Derby Boy ASA

snaggs1917

Addicted to Softballfans
I was wondering if there is an issue with Derby Boy durability depending on what ounce you I ordered 2
28oz from the sbf store which have held up great but the 3 27oz I got have either gotten the rattle really bad or the endcap is popping out within the the first 10 to 20 swings on average so I was just wondering if anyone has had something similiar happen did not know if it might be a defect just hate to keep sending bats back any input would be welcome thanks guys.

B-radical

Addicted to Softballfans
Not sure.

One of my 27's you can hear the disk pretty good, it's at around 400 hits. My other 27 hasn't been swung, but my 28oz is at about 200 hits, no disk sounds. FWIW, my 27oz started the disk rattle at about the 200 hit mark so it's hard for me to say

snaggs1917

Addicted to Softballfans
Two of them I pulled the wrapper off before I hit and the cap was.popping out within the first 10 swings in fact the cap on one looked like it was put in way out of center of the bat the third one I got about 30 swings into it and it started to rattle really bad. I just feel bad about sending them back cause this is about the third week in row I am going to be calling them for a return on a bat I just noticed the only ones I have had any problem with has been the 27's the 28's I have hit the hell out of and not one problem.

qhendrix

Addicted to Softballfans
My 27 rattled pretty bad in less than 100 hits but hasn't gotten worse. Has bout 400 on it now. No probs with the endcap so far.

Steve99

Addicted to Softballfans
My 26oz has a real big rattle going on as well. Not sure when it started but it's around 200 - 250 swings on it now and its a pretty big rattle. Not sure if I want to send it in yet becasue it is hitting missles.

islandboy78

Addicted to Softballfans
Broke in a game last week. I would say it had about 600 hits on it though. A couple of guys on my team used it since they liked it. It was sad to see it crack open. Though, it is a lot better than the J3s' we have on our team. None of them are clean anymore; one crack and warranty replacement webbed after 30 hits, the other three have webs. We play in a league that uses the 52 balls.

bimmerpilot

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Broke in a game last week. I would say it had about 600 hits on it though. A couple of guys on my team used it since they liked it. It was sad to see it crack open. Though, it is a lot better than the J3s' we have on our team. None of them are clean anymore; one crack and warranty replacement webbed after 30 hits, the other three have webs. We play in a league that uses the 52 balls.

28oz ?

Mine currently has 200-ish hits on it against both 375 and 300 comp balls. Nothing out of the ordinary here, just traditional webs.

smallfry1974

Addicted to Softballfans
The end cap on my 26oz DBA started to seperate after about 15 swings and was completely out by 30. Webbing started on my 5th hit and I am no masher. Called combat about the endcap and they wanted me to use my return on it. So I asked if I could just put back in with 3m 5200 marine adhesive without voiding my warrenty and he said no problem.

vlcmstnaz

volcom stone az
I was wondering if there is an issue with Derby Boy durability depending on what ounce you I ordered 2
28oz from the sbf store which have held up great but the 3 27oz I got have either gotten the rattle really bad or the endcap is popping out within the the first 10 to 20 swings on average so I was just wondering if anyone has had something similiar happen did not know if it might be a defect just hate to keep sending bats back any input would be welcome thanks guys.

I thought the store was sold out of the ASA DB?

snaggs1917

Addicted to Softballfans
They are I bought these back in Feb-Mar when they still had them in stock I have been waiting for them to get some more.

Buckeye20

Addicted to Softballfans
Teammate has a 27oz around the 50 hit mark the endcap was popping , 300+ hit 28oz. Another teammate has no issues at all except a ridiculous amount of webbing ,

snaggs1917

Addicted to Softballfans
That is similiar to what has been going on with mine in fact one of the 27's I noticed that the end cap was put in the bat way out of center so it looks all ****eyed but the 28 has been a tank so far no rattles just webbed up and is on frickin fire right now so much I have been using it as my gamer over my 1000-2000 hit og av's.

FL Auburn Tiger

Wannabe Masher
I have a 26oz and it came from the SBF store with slight endcap seperation, haven't had any issues with the endcap yet but was hitting some bp this past weekend and either my bat finally came alive or i finally found my swing that has been lost for the last 2 months. i was suddenly launching balls off the LCF fence of a baseball field that is 310 down the lines and 355 in CF (im not a big dude 5'11 175). When i finished i dropped my bat and the dude pitching to me goes "WTF was that noise? Check your bat something just rattled" and sure enough my bat had a god awful rattle.

I was on the verge of getting rid of this bad boy because i felt like i couldn't get a feel for it, the ball flew decent but it never felt right. It probably has 300-400 hits on it now and is all webbed with that rattle and now feels like im hitting golf balls with a damn tennis racket, balls are just flying off this thing. It is now probably the best bat I've ever swung or atleast right there with the og mv1 that was a fire stick. Several guys on my team used to hit with it from time to time but now just me and my buddy will hit it exclusively. I CAN NOW OFFICIALLY SAY THAT I LOVE THIS DAMN BAT!

rlopezjr1977

King EUUUUPPPPP
I have a 26oz that has about 300 swings on it. The bat has about 4-5 cracks in it and the disks are nice and loose because you can feel it when you swing it. The thing is still hitting seeds so just gonna keep swinging it till the sucker breaks all the way.

