Did I get this right?

Softball.com:

NCASAUmp

Un-Retired
Did nobody read the entire play. There was plays being made on other bases. There was a run down. Did you or would you stop the rundown play? If you can read and quote a rule book, read the entire entry. How do any of you proclaim dead ball while ball was in motion? What you going to do, weir on the appeal, then say, "players assume your positions continue run down" . If
any of you called dead ball...then you called it too soon. DELAYED DEAD BALL IF THERE SHOULD HAVE BEEN A DEAD BALL,!

Jab, what is causing the delayed dead ball? What infraction has occurred, and who committed it?

JabNblue

Did you miss the bolded part below?
I went by what that one umpire said it would be a dead ball. If I see a play, as I wasn't at this game during this particularly play, knowing a dead ball call is going to happen, it's a arm out gesture. I wasn't flying an airplane with one wing. If there was going to be a dead ball call but actions in the field was werte delaying the call. The will stand by my post. You all take out sections and nitpick or dissect it leaving out other comments. Read your rule books on delayed dead ball calls... many, many things could happen to warrant the call.

beernbombs

Abby's dad
I went by what that one umpire said it would be a dead ball. If I see a play, as I wasn't at this game during this particularly play, knowing a dead ball call is going to happen, it's a arm out gesture. I wasn't flying an airplane with one wing. If there was going to be a dead ball call but actions in the field was werte delaying the call. The will stand by my post. You all take out sections and nitpick or dissect it leaving out other comments. Read your rule books on delayed dead ball calls... many, many things could happen to warrant the call.

If the offense does something that MAY result in a dead ball appeal, you don't signal a DDB. You're just plain wrong on this. Stop.

Sully

Wanna buy jerseys/rings?
And the play described doesn't result in a dead ball.
Yea I read that later myself. Actually I would be holding my left arm out if I saw the runner leave early if like in this case other things were still going on. So it would be a delayed dead bell until time has been called and an appeal was made before the next pitch.

This part is not nitpicking, it's what you said on the first page. It's absolutely wrong. That's the point. Nothing to do with dead balls, you said you would signal DDB if you saw the runner leave early because other things were going on. You DO NOT signal DDB regardless of what else is going on because a runner left a base early and didn't tag properly. I'm pretty sure from other discussions you won't admit that is wrong and you will keep trying to justify doing something that is flat out wrong according to the rules.

Let me ask you this then. Ignoring the dead ball comment someone supposedly said as the basis of your argument. If you see a runner leave a base early and another runner is caught in a rundown, do you signal DDB?

JabNblue

I
If the offense does something that MAY result in a dead ball appeal, you don't signal a DDB. You're just plain wrong on this. Stop.
if you had read ALL the post it was my implication. I was not the ump in the game. We go by what we read from players and umpires on here. Instant calls during a game and sitting idle with rule book is totally different.. we are taught obviously by a different standard and group, I imagine you have never missed a call. We use a one man system, so hustle and immediate thoughts run thru a mind. Guess I'll practice more at my second invite to the nationals.

beernbombs

Abby's dad
I

if you had read ALL the post it was my implication. I was not the ump in the game. We go by what we read from players and umpires on here. Instant calls during a game and sitting idle with rule book is totally different.. we are taught obviously by a different standard and group, I imagine you have never missed a call. We use a one man system, so hustle and immediate thoughts run thru a mind. Guess I'll practice more at my second invite to the nationals.

Congratulations on your invite to Nationals.

I read all of the posts. The only mention of a dead ball call was corrected when the OP clarified that there was a runner on 1st at the start of the play. You were the only one that mentioned a delayed dead ball .

NCASAUmp

Un-Retired
Jab, congrats on your second National. I do commend that.

But that doesn't mean you're right about a DDB call. There is absolutely no infraction whatsoever that can be committed by the offense that would result in a DDB call. Not one, not ever. Period.

Please read rule 8-7-F and the effect that follows, and see if it mentions a delayed dead ball anywhere.

