Does anyone know what's in this endcap?

MMartian72

Addicted to Softballfans
Hello, I was pitching in our playoffs last week when this batter came up with a silver Demarini Evo. I had watched him take BP before the game and he was launching some monster bombs with it but I didn't think much of it because he looked like he had a real good swing and his pitcher was throwing to him flat.

For this at-bat he connected with my pitch and the top half of his bat came flying off and went over the head of my SS. Fortunately he was down catching the liner so he didn't get hit. We all laughed about it and he was out so everything got tossed to the side and ignored until the game ended.

Afterwards I looked at the endcap and noticed that there was a sticky rubber like substance filling the cap about 2"-3". I poked it wiht a pen and it went in, so it wasn't solid. I took a picture inside the cap and the cap itself. The body of the bat was put away. I approached the the umpire and the captain of the other team and said I didn't think the bat was kosher. Neither knew what the substance inside was and when I wanted to keep the head of the bat I had to return it to the opposing captain as it was his brother's bat.

I thought the silver Demarini Evo was a balanced bat so after seeing the inside I thought maybe it was shaved and endloaded. What do you guys think?

Please educate me!

Thanks for your time.

bat3-1.jpg

bat4JPG.jpg

Last edited:

bigsur10

snaggin blanket anyone?!?
i owned one of them back when they first came out and personally i think they are too fragile of a bat to shave. Great bats while they lasted but they never lasted all that long. You never know though.....

ilyk2win

Addicted to Softballfans
Is this a trick question? You are asking about an endcap but you show a picture of the broken end of a bat.

Unfortunately the smartass answer of "grass" is about as acucrate of a response as you deserve.

SmokeDK42

Addicted to Softballfans
I dont see anything on the inside of that bat that would lead me to think it was shaved...

DBO20

Addicted to Softballfans
If it is shaved, you can see the lines from the lathe in the composite.

rkjunior

Laser show, RELAX.
The Evos are awesome bats and get silly hot before they break. I would post this in the DerMarini forum. There's definitely an epoxy-type substance in that endcap.. Maybe the endcap was fixed?

Artie

basic famous
I've seen a couple evo's where the cap has just popped off. as rkjunior said, maybe it is just an epoxy to keep it on

CB3

The Veteran
For the bat to break clean in half like that he would have had to keep hitting it after it was broken... Bats dont just break in half like that on one swing.

softballz

Cleanup Hitter
Is this a trick question? You are asking about an endcap but you show a picture of the broken end of a bat.

Unfortunately the smartass answer of "grass" is about as acucrate of a response as you deserve.

think he means inside of endcap

vipvanilla

Addicted to Softballfans
For the bat to break clean in half like that he would have had to keep hitting it after it was broken... Bats dont just break in half like that on one swing.

It had to have been cracked before hand. I agree

nam2212

Dr. Nick

Not true. I used to test bats for Demarini years back at their facility in Humboldt, TN. That Evo was one that we tested. A teammate bought one to swing at a state tourney. It lasted about 6 swings before it broke in half just like that.

bgw223

Addicted to Softballfans
I had a combat jasxon kendrick supremacey, it broke while under warranty so i sent it back and got a 30 oz balance. It broke on me to and it had the same stuff in the endcap I think it was some sort appoxy. zi dug it all out and found 1 large washer and three 3/8 nuts in the end cap. Apparently thats how they get the different weights 26 to 30 oz by adding weight to each end of the bat, but it still balanced. That was straight from combat so I am 100% sure it wasnnt altered.

JoeG3

Doesnt matter, had sex
My silver evo has some shark teeth starting up on one side. I just turn it over and keep hitting it.

jake.herring

Pull Hitter
that's weight added to the bat, doesn't necessarily mean it's endloaded. i had my endcap on my j2 fse come flying off one day during bp and it had the exact same stuff in it and it wasn't endloaded.

mariniman

I Will Threaten To Hit U
all DeMarini bats look like that. The cap is filled with a polyurethane adhesive to seal in the endcap and to a degree add endweight although most DeMarini bats are actually taper weighted rather than a true endcap load. I have broken many a DeMarini and they all have that same exact almost molded in look to them.