DeMarini Bros...would you slide?

AmmoDawg

Rock Chalk Jayhawk
Bases loaded...hot shot the pitcher takes off the chest. I put my back foot on the plate and stand forward and yell 4. Pitcher looks for the ball and slings it to me, but it goes high so I have to jump to grab it. Of course jumping I kinda lean back and as the ball is going into my glove the runner runs through me, hits my right knee and I landed flat on my back without bracing for the impact. Ball knicked off my glove...called safe. Team bitches he should have slid or avoided contact...Blue says safe and it was a clean play. Granted I did look it up (SBF Umpire Sec) and no ASA rule on having to slide, but wouldn't you think to slide on a close play like that or try and avoid contact?

Dallusglockin

BP All-Star
Yeah slide to avoid contact. Slide to the back side of the plate and touch it with your hand on the way by. Then everyone can go to work the next morning.

AmmoDawg

Rock Chalk Jayhawk
Yeah slide to avoid contact. Slide to the back side of the plate and touch it with your hand on the way by. Then everyone can go to work the next morning.

Definitely hurting today :eek: Of course if the throw is online, I catch it for the force and step off before he gets there...

jbo911

Super Moderator
Staff member
Definitely hurting today :eek: Of course if the throw is online, I catch it for the force and step off before he gets there...

If you weren't 3'6" you wouldn't have had to jump. :D

Guy should've slid anyway to avoid any potential tag, but you can't hold too much of a grudge as he was probably thinking run through it like at first since it should've been a force and a good throw by your pitch keeps everyone out of harm's way. When he saw you jump for a bad throw he should've slid, but if it's late and he's not expecting to have to do he probably just couldn't get down in time. Same for avoiding contact.

You're young enough you should feel okay by tomorrow. :D

AmmoDawg

Rock Chalk Jayhawk
If you weren't 3'6" you wouldn't have had to jump. :D

Guy should've slid anyway to avoid any potential tag, but you can't hold too much of a grudge as he was probably thinking run through it like at first since it should've been a force and a good throw by your pitch keeps everyone out of harm's way. When he saw you jump for a bad throw he should've slid, but if it's late and he's not expecting to have to do he probably just couldn't get down in time. Same for avoiding contact.

You're young enough you should feel okay by tomorrow. :D

Get it right jbo...5'3" :p He apologized and it took me saying it was fine and to play ball for my team to calm down. Yeah...a good throw means an easy force out and I go to 1B for a possible double play. Dunno if he had time or not...I was watching the ball and thinking man that shot off the chest had to suck and then I get put on my back, lol

Brewzer

NW Vinci Rep
jbo is spot on (for once) and to answer your question, I can't say I would have slid. No one is at fault here, it just proves that old adage, **** happens.

Chapmandoo

Getting old guy
We have a league rule that you must slide if there is a play at the plate/bag.

I am new to the league and almost got tossed because I bumped into the 3rd baseman when I legged out a triple.

ShaneDuncan

Addicted to Softballfans
I slid on tuesday in a game... have a sprained wrist and a volleyball sized raspberry on my outer calve. Not sliding anymore to save someone on the base and risk hurting myself. Path belongs to the runner unless you have the ball... so unless you have the ball keep yourself out of the way.

fierce_gt

Addicted to Softballfans
I think that's up to the league. this is exactly the reason why I play in leagues with a 'line' and no live plate. nobody pays me to play ball, they pay me to go to work the next day.

also, I never played baseball as a kid, I don't actually know how to slide :eek: so honestly speaking I would have ran at the plate and tried not to get hurt

cyoung187

Coach
Sounds like he was running it out based on your position at home. If I see you on the front half for a force play I would probably run through. I would think there would be more chance of injury with a slide.

AmmoDawg

Rock Chalk Jayhawk
jbo is spot on (for once) and to answer your question, I can't say I would have slid. No one is at fault here, it just proves that old adage, **** happens.

jbo was wrong about my height so he was not spot on :rolleyes:

Path belongs to the runner unless you have the ball... so unless you have the ball keep yourself out of the way.

I was standing at the front of the plate champion...the bad throw took me into his path so I understand why he may not have slid...just asking if ya'll would, but it looks like you need to learn how ;)

WTF?!? I mean this half jokingly but damn you suck lol
and a sliding pad cost like 10$... pants cost 20$

THIS :eek:

Sounds like he was running it out based on your position at home. If I see you on the front half for a force play I would probably run through. I would think there would be more chance of injury with a slide.

Completely understand that...a good throw or the P fielding his position and this isn't even posted. Like Brewzer said...**** happens. He asked if I was alright, I said yeah and we pressed on :cool:

Triple7

Addicted to Softballfans
Nah bro I'm not sliding. Don't bloke the plate and don't get run over. Simple as that.

jstn8887

Addicted to Softballfans
Bases loaded...hot shot the pitcher takes off the chest. I put my back foot on the plate and stand forward and yell 4. Pitcher looks for the ball and slings it to me, but it goes high so I have to jump to grab it. Of course jumping I kinda lean back and as the ball is going into my glove the runner runs through me, hits my right knee and I landed flat on my back without bracing for the impact. Ball knicked off my glove...called safe. Team bitches he should have slid or avoided contact...Blue says safe and it was a clean play. Granted I did look it up (SBF Umpire Sec) and no ASA rule on having to slide, but wouldn't you think to slide on a close play like that or try and avoid contact?

You don't have to slide, but the runner can't put his arms up to defend himself, launch himself at the catcher, or put his shoulder into it.

JPG

Lefty
This happen to me last week, catcher thought because he was 3 times my size he would block home. He blocks home so last min I say F it and run straight into him. BOOOOOM. No sorry, no crying, no nothing we all just moved on. So as for me I don't avoid contact. If someone is in my way BOOOOOM.

bird25

34/30 Club #25

This, I would have tried to run to the back half of the plate but if the throw took you into my path I probably would have just caught you instead of sliding. I don't feel bad about giving myself up on that play since the dumbass at the plate should know better than to hit middle with bases loaded and less than 2 out.

If I slide I'm definitely going to undercut you and it would be worse.

AmmoDawg

Rock Chalk Jayhawk
This, I would have tried to run to the back half of the plate but if the throw took you into my path I probably would have just caught you instead of sliding. I don't feel bad about giving myself up on that play since the dumbass at the plate should know better than to hit middle with bases loaded and less than 2 out.

If I slide I'm definitely going to undercut you and it would be worse.

You and who you quoted make very good points :D

If there is no way around making contact between catcher and runner than its hard to blame it on a singular person. On the other hand, the runner should have slid o avoid contact or had people yelling at him to slide to avoid contact. As the OP said that he had a bad throw, so contact was unavoidable with the runner.

chedched

Coach
I'm pretty sure we have a no slide rule at the plate. We have a commit line which makes every play a force.

Last night, opposing catcher backs up into our runner, big collision. Catcher gets up and starts mouthing off about base running. Some guys don't get it.

To answer your question, he doesn't have to. What ever that base runner thinks will get him there safely is the right choice for him.