Dropping bat during pitcher delivery

ichiromoco

Addicted to Softballfans
ASA slowpitch. Besides being obnoxious is this allowable or disallowed by any rule? 3-1 count batter just drops bat and starts toward 1st base during delivery

Country469

I would think you'd have to at least have one foot in the box or something like that. Anything remotely lose to a strike is gonna be called in that situation 99% of the time doe.

ureout

The Veteran
ASA slowpitch. Besides being obnoxious is this allowable or disallowed by any rule? 3-1 count batter just drops bat and starts toward 1st base during delivery

well since he was heading to 1st... I would call a strike on him unless the ball hit the plate or was realllllly out of the strike zone...with him gone you really have no strike zone to call

MarlSrSoftball

Into Semi-Retirement Still activebut not League
I think that I would just stand there and wait for him to get back into the box. Interesting situation though. Got to look thru the rule book. There must be something to cover this.

ichiromoco

Addicted to Softballfans
it was during the delivery and really just bat dropped and start move towards first. the bat drop threw off the pitcher..

jbo911

Super Moderator
Staff member
Lol. If that throws off the pitcher mid delivery then it's no wonder he was walking everyone.
It would throw off every pitcher who'd never seen it. Maybe not enough to cause a ball, but I'd wager more often than not it would.

I assume he waited until the ball passed him to head to first?

ichiromoco

Addicted to Softballfans
dropped the bat during delivery and started moving towards first as ball was in air towards plate after release. hardly out of box when ball landed short but was definitely moving towards first. was in box at time of delivery. pitcher was irritated to say the least. hadn't walked many either in the game.

single wally

Professional Amateur
Was it a RH batter walking across the box as the pitch came in or LH batter? Not sure if that matters but a RH batter obstructing the ability of the ump's view of the pitch seems like a problem. **** move regardless.

During the delivery is a bit early. I'm not sure why you'd want a rule meant to prevent that.

Dropped the bat and left the box several times while an obvious ball was still on it's way. With guys holding the bat upside down, pointing it, or mocking a rocket launcher move, I never considered dropping it early high on the douchery level. But I still learn about things that bother people.

irishmafia

Addicted to Softballfans
Excuses galore, nothing valid.

Why does anyone care? Good for the batter, that means he will only get 1B and nothing more. The umpire should call the pitch whatever it is, nothing more, nothing less

milesej05

The Rookie

Why does anyone care? Good for the batter, that means he will only get 1B and nothing more. The umpire should call the pitch whatever it is, nothing more, nothing less

Spoken for truth. Not sure why this thread even deserved to have this many responses.

Country469

If he's left his normal stance by the time the ball arrives, that leaves me no choice but to call a strike if I think it is remotely close to a strike.

NCASAUmp

Un-Retired
I wouldn't do that. Temptation would be high, but I'm not going to call a ball a strike just because the batter's a douche.

Sully

Wanna buy jerseys/rings?
No, but I could see calling something that might have been borderline a strike with no batter to reference.

jbo911

Super Moderator
Staff member
I wouldn't do that. Temptation would be high, but I'm not going to call a ball a strike just because the batter's a douche.
People do it in league here all the time. I guess the umps feel they're showing them up by heading down to first without their say so. Either way, I think they're both being douchey and I can't see me ever doing either. It doesn't bother me though. When people hang out over the plate like morons because it's three one I usually throw the ball behind them, then laugh when they start yelling that I'm struggling from first.

EdFred

every day I'm shovelin'
that's what i was gonna say. if all else fails, call it a swinging strike

Doesn't (one of the association) the rule book(s) define one of the strike possibilities as a swing with intent to hit the ball? If so, dropping the bat in this case wouldn't be a swing with intent to hit the ball.