Drinking and playing

r8dr_rider

in the league I play in most of the guys like to drink before during and after the game. And the beers aren’t your Miller Lites, they are some high ABV IPAs and what not. Problem is after a few my fielding goes to ****. This last game I dropped a line drive in LF and couldn’t grab a grounder when playing SS. But yet my hitting was solid, even better then sober! What gives? Who else sees a difference in play when drinking?

Normy

Leave the beverages til after the game. Does more bad than good imo. I won't be asking a player who's been subbing for me on the mound back this fall. He just about got his head taken off last game by a liner and almost started a fight between the teams. Slows your reflexes and causes drama.

To answer your question...I've never tipped any before the game. Just observed those who have and most of the time it resulted in errors, tempers and injuries.

Rooster210

P-Pumpah #1
there's some guys on the teams I play for that have a couple in their system when we play. they say it helps the jitters when batting???

JWE

Addicted to Softballfans
Most guys I know drink while their playing . Maybe not as much in all day tournies but definitely in all league play. Doesn't affect their playing one bit . In fact their probably better cause of it . I personally hit better and even field better except fielding under the lights if I've had one too many it's harder to judge the fly balls in outfield. Of course i'm talking normal drinking and not 4 or 5 32 ounce tubs in.

Normy

Most guys I know drink while their playing . Maybe not as much in all day tournies but definitely in all league play. Doesn't affect their playing one bit . In fact their probably better cause of it . I personally hit better and even field better except fielding under the lights if I've had one too many it's harder to judge the fly balls in outfield. Of course i'm talking normal drinking and not 4 or 5 32 ounce tubs in.
Hence "beer league" I suppose. Everybody is different and there's always an exception to the rule. If the guys i have watched stopped at 1 or 2 beers before the game, maybe it wouldn't be such a detriment.

beernbombs

Abby's dad
1 or 2 before the game, 1 or 2 during the game, 4 or 8 after the game. That's league. A few guys will have a beer in the dugout, most wait til after, some don't drink at the park at all. Haven't played a tourney in quite a while, but used to have a drink in the morning and a few beers throughout the day.

I don't think I'd take anyone who said they won't play with drinkers very seriously.

huzzdog

retired
1 or 2 before the game, 1 or 2 during the game, 4 or 8 after the game. That's league. A few guys will have a beer in the dugout, most wait til after, some don't drink at the park at all. Haven't played a tourney in quite a while, but used to have a drink in the morning and a few beers throughout the day.

I don't think I'd take anyone who said they won't play with drinkers very seriously.
shocking given your user name

goldglover79

Nc Vinci player rep
guy i knew in college would snort that stuff. he'd be walking around the party with blue boogers dripping out of his nose.

he would also stick ecstasy pills up his butt to get the effect quicker. so take that for what it's worth

LMFAO!!!!!

basilray

If I'm pitching, I won't drink until after the game.

If I'm playing elsewhere (rare lately - mostly because I'm not playing as much as I'd like) I might have one or three light beers throughout the game.

EdFred

every day I'm shovelin'
I've recently discovered that having a few beers during the game turns me into Vladimir Guerrero while hitting, but with batting gloves.
So you swing at pitches that bounce in front of the plate?

Back on topic: All the fields around here are alcohol-free. And they will bounce ya if they see it.

1 beer before the 1st game. That's Chise's good luck superstition. It's all downhill from there!!! But seriously, it depends on what we're playing for. If it's the standard T-shirts /hoodies/dri-fits, I'm not gonna take it as serious as if we're playing for Cash/Bats/Rings...etc.
Tourney time is escape the family & hang w/the bros time. Just tell your boys not to get sloppy drunk until after the tourney.

Redsfan

I personally can't play when I'm drinking but I've had several former teammates that couldn't function without several beers in their system. A couple of them were terrible without it but became pretty decent players when drunk.

AH23

Addicted to Softballfans
I'll have one or two before the game (unless pitching then only one). If running around the outfield may even have another one or two in the hydroflask during the game.

AH23

Addicted to Softballfans
So you swing at pitches that bounce in front of the plate?

Back on topic: All the fields around here are alcohol-free. And they will bounce ya if they see it.

That's the beauty of pouring into different container. Hydroflask, tall Rockstar can with the twist lid.....

J2009

Boom !!!!!
big tourney maybe 1 or 2 between games, backyard deal thats all day maybe like 20 beers depends if the other teams suck or not lol.