideways and the catcher has to run 10 feet to get it. I could turn a single into a triple in 2 pitches. I'll have to ask the ump before the game before I look like a fool trying this.

Most local leagues have not adopted the stealing rules in their slow pitch programs.

12th Man

OG COMbatant
When ASA first allowed stealing in slow pitch they clarified the rule in one of the monthly examples. It might still be on the site. 05-06 ish maybe:confused:

The confusing part was.

Runner starts running BEFORE the the catcher releases the ball. No dead ball regardless of if the Pitcher catches it in the "Pitchers Area"

Runner starts running AFTER the catcher releases the ball, DEAD BALL IF the pitcher catches the ball in the "Pitchers Area".

You can see why there is confusion and most leagues opt out of stealling. But years have past so it may have changed.