DL 345lbs 1 rep

chacha15

rec chip
6hrg2b.jpg

Fro Joe

Snowden is a hero.
If you never plan on lifting in a competition that doesn't allow straps I'd suggest you to finish your dead lifts with straps instead of going to over/under grip. Then just work on grip strength. You risk a bicep tear in the "under" arm. When you have "shortened biceps(arm don't hang straight when relaxed)" you're probably at a greater risk than someone without this issue.

chacha15

rec chip
Thanks for pointing that out. I totally overlook that type of stuff cause i'm being more concerned with my lower back and hamstrings and foot position. I give the overgrip with both hands a go next time.

Fro Joe

Snowden is a hero.
Thanks for pointing that out. I totally overlook that type of stuff cause i'm being more concerned with my lower back and hamstrings and foot position. I give the overgrip with both hands a go next time.

No problem. It's one of my favorite lifts. If you continue to work on your form and hammer accessory lifts(pull throughs, good mornings, glute/ham machine, romanians, rows, etc) you'll see great progress. Good luck.

GrandCherokee

Addicted to Softballfans
It took me a while to commit to going double over instead of over/under because I was afraid of what it would do to my lift. It didn't take me long to get use to it and "catch" up to where I was with under/over. I changed for the reason Fro said and for me the over/under isn't worth the risk. I am not an elite powerlifter though and that also is not one of my goals.

LngBallLvr

Addicted to Softballfans
You should practice more with lighter weight until you get the form down before you go heavy like that. Your head actually stops going up in the beginning but your butt continues to rise. You may just need practice but I would not risk back injury.

gianacakos

Addicted to Softballfans
So.....The only real problem I see is your mental approach off of the ground. I know psychologically it is normal to think about "ripping" a weight off the ground, but this is not effective with this and many other lifts. You need to focus on getting set, having your arms fully extended, and lifting from a "locked in" position. What I mean by "locked in" is this: your muscles, all of them, ought to be as engaged as possible prior to the beginning of the lift. This means your posterior chain, your quads, your back, and your arms as much as possible. The deadlift should be a slow controlled motion. This is true for two reasons in my opinion. The first is safety. "Ripping" a maximum effort weight off of the ground while not engaged allows relaxed muscle structure to placed under immense stress trying to get engaged fast. This is where back injuries happen. Second is the concept of rate of force development. If you using a ripping philosophy you will never truly develop maximum force on the lift. With a well controlled motion you will develop peak force around your knees and continue it up throughout the lift, thus vastly increasing your ability to lift heavy. Ripping like this puts your maximum force very close to the ground.

Also, I disagree with practicing more with lower weights. When you get heavy, some form will disappear....especially when heavy is new. Your CNS will take time to adjust to heavy weights and eventually everything will fire appropriately and your form will degrade very little.

chacha15

rec chip
Thank you for the incite, much appreciated. It seems like I rush through the lift. I normally take a longer time and do prepare myself mentally. Since I was recording it to a video I tied to rush through it. not a smart move but it was all spur of the moment and wanted to see how my form looked. My question is am I supposed to lift with the legs and straighten up the back simultaneously or one after another? I saw a chick lift with her legs and then her back and I tried to correct her but she said that was a variation of the deadlift. a few days later her friend tells me she had an injury.

gianacakos

Addicted to Softballfans
All at once is perfect form. Takes a while for your synapses to work that way though, and it will likely NEVER happen at maximum effort. As long as your lumbar spine is neutral and tight you're fine (99% of the time).

gianacakos

Addicted to Softballfans
Her breasts are amazing...don't see a lady lifting that heavy looking that feminine very often. Notice how tight she is when she begins the lift?

chacha15

rec chip
Her breasts are amazing...don't see a lady lifting that heavy looking that feminine very often. Notice how tight she is when she begins the lift?

Her technique is great, as experienced as she is. she has her coach telling her what to do in the background.

T.Heck

Your favorite Cubs fan
Nice muscle shirt, Did it come from old navy......
In the queer department?

JK You are a little bigger then I thought you would be.... way to go.

lOOkatme

Addicted to Softballfans
Her technique is great, as experienced as she is. she has her coach telling her what to do in the background.

Her technique is ok, but could get better.

She could be further back and pull the weight into her body. she basically go straight up.

Her head when she pulls is not correct. you want a neutral head position for a neutral spine, and drive your chin into your body at the top. She could lift more weight.

Check out the video below of a guy critiqueing other peoples lifts and also professionals.

Last edited by a moderator:

T.Heck

Your favorite Cubs fan
Lol, I wear my holiday gifts at the gym sometimes. Dont know where but I'm at 196 right now.

How long have you been lifting..... I was going good for a couple months until my buddy popped a hernia. Heading back to gym tomorrow. If I didnt quit Id be four months in damn it.

Sure feels good when you do go and get a good workout in.

TERMINATOR

Addicted to Softballfans
The odds of popping a bicep using an alternate grip on DL's is minimal (unless you're an elite powerlifter lifting **** loads of weight). For the average Joe, I wouldn't worry about it.

I only use a double overhand grip if I'm doing clean style DL's. Which isn't very often.

GrandCherokee

Addicted to Softballfans
The odds of popping a bicep using an alternate grip on DL's is minimal (unless you're an elite powerlifter lifting **** loads of weight). For the average Joe, I wouldn't worry about it.

I only use a double overhand grip if I'm doing clean style DL's. Which isn't very often.

While I don't totally disagree with you I will say that is quite easy/common for many "average" deadlifters to not have their arms in a healthy starting position. I am a fan of lifting safely but each lifter has to determine what that means to them.

Fro Joe

Snowden is a hero.

I agree that it's minimal, but what actual benefit does he gain from using over/under instead of over/over and possibly finishing with straps? He's not planning on competing in a competition. Over/under is no different from straps. It's a grip enhancer. However small the risk is it's still not worth it to me.

chacha15

rec chip
How long have you been lifting..... I was going good for a couple months until my buddy popped a hernia. Heading back to gym tomorrow. If I didnt quit Id be four months in damn it.

Sure feels good when you do go and get a good workout in.

I started lifting at the YMHA when I was a teenager. I was around 16. I`ll be 42 in July. Between then and now I 've been hitting the gym consistently since April. My strength gains are decent. Diet and sleep dedication is another story.

Fro Joe

Snowden is a hero.
I started lifting at the YMHA when I was a teenager. I was around 16. I`ll be 42 in July. Between then and now I 've been hitting the gym consistently since April. My strength gains are decent. Diet and sleep dedication is another story.

You don't look 41.

T.Heck

Your favorite Cubs fan

Good deal.... heck looks like your in good shape. Keep it up

lOOkatme

Addicted to Softballfans
I agree that it's minimal, but what actual benefit does he gain from using over/under instead of over/over and possibly finishing with straps? He's not planning on competing in a competition. Over/under is no different from straps. It's a grip enhancer. However small the risk is it's still not worth it to me.

I agree here. I only do double overhand to prevent bicep injuries, but really to keep the body straight and not torque to one side.