Sully

Wanna buy jerseys/rings?
I

It wasn't just an implication. You screwed up the rule application. It happens to everyone. It's not that he hasn't missed call, it's probably more that he admits when someone shows him in the rule book he was wrong, learns and moves on. You on the other hand, tried to make it one of those You Had To Be There situations. Signaling DDB on a runner leaving early isn't a had to be there, it's wrong. Admit it, learn, and move on. The other option is you continue to make excuses for using a wrong mechanic at the wrong time and lose credibility.

JabNblue

It wasn't just an implication. You screwed up the rule application. It happens to everyone. It's not that he hasn't missed call, it's probably more that he admits when someone shows him in the rule book he was wrong, learns and moves on. You on the other hand, tried to make it one of those You Had To Be There situations. Signaling DDB on a runner leaving early isn't a had to be there, it's wrong. Admit it, learn, and move on. The other option is you continue to make excuses for using a wrong mechanic at the wrong time and lose credibility.
And what authority assigned it to you? Do you still actually call games? This forum ask the umpire, I love it when.answers are given sitting on the couch reading your rule book. I make mistakes and learn EVERY game. I'll never as I hope to do this for many years. Learning each time. One thing I've seen and very much laugh at is old codgers that's been around forever, not actually calling giving directions and advice. They always have to be negative. You all make comments saying how we made a call saying we missed it. And 30 other active, hustling umps all agree they made right call.

irishmafia

Addicted to Softballfans
And what authority assigned it to you? Do you still actually call games? This forum ask the umpire, I love it when.answers are given sitting on the couch reading your rule book. I make mistakes and learn EVERY game. I'll never as I hope to do this for many years. Learning each time. One thing I've seen and very much laugh at is old codgers that's been around forever, not actually calling giving directions and advice. They always have to be negative. You all make comments saying how we made a call saying we missed it. And 30 other active, hustling umps all agree they made right call.

The negative is only a response to your actions and attempted defense of obviously incorrect mechanics and/or statements.

JabNblue

The negative is only a response to your actions and attempted defense of obviously incorrect mechanics and/or statements.
For some reason nobody read all the post, if an umpire had made a dead ball declaration , in the case under study or any with plays still going on in the field it should be a dead ball mechanic. My original call was nothing of the sort. Just to correct the ones who don't read ALL inserted opinions.

irishmafia

Addicted to Softballfans
For some reason nobody read all the post, if an umpire had made a dead ball declaration , in the case under study or any with plays still going on in the field it should be a dead ball mechanic. My original call was nothing of the sort. Just to correct the ones who don't read ALL inserted opinions.

You clearly noted a DDB signal and that simply is not correct.

NCASAUmp

Un-Retired
Jab, once more, there is absolutely no infraction that the offense can commit in USA Softball that would ever result in a delayed dead ball.

Not a single one. Not ever.

Please re-read the rule regarding a runner leaving early, and see if you can find where it says anything about a delayed dead ball. You won't find it.

Sully

Wanna buy jerseys/rings?

The only mention I see of a dead ball was when Bretman thought the runner was continuing to run after being thrown out. He also said he had interference which is a dead ball. You asked for clarification, they clarified the OP said there was a runner on first, then you said you would signal a DDB to warn the other team the runner on second left early. Even if someone mentioned a Dead Ball, it's just that a dead ball. That's not in any way, shape, or form the same thing as a DDB that allows the play to continue. If someone said Dead Ball in their scenario, explain how you had a DDB instead? A dead ball is exactly that the ball is dead, the play is dead. What scenario would someone declare a dead ball and you signal a DDB and allow the play to continue anyway?

I'm pretty stubborn too, but if NCASA, Irish and Bret all read your post and said they read it the same way and you were wrong, you were wrong. That's like 60+ years of umpiring, a good amount of that at high level ball. I challenge you to show me where any reference says to signal DDB when it's supposed to be a dead ball, or where it says to signal a DDB when a runner leaves the base early.