ASA Does the run count

spartanmikek

Addicted to Softballfans
I have a question sirs about a play that occured in our game. Runners on 1st and 3rd with one out and the batter hits a fly ball to right center field. The runner on first takes off thinking it will drop and the runner on 3b tags up the RF catches the ball on the fly and throws to first to force out the runner before he can return to the base but the runner on 3b who tagged crossed the plate before the force out was made. The run counted in our game and I'm pretty sure this is the correct call but I just wanted to make sure as players for the team we were playing were arging the call. Thank u sirs.

LuckyMatthews

#SelfProclaimedEastonGuru
Run scores before the 3rd non forced out, you are GTG. However, not tagging is a force back to 1st, so the run probably shouldn't have counted. I'm not 100% sure though. I guess we will wait for an ump haha.

spartanmikek

Addicted to Softballfans
Run scores before the 3rd non forced out, you are GTG. However, not tagging is a force back to 1st, so the run probably shouldn't have counted. I'm not 100% sure though. I guess we will wait for an ump haha.

Ya thats the one part that made me ask since technically it was a "force out" normally the run would not count but is the definition of a "force out" a play where a bag can be touched for an out our is it a play where a player is "forced" to run. Lol, like u said we got to wait for one of the umps to answer

Gulf Coast Blue

Addicted to Softballfans

It is not a force out when the defense appeals a runner leaving to soon. All forces are removed on the catch of the ball.

The run counts.

Joel

thedodger22

Addicted to Softballfans
Hmmmmm...I would've guessed that the run does NOT count since both outs were recorded as part of the same play.

Had the ball been caught and the runner from 1st been thrown out at 2b trying to advance, obviously run from 3rd scores if they cross plate first.

Interested to hear final word on this one...

NCASAUmp

Un-Retired
Hmmmmm...I would've guessed that the run does NOT count since both outs were recorded as part of the same play.

Had the ball been caught and the runner from 1st been thrown out at 2b trying to advance, obviously run from 3rd scores if they cross plate first.

You've already heard it.

As long as the appeal for the third out was AFTER the runner had crossed the plate, the run scores.

This is not a force out. Never has been, never will be.

Gulf Coast Blue

Addicted to Softballfans

I already gave it.........:rolleyes:

Please read ASA RS #1 Appeals.

Joel

irishmafia

Addicted to Softballfans
You've already heard it.

As long as the appeal for the third out was AFTER the runner had crossed the plate, the run scores.

This is not a force out. Never has been, never will be.

Sometimes you have to wonder about the level of reading comprehension.:eek:

Cal50

Addicted to Softballfans
I have a question sirs about a play that occured in our game. Runners on 1st and 3rd with one out and the batter hits a fly ball to right center field. The runner on first takes off thinking it will drop and the runner on 3b tags up the RF catches the ball on the fly and throws to first to force out the runner before he can return to the base but the runner on 3b who tagged crossed the plate before the force out was made. The run counted in our game and I'm pretty sure this is the correct call but I just wanted to make sure as players for the team we were playing were arging the call. Thank u sirs.

The only way the run would not count is if they then appeal the runner at third and he left early too. The 4 th recorded out of the inning.

NCASAUmp

Un-Retired
What kind of work in IT?

Kind of a jack-of-all-trades. One minute, I'm changing toner cartridges. Next minute, I'm working on writing a new timesheet webapp. Next minute, I'm scripting automated apache reboots while working on firewall rules.

So everything from helpdesk to programming to sysadmin to network admin to building security access and so on. There's very little they don't have me do.

So maybe that's why softball rules make sense to me. It's a logical progression from points A to B.

Hebrew Hacker

Derby Jew
Kind of a jack-of-all-trades. One minute, I'm changing toner cartridges. Next minute, I'm working on writing a new timesheet webapp. Next minute, I'm scripting automated apache reboots while working on firewall rules.

So everything from helpdesk to programming to sysadmin to network admin to building security access and so on. There's very little they don't have me do.

So maybe that's why softball rules make sense to me. It's a logical progression from points A to B.

Ha, I work with guys like you all day (I'm at CDW). I got away from helpdesk support and database development 10 years ago...users just kept pissing me off. Being on the sales end is a whole different animal, but now I get to have fun putting together solutions for all areas of IT.

NCASAUmp

Un-Retired
Ha, I work with guys like you all day (I'm at CDW). I got away from helpdesk support and database development 10 years ago...users just kept pissing me off. Being on the sales end is a whole different animal, but now I get to have fun putting together solutions for all areas of IT.

It'd be funny if you were our account rep. Because, you know... There are so few at CDW, after all... :D

My job would be 100 times easier without the users. I enjoy the webapp programming portion of my job. It allows me to be both creative and logical at the same time, and it solves problems on (hopefully) a much broader scale. For example, our company's president has to sign off on all purchases greater than $1,000, but he's almost never around. I got tired of waiting for him to come back to the office when we need $2,000 in new toner cartridges, so I wrote a web-based purchase order system.

It's funny what I can accomplish when I either get lazy or pissed off.