DHH hitter

AmishFusion

Addicted to Softballfans
This weekedn is our first gsl tournament and just wondering where everyone usually puts there DHH in the lineup. The guy we are using was all conference this past season and plays B ball. We are a c team. Just looking for a little input... Thanks

Mooselodge24

Slinging Nova Bombs
Last year when I played GSL, I was the hitter and they put me 2nd. I had no issues going up there to take a walk b/c the next few guys could hit it out also. plus if you have a consistent leadoff hitter, doesn't hurt to throw up a quick 2 spot

BennyB

Addicted to Softballfans
we have been using ours in the 3 spot, but have seen everything from 1 thru 6 used. mostly 2-4 though. if you are a C team, I would think your 2 hitter isn't hitting into many double plays so more than likely you will have atleast one of the first two batters on base if not both when the 3 hitter comes up. I would go with the 3 spot if you are confident in your 1+2. we are an E team though so what do I know....

1 or 2. Want get him the most at bats as possible. Even if he is hitting solos they aren't counting agaisnt you. Only helping.

scottydoesnt

Extra Hitter
1 or 2. Want get him the most at bats as possible. Even if he is hitting solos they aren't counting agaisnt you. Only helping.
This. I was the hitter last weekend, and batted leadoff. Took 2 walks, and hit 3 homers in 3 games. Not terrible considering it was like 25* outside.

FAT JESUS

More than likely
We play ours 2nd, he went 20-23 with 11 HR's this past Saturday, we scored 121 in 5 games, with one stinker after a 4 hour wait bringing down that total; 64 in our first two. Its been working for us to say the least. Most teams we saw played them up there, they need to hit, and hit often.

TRaj2327

We play ours 2nd, he went 20-23 with 11 HR's this past Saturday, we scored 121 in 5 games, with one stinker after a 4 hour wait bringing down that total; 64 in our first two. Its been working for us to say the least. Most teams we saw played them up there, they need to hit, and hit often.

Nobody cares what you do. Beat it geek. ;)

gti44

Addicted to Softballfans
Lead off. and Bat the real leadoff hitter 2nd and start the lineup from there. DHH will lead off with a solo and have RBI chances every other AB. Brings the chances of more ABs and means more runs. BUT the DHH has to come through with bombs.

tmett57

Coach
With my team it's our 3 hitter which is me. Through a whole tournament your top three havd c basically the same amount of at bats I just prefer hitting with people on rather than leadoff a game with a solo. I have a harder time hitting solos just a mental block I guess.

Raiderfan81

4theFallen Fanatic
This strategy topic has me going mad....

My "D" team has played 50+ games with these rules with the DHH everywhere from 1-6 as well. The only conclusion Ive come to is that he needs to be top 3 (must bat in the 1st inning) and he absolutely has to be able to hit 2+ homers a game (whether he actually does it or not).

Lead off is fine but if we have a .800 hitter bat leadoff and the DHH 2nd that seems to produce the best offensive games for us.
If you have 2 guys with insanely high averages 3rd works too.

Buuuuuuuuuuut I need someone to tell me if im wrong here with some things:
A. I believe that there are only 3 ways to succeed as DHH..... a little based upon game situation.
1. Hit a homer
2. Take a walk (especially if the rest of the lineup can cash in on the freebie)
Distant 3. Dont make an out during your ab (but you need to eventually score)
Everything else is a fail and the DHH has to be the best hitter on your team bar none and failing more than once a game wont cut it. A simple 2 out hit in which you dont score doesnt help and depending on the score and homer totals sometimes a walk can be more beneficial than a homer.

jbo911

Super Moderator
Staff member
A dhh can't make an out if you have other power hitters that wouldn't but if he gets a hit and doesn't score that's on the team.

TWmccoy

3DX Connoisseur
This strategy topic has me going mad....

My "D" team has played 50+ games with these rules with the DHH everywhere from 1-6 as well. The only conclusion Ive come to is that he needs to be top 3 (must bat in the 1st inning) and he absolutely has to be able to hit 2+ homers a game (whether he actually does it or not).

Lead off is fine but if we have a .800 hitter bat leadoff and the DHH 2nd that seems to produce the best offensive games for us.
If you have 2 guys with insanely high averages 3rd works too.

Buuuuuuuuuuut I need someone to tell me if im wrong here with some things:
A. I believe that there are only 3 ways to succeed as DHH..... a little based upon game situation.
1. Hit a homer
2. Take a walk (especially if the rest of the lineup can cash in on the freebie)
Distant 3. Dont make an out during your ab (but you need to eventually score)
Everything else is a fail and the DHH has to be the best hitter on your team bar none and failing more than once a game wont cut it. A simple 2 out hit in which you dont score doesnt help and depending on the score and homer totals sometimes a walk can be more beneficial than a homer.

This is all 100% correct. As a DHH you simply can't make outs or get left on base. In GSL coed taking a walk is the second best thing to hitting a HR. You get a freebie HR and another guy coming up with ducks on the pond.

I've had days being DHH where I hit unreal, and other days when I just couldn't really make things happen. It's not always easy to go up there and bang a HR every AB.

Generally no one will homer every AB of a tourny, but as DHH you have to focus on getting a good pitch and not overswing. Some guys get in that role and get too jittery and end up hitting worse than they usually would. And I agree you have to bat top 3 in the order. You want that guy to get as many ABs as possible in a game, and he must bat in the 1st inning. Sometimes even a 2 out solo can make a difference.