ASA Double play throw hits runner

irishmafia

Addicted to Softballfans
SSUSA and our local ASA leagues have a rule that if you out going to second with less than 2 out you have to slide or get out of the way or it is interference.

Local rules are made by fools. Personally, I believe most to be outright idiots

rhound50

Rec Coed Superstar
The part that hasn't even been touched is the if you don't veer you have to slide, this is just a horrible idea. When you play tournaments or play leagues with people who know what they are doing its not a big deal, the runners know how to slide, the middle infielders usually know how to make a turn and keep themselves safe. But take that same rule to a rec league you have runners who don't know how or where they are sliding and you have middle infielders who don't have the technique to make the turn and get out of the way of the sliding runner. Instead of risking someone getting hit with a throw, you are now risking broken ankles (I've seen this twice and never want to see it again), broken legs or torn up ACLs.

EAJuggalo

Addicted to Softballfans
Is this the same call in USSSA?

Possibly, USSSA put it in writing this year that a runner who is obviously out must not obstruct any throws. The problem with this is the only clarification I'm getting is based on how close to the bag they are, not on time. So even on a quick turn the runner is supposed to be out of the way if they are out by more than 10 feet. That is what I got from my State UIC and area UIC.

stickin2j

Good clean family fun
Possibly, USSSA put it in writing this year that a runner who is obviously out must not obstruct any throws. The problem with this is the only clarification I'm getting is based on how close to the bag they are, not on time. So even on a quick turn the runner is supposed to be out of the way if they are out by more than 10 feet. That is what I got from my State UIC and area UIC.

Reference? I just checked the online book and saw nothing different than what has already been discussed.

Again, being in the baseline while in the process of running between bases should not be obstruction. Throwing your arms up in an attempt to obstruct the throw, or moving out of line and in to the direction of the throw is obstruction.

sjury

The Old Man
Reference? I just checked the online book and saw nothing different than what has already been discussed.

Again, being in the baseline while in the process of running between bases should not be obstruction. Throwing your arms up in an attempt to obstruct the throw, or moving out of line and in to the direction of the throw is obstruction.

You are right, it should not be obstruction, check the book again to be sure.....:biggthumpup:

BretMan

Addicted to Softballfans
The offense interferes, the defense obstructs, the offense interferes, the defense obstructs, the offense interferes, the defense obstructs...

JoeBraga

Manager
A veteran infielder should know that you should never make a throw directly down the basepath, if nothing else than to protect himself from a potentially sliding runner. This is one of the first things they teach middle infielders in baseball. On a throw from 3rd, the 2b should be coming across the bag and throwing on the inside of the baseline.

While I don't disagree with you from a softball perspective, almost no advanced baseball players come across the bag (unless the throw forces them). Look at Major League Players, they typically use the base as their protection and stand "behind it" (from the perspective of 1B) without any movement at all.

dtrotd

Coach
Absolutely NOT TRUE
I'm not sure which major league middle infielders you're watching but most SS swipe across the bag when getting the throw and fade toward one side or the other to throw to 1st
If the 2B is planted on the bag they use it as protection but when receiving a throw from 3rd or SS, they step inside to throw around the runner
Most major players will hard slide to try and break up the double unless they're out by a mile!

JoeBraga

Manager
Absolutely NOT TRUE
I'm not sure which major league middle infielders you're watching but most SS swipe across the bag when getting the throw and fade toward one side or the other to throw to 1st
If the 2B is planted on the bag they use it as protection but when receiving a throw from 3rd or SS, they step inside to throw around the runner
Most major players will hard slide to try and break up the double unless they're out by a mile!

Sorry, I meant 2B only. And I disagree, only when the player has a large amount of time do they cross the bag (typically). It is significantly slower to have your legs move than to remain stationary. Like this:
457275946-joe-panik-of-the-san-francisco-giants-turns-gettyimages.jpg

Obviously each player has their own preference and style, and not everyone does it the same, so I shouldn't have been as black and white in my original comment.

sjury

The Old Man
Comparing a MLB second baseman to an adult recreational slowpitch softball second baseman. Is apples to coconuts. In MLB they are all the same relative knowledge, skill level, and training.

You can't say that for most teams in slowpitch.

2TransAms

Droppin' 280 ft bombs
If C and RF is taken, 2B is the next spot to dump a mediocre fielder. "Uh....go play second base."

JoeBraga

Manager
Comparing a MLB second baseman to an adult recreational slowpitch softball second baseman. Is apples to coconuts. In MLB they are all the same relative knowledge, skill level, and training.

You can't say that for most teams in slowpitch.

I agree, and that was actually the first thing I said.

rhound50

Rec Coed Superstar
While I don't disagree with you from a softball perspective, almost no advanced baseball players come across the bag (unless the throw forces them). Look at Major League Players, they typically use the base as their protection and stand "behind it" (from the perspective of 1B) without any movement at all.

First off comparing Major League Baseball with softball isn't the same thing.
Watch a major league second baseman, even when he is using the bat for protection he is throwing inside of the base path because they don't want to hit the runner and not get the double play.

EAJuggalo

Addicted to Softballfans

PM inbound.

BigSam

Addicted to Softballfans
SSUSA and our local ASA leagues have a rule that if you out going to second with less than 2 out you have to slide or get out of the way or it is interference.

HAHAHAHA. What an absurd and terrible rule. F-

Possibly, USSSA put it in writing this year that a runner who is obviously out must not obstruct any throws.
Throwing your arms up in an attempt to obstruct the throw, or moving out of line and in to the direction of the throw is obstruction.

Please stop using the word OBSTRUCTION. Because...

The offense interferes, the defense obstructs, the offense interferes, the defense obstructs, the offense interferes, the defense obstructs...

^ THIS. Seriously. It isn't that hard.

Also, please note:

BASE LINE - the line between each base
BASE PATH - the line between a runner and a base at the time of a play

The first 25 or so posts in this terrible thread used base path when they clearly meant base LINE. And they are very different. As for the OP, I think we've established by now that hitting the runner with a thrown ball on the turn is just bad infielding. You don't get a free out for being bad.