Dislocated thumb

hitsone

I was pitching in a senior tourney when some 77 yr old hit a pissle back at me out of the shadows. Off my glove into my right thumb, moving it to the back of my hand. ER over $5000. (sending receipts in for reimbursement I hope).
Custom brace comes off after 6 weeks next Apr 1.
So can anyone suggest some rehab procedures?
Any guesses at how long before I can get back pitching?

Drumbum37

Addicted to Softballfans
1, 2, 3, 4, I declare a thumb war! Westcoast nailed it. Get hooked up with some OT when the time comes. Putty, rubber web flexion/extention, foam block stuff. Hope recovery goes well aaaand patience!!

hitsone

It is my intention to follow doctor's orders. I want to get the whole season in not just a quick appearance and then back in a brace.
first practice is next sunday. Thinking I'll be there to support the team, not planning to do much till I get dr's OK.
Thanks for the input guys.

jbo911

Super Moderator
Staff member
My pt was in an ot office and they had a cool dry whirlpool thing. He let me put my hand in it once.

moren025

Addicted to Softballfans
Do find a good therapist! Dealing with a similar issue for two years now which is going to require surgery (sad to say). Don't rush getting back, that set me back.

hitsone

Do find a good therapist! Dealing with a similar issue for two years now which is going to require surgery (sad to say). Don't rush getting back, that set me back.

Went to practice, watched the guys, it was hard not to try a few hits. I'll just have to wait till my family Dr comes back to refer me. His relief does not want to start something my regular may not want to fallow.
Thanks for your history. I do not want to miss 2 years. At 71 that might be a career ender.

chucky02

Not a thumb but I had to deal with dislocated fingers in the past, and I can tell you that during the healing period, make sure you put a good brace on it and try to keep it straight all the time. It pops out again rather easily if you are not careful. I don't know why, but I kept dislocating my fingers during my softball years.