Distal Bicep Surgery

spectech

Addicted to Softballfans
I'm 1 week post op from my Distal Bicep Surgery anybody on Here have this done? Curious on how long took to get back to swinging a bat again?

I ruptured by bicep tendon in front of my elbow it was a complete tear I did this by playing left field ball was hit into gap and had my arm fully extended when ball hit me in glove and it popped. took 2.5 weeks to get everything done for my surgery. At least it didn't happen in my dominant arm is only good thing.

Playr4

Coach
Your surgery is over. You are on your way to recovery. Although the actual surgical procedure is a critical part of your successful recovery, the postoperative course is as important if not even more important. The tissue that is repaired takes about 3 months to heal. If you do too much, too little or the wrong activities before then, you can jeopardize your outcome.

There are two ways that you can ruin your surgery. One is by having an abrupt injury - So be very careful throughout your day and wear your brace as instructed. The other is by performing too many frequent small activities with your elbow. Just as bending a paperclip once isn’t enough to break the clip but repeatedly bending it causes it to snap - Moving your elbow too much or too often can break the sutures holding the repair together or may cause the sutures to tear through the repaired tissue. So in order to limit your activity in the early critical period, wear your brace full-time and follow the specific brace instructions that have been recommended by your physician and physical therapy.

Everyone is different. Youve probably have heard the cliche. As we get older, healing and recovery takes longer. Like every other tendon in your body (achilles, patellar, elbow are the most common). I would say 6 t0 9 months.

Good luck on a successful recovery.

spectech

Addicted to Softballfans
Thank you for reply!!
I'm now on week 3 my 1st Dr. visit was last week and he didn't want me in sling anymore and wanted me to let arm hang so gravity would straighten my arm. My Dr. seems pretty aggressive towards the rehab which I start PT this week and says he trusts his work so we will see. I only have pain every now and then but arm is real stiff, I guess the PT will fix that.

spectech

Addicted to Softballfans
Just a follow up it will be 5mo. post opp. in less then a week. I have been playing full time since the 4mo mark. "My doctor gave me then green light" In the beginning arm was real weak and was hard to hold onto bat and no strength catching ball in glove but every week is better and better. Just a FYI for anyone out there that may stumble across this. I'm back to playing 4 times per week and 8 if tourney happening on weekend with no complications.

RokRaider826

Ex Softball Who-re
I'm 1 week post op from my Distal Bicep Surgery anybody on Here have this done? Curious on how long took to get back to swinging a bat again?

I ruptured by bicep tendon in front of my elbow it was a complete tear I did this by playing left field ball was hit into gap and had my arm fully extended when ball hit me in glove and it popped. took 2.5 weeks to get everything done for my surgery. At least it didn't happen in my dominant arm is only good thing.
Before you had your surgery what was some of the symptoms/pains you had that let you know you tore something? I think I might have done the something but I don’t think I tore mines. I think I did mines fielding a ground ball in the OF. I don’t have pain in it like I did but I really can’t make a muscle in my left arm.

spectech

Addicted to Softballfans
Before you had your surgery what was some of the symptoms/pains you had that let you know you tore something? I think I might have done the something but I don’t think I tore mines. I think I did mines fielding a ground ball in the OF. I don’t have pain in it like I did but I really can’t make a muscle in my left arm.
Mine was a quick sharp pain and numbed my whole arm when it happened by the time I got to infield my arm was so swollen and knew something bad happened. My bicep was visibly higher in my arm MRI just proved it and they scheduled surgery right away. You have a small window to get fixed or tendon starts to harden up.