Dropping bat during pitcher delivery

Country469

Joker said no way you can get a put out with having a ball put in play.

Pitcher throw ball one in freedom.

walks behind mound arguing with ump. Runner on 2nd takes off to third. Pitcher whirls around and throws him out. No ball ever "put in play" like he is suggesting.

NCASAUmp

Un-Retired
Totally different ruleset, and couldn't care less what Freedom does. I don't call for their association, so I don't know their rules. OP was asking about USA Softball (ASA).

-Six-

Weiner
Right thats the stealing rule..........But say a pitcher is standing behind the rubber holding the ball. Its live. The play is dead, but its never really dead until the pitcher takes the rubber and addresses the batter.
then last play hasn't ended yet Until the umpire called time. then runners gotta be on base and the pitcher should be returning to the mound to keep things moving.

jbo911

Super Moderator
Staff member
My catcher is going to be happy he's getting credit for all my strikeouts. Who gets credit in foul outs? The fan that throws the ball back in?

Ball isn't live until it's pitched, but is somehow live while not being part of a play. Catcher gets credit for the play on a strikeout, but my statement of these rules are dumb is somehow being argued.

NCASAUmp

Un-Retired
I'm just amused that you're arguing against umpires calling BS outs. :)

The only result of an offensive interference call that prevents the defense from making a play is to call someone out. Not a strike, but an out.

jbo911

Super Moderator
Staff member
when is it live when not part of a play?

your statement is dumb
You said it isn't live until it's pitched, but a pitch is not a play. Therefore a ball is love for the entirety of it's flight without being a play.

jbo911

Super Moderator
Staff member
I'm just amused that you're arguing against umpires calling BS outs. :)

The only result of an offensive interference call that prevents the defense from making a play is to call someone out. Not a strike, but an out.
I'm not saying anything of the sort. I'm saying the way the game defines a play, as you and Irish and joker are starting it is defined, is stupid. A strikeout isn't a play. A homerun isn't a play. It's just dumb.

For the fourth time, I'm not saying you're wrong. I'm saying it's dumb.