ASA Double hit (or a carry in raquetball)

AMDiscJockey

Addicted to Softballfans
Umping last night. Runner on first. Nobody out (maybe 1). Runner on 1st.

Batter swings and I distinctly hear the ball hit the twice in QUICK succession. Playing racquetball it sounds VERY much like a carry where it hits low and then high.

Punches it through the ride side for a weak hit.

Wasn't sure what to call... Dead ball? Strike? Out?

Asked a certified slow/fast pitch ump on another diamond after the game and he's never had that happen in 30 years....

Wanna know for next time.

AMDiscJockey

Addicted to Softballfans
Happened so fast I didn't SEE it hit twice, but my ears don't deceive me. It hit the bat twice, quickly.

Guy dug up the rule book and looks like a foul ball given the circumstances and where he was in the box.

NCASAUmp

Un-Retired
If it distinctly hits the bat twice like that, then it's a foul ball.

Of course, the umpire looks like a world-class jackass for calling a foul ball on a hit up the middle.

AMDiscJockey

Addicted to Softballfans
Good thing is I've been playing ball with most of these clowns for the last 15 years....so hopefully I won't get questioned too hard on it. At least I have a rule to cite.

Thanks for the help!

BretMan

Addicted to Softballfans
Technically, this is a foul ball (assuming that the second contact was unintentional and the batter was still in the batter's box).

Practically, unless this is blatantly obvious I probably wouldn't call it. You heard a funny sound, but did you physically see the bat hit the ball twice? Kind of hard to call something you couldn't even see happen.

NCASAUmp

Un-Retired
Technically, this is a foul ball (assuming that the second contact was unintentional and the batter was still in the batter's box).

Practically, unless this is blatantly obvious I probably wouldn't call it. You heard a funny sound, but did you physically see the bat hit the ball twice? Kind of hard to call something you couldn't even see happen.

I sort of disagree. If I can perceive the call with either of my two senses involved (sight and hearing), then that's the call I make. How often do you make calls based on the "thwack" of the glove coming before the "thump" of the foot on the base? You may not have seen the ball beat the runner, but you've allowed other information to be taken into consideration. Why should this be any different?

If I clearly hear two distinct, separate hits, then it should be a foul ball. We don't know where the ball would have ended up had the second hit not occurred, so we shouldn't ignore it hitting the bat twice.

eddieq

The Great and Powerful Q
Of course, the umpire looks like a world-class jackass for calling a foul ball on a hit up the middle.

True words. :biggthumpup:

At the Special Olympics a few weeks ago, I was on the plate and a young lady was up with a 2-1 count and hit the ball and it drove straight down and back up into her leg. I immediately called it a foul ball (she was in the box). Everyone was all excited for her as she ran as fast as she could down the line and made it to first. It turns out that she had never actually contacted the ball in all of her previous attempts. It was the right call but man was it unpopular.

She struck out swinging on the next pitch.

:(

sjury

The Old Man
At the Special Olympics a few weeks ago, I was on the plate and a young lady was up with a 2-1 count and hit the ball and it drove straight down and back up into her leg. I immediately called it a foul ball (she was in the box). Everyone was all excited for her as she ran as fast as she could down the line and made it to first. It turns out that she had never actually contacted the ball in all of her previous attempts. It was the right call but man was it unpopular.

She struck out swinging on the next pitch.

:(

When she struck out did you do something like this? You heartless turd....:mad:

[ame]https://youtu.be/qSWWsadXzq8?t=24[/ame]

EAJuggalo

Addicted to Softballfans
I've made this call 3 or 4 times this year where I can hear the distinct sound of the double contact. Each time as I explained the call the manager's understood, every one said that "something sounded funny about that hit."

eddieq

The Great and Powerful Q
Had one tonight that the batter fouled almost straight up, but it clipped her helmet on the way back. Catcher caught it clean but it was foul as soon as it hit the batter. Defense team was on the third base side so they couldn't see it hit her. You'd think I personally robbed them of an out.

I think she K'd on the next pitch anyway.

joncon

Addicted to Softballfans
How often do you make calls based on the "thwack" of the glove coming before the "thump" of the foot on the base? You may not have seen the ball beat the runner, but you've allowed other information to be taken into consideration. .

Thank you!!! ^^^

I'm always advising umps to use their ears on those close ass calls. It's two distinct sounds. Just take a second to consider in which order you heard them.

NCASAUmp

Un-Retired
Had a double-tap tonight! Except this time, I could distinctly see that the ball was initially heading towards first base on the first contact, then went straight up the middle to the pitcher on the second contact. It all happened so fast that no one realized what had happened, but I could clearly see it.

Gotta love calling a foul ball on a hit that went straight to the pitcher. :eek:

EAJuggalo

Addicted to Softballfans
Had one in a tournament this weekend. The batter swung incredibly late, I heard the distinct sound and the hit went into left center. No question in my mind but the offensive coach went on a rant about he'd never heard that call before in all his years coaching. Then went and asked the UIC who told him it happens quite frequently in youth slow pitch tournaments.

BigSam

Addicted to Softballfans
That spin move is EPIC. :D

The double hit is rare, but you can CLEARLY hear it when it happens. Called it maybe 3 times in the last 5 or 6 years. Always a weaker girl batter for me. I call it a dead ball double hit, seems I should be calling it foul. Learn something every day.