FL Auburn Tiger

Wannabe Masher
I have a 26oz that has about 300 swings on it. The bat has about 4-5 cracks in it and the disks are nice and loose because you can feel it when you swing it. The thing is still hitting seeds so just gonna keep swinging it till the sucker breaks all the way.

Exactly what I'm gonna do, luckily mine doesnt have any cracks.....yet ....300-400 in and I have finally fallen in love with mine

snaggs1917

Addicted to Softballfans
The 28 is at a whole new level if I had to guess how many swings its got I would say about 150 in our league game I was 5-5 with 4 bombs and blasted one back at the pitcher accidently about crotch level with hot dots in that league I play in another we use 44/375 dudley thunder's and they are rocks can't wait till that league starts. I can honestly say my derby boy is gonna be my gamer the way things are going but I got my og av old reliable which I like to call old blue for backup just in case but once I picked up the derby boy asa I can't put her down I almost feel like I am cheating on my av letting it sit in my bag cause I cant put down the new girl in town..

z00ted 85

Addicted to Softballfans
I LOVE my DB. Straight killing the ball and the sound is beautiful. My brother is scared to swing it cuz he thinks its about to break. Weird thing is I have ZERO webbing or rattle with about 200-225 swings. :confused:

hoopsstar22

Addicted to Softballfans
This is exactly the thread i was looking for...

My end cap popped about 3/4 of the way out after the 3rd swing. I tapped it back in, and it still pops out about 1/8" after every hit.

I have about 80 hits on mine, and the rattle showed up last night. I hit one about 365', and then the rattle was there.

Odd part is I've put tons over the fence in my few BP sessions, yet not a single hit has felt like a rocket yet. not even the big shot last night. Dont get me wrong, some hits have felt good, but nothing like i'm used to feeling on a broke in bat. That is scary.

How do I re-glue the end cap? Any tips there? I cant get my end cap out, and dont want to have any bad prying marks on the bat or cap. I have the 5200 already, just trying to figure out how to apply it.

Also, if i pop off the end cap, can i shake out whatever is rattling in the bat??

ncrdablross

No HR Club
This is exactly the thread i was looking for...
My end cap popped about 3/4 of the way out after the 3rd swing. I tapped it back in, and it still pops out about 1/8" after every hit.
I have about 80 hits on mine, and the rattle showed up last night. I hit one about 365', and then the rattle was there.
Odd part is I've put tons over the fence in my few BP sessions, yet not a single hit has felt like a rocket yet. not even the big shot last night. Dont get me wrong, some hits have felt good, but nothing like i'm used to feeling on a broke in bat. That is scary.
How do I re-glue the end cap? Any tips there? I cant get my end cap out, and dont want to have any bad prying marks on the bat or cap. I have the 5200 already, just trying to figure out how to apply it.
Also, if i pop off the end cap, can i shake out whatever is rattling in the bat??

You should only try and reglue to cap back in after it comes all the way on its own.

hoopsstar22

Addicted to Softballfans
Ok...

So I got another 20 hits in on my DB today... and good lord its finally starting to come alive. I hit one a little over 385 (27 paces from a 309' fence). I am now a believer.

I finally blew the end cap off on my last hit, which i was happy about.

Does anyone see anything funky in any of these pictures? It looks like the end of my bat barrel is a little mushroomed out. I snapped a picture of some fraying, or paint peeling that is happening.

Also, that little metal disk inside the bat is loose, and rattles like hell. how do i tighten that down?? should i drop a little 5200 onto the disk to try and lock it to the little bolt thats down there?? Any suggestions?

I saw that other thread that said sand down the end cap and the inside of the bat barrel, then just apply the glue and let sit. Anything else i should be careful of?

Thanks for the help.

IMG_02561.jpg

IMG_02571.jpg

IMG_02581.jpg

IMG_02591.jpg

96packers

OG Titletown
So that's what they look like. interesting

Pretty sure the disc has to remain loose to do it's job. Helps with the barrel strength.
Ok...

So I got another 20 hits in on my DB today... and good lord its finally starting to come alive. I hit one a little over 385 (27 paces from a 309' fence). I am now a believer.

I finally blew the end cap off on my last hit, which i was happy about.

Does anyone see anything funky in any of these pictures? It looks like the end of my bat barrel is a little mushroomed out. I snapped a picture of some fraying, or paint peeling that is happening.

Also, that little metal disk inside the bat is loose, and rattles like hell. how do i tighten that down?? should i drop a little 5200 onto the disk to try and lock it to the little bolt thats down there?? Any suggestions?

I saw that other thread that said sand down the end cap and the inside of the bat barrel, then just apply the glue and let sit. Anything else i should be careful of?

Thanks for the help.

IMG_02581.jpg

-Six-

Weiner
my endcap came out of my 28oz in about 100 hits. just glued it in and am about to go hit this afternoon. Hope its fixed.

z00ted 85

Addicted to Softballfans
I LOVE my DB. Straight killing the ball and the sound is beautiful. My brother is scared to swing it cuz he thinks its about to break. Weird thing is I have ZERO webbing or rattle with about 200-225 swings. :confused:

Update: Bat is absolutely spitting fire after another 50 hits or so and still ZERO webbing or rattle. I guess I swing like a ***** :eek:. But I'll take it with results like this :D.