Dudley Thunder ZN hard core Pro M

TWmccoy

3DX Connoisseur
Interesting to hear.....bc in NJ we hit **** balls that he supplies.....1 per game then once hit out of play, some 3 year old ball that is worse than what's found in most BP buckets. Constant complaints about UTrip balls in NJ. #cheapAF

Teams should supply their own balls for tournies. That's how it's been here in CO for years now. Back in the days when the TD supplied balls it was exactly as you describe... 1 new ball per game, followed by absolute dog **** used balls.

ilyk2win

Addicted to Softballfans
Teams should supply their own balls for tournies. That's how it's been here in CO for years now. Back in the days when the TD supplied balls it was exactly as you describe... 1 new ball per game, followed by absolute dog **** used balls.

I'm a big advocate of that as well and have been suggesting it for years. There are other problems associated with that method too. Case in point the restitched ball saga from earlier this year. Balls being stored in coolers. "Slipping in" the wrong ball "accidentally." To name a few

LaserArm

Addicted to Softballfans
Interesting to hear.....bc in NJ we hit **** balls that he supplies.....1 per game then once hit out of play, some 3 year old ball that is worse than what's found in most BP buckets. Constant complaints about UTrip balls in NJ. #cheapAF
The Minnesota USSSA director and your New Jersey director must have went to the same tournament school. We get synthetic cover balls that are so they are barely optic yellow anymore. Sucks for night games playing with a gray ball.

jbo911

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dude just posted on fb that he has gsl hard cores so this is about to get really interesting.

TWmccoy

3DX Connoisseur
Dude just posted on fb that he has gsl hard cores so this is about to get really interesting.

Let's put it this way.... ZN hard cores will make any Gold Dot seem like child's play. The balls are rock hard and fly like missiles.

I know GSL Gold Dots are known for being good, but hard cores are better.

jbo911

Super Moderator
Staff member
I was also under the impression that when gsl and utrip merged that the gsl balls were exclusively worth. It makes sense that wouldn't be an exclusive thing anymore, just a little surprised at the timing if it's true.

Slim45

Played against a team in league last night who brought these out, and was the first time I had seen them. Even though it was an 8:30pm game, it was still over 80 and humid with a heat index in the 90s after the game in KC. The hard cores were flying for them as good as any classic m does when it gets below 60. The team using them even knew what they were doing because once they were out of home runs they started using classic m balls to keep it in the park.

Our league is pretty low level (anyone playing tourneys regularly is not playing a Sunday night league) and I am afraid if this becomes a dominant ball used it's going to lead to more injuries. Too many guys out there who can put a decent swing on the ball from time to time but can't control where they hit it.

TWmccoy

3DX Connoisseur
Played against a team in league last night who brought these out, and was the first time I had seen them. Even though it was an 8:30pm game, it was still over 80 and humid with a heat index in the 90s after the game in KC. The hard cores were flying for them as good as any classic m does when it gets below 60. The team using them even knew what they were doing because once they were out of home runs they started using classic m balls to keep it in the park.

Our league is pretty low level (anyone playing tourneys regularly is not playing a Sunday night league) and I am afraid if this becomes a dominant ball used it's going to lead to more injuries. Too many guys out there who can put a decent swing on the ball from time to time but can't control where they hit it.

My team used hard cores (and Tattoo) Pro Ms for a tourny Sat. Weather was in the mid 90s. Heat didn't even faze the hard cores a bit. They feel hard AF and jump off the bat. I cut one ball like 12' off the ground that went 330'. Any lesser ball it's staying in the yard.

For CO hard cores are just too much ball. I'm seeing even weak hitters put them over 300' fences easily.

TWmccoy

3DX Connoisseur
I was also under the impression that when gsl and utrip merged that the gsl balls were exclusively worth. It makes sense that wouldn't be an exclusive thing anymore, just a little surprised at the timing if it's true.

I've seen Demarini GSL balls. They're good performers, too. I've hit them in BP.

TWmccoy

3DX Connoisseur
GSL hard cores exist. I saw a pic of them online. They're also Pro Ms. When I go to Viera in Oct I'll see if I run across any of them.

D-ROCK13

Hit the hardcores again in a weekend tournament. Stupid hot balls all day, but when the sun went down and the Temps got into the 50s, holy crap, scary exit velos and distance. it was a banana ball type tournament and they supplied the balls and allowed all bats, senior bats and these balls are absolutely ridiculous. Also noticed these had no association stamp on them, not sure about the last ones we hit

Slim45

We finally tried these out as other teams in our league have been using them and didn't want to be outgunned. It was around 80 in the evening during our games. Our team is not good enough to use these as we hit so many accidental home runs on the 300' fields that we had to throw the classic Ms back in. We have a few guys that will hit a classic M out once every few years in the spring when it's cold out that were hitting no doubters. The added distance using these is very noticeable.

My question has always been, all associations banned the TA's however many years ago knowing they were cheating the compression testing. So why is USSSA allowing basically the same technology now?

jbo911

Super Moderator
Staff member
That's an excellent question. I found the gsl stamps ones at a retailer and got some for worlds.

I hate the arms race aspect of softball, but it's a reality you can't ignore. Also, I'm don't taking the high road. They won't do anything until the problem gets too big so I'm joining in making the problem as big as I possibly can instead of sitting on the side lines waiting for cooler heads to prevail. I am NOT drilling pitchers to force their hands, however I often feel like it will have to come to that before anything is done.

Slim45

I pitch and got hit by one this week. Luckily I got glove on it first so I just have a big bruise on my thigh. They definitely get to me quicker than a classic M does.

I am worried in our league because it's very much a rec league where only one or two teams play any tourneys. We are one of the best non-tourney playing teams, that's not saying much, so it's very seldom we hit anything hard near the pitcher. There is a lack of bat control by most teams, but it's usually okay since in Missouri summers most of the guys can't hit it hard enough to do much damage with a classic M. This ball will change that though if some of those teams start using it.

TWmccoy

3DX Connoisseur
We finally tried these out as other teams in our league have been using them and didn't want to be outgunned. It was around 80 in the evening during our games. Our team is not good enough to use these as we hit so many accidental home runs on the 300' fields that we had to throw the classic Ms back in. We have a few guys that will hit a classic M out once every few years in the spring when it's cold out that were hitting no doubters. The added distance using these is very noticeable.

My question has always been, all associations banned the TA's however many years ago knowing they were cheating the compression testing. So why is USSSA allowing basically the same technology now?

I asked the same question when I started this thread. I have NO CLUE why USSSA has suddenly decided that multilayer balls are OK again.

My thoughts on hard cores haven't changed. They are WAY too much ball with ANY bat. Exit velos and distance are ridiculous. I also don't like playing OF when hard cores are being used. I got burned bad a few times. You have no time to react and judge these balls. They zip over your head almost instantly.

On 300' fields hard cores are absolute insanity. Last tourny I played no one could keep the ball in the yard. Tons and tons of DBOs. Guys were going 400' oppo.

jbo911

Super Moderator
Staff member
No reviews from me, as they ****ed me again. Can only hit Worth gold dots. Why do they approve demarini and Dudley balls and then tell us on the Tuesday before that we can't use them? Absolute bull****.

I guess they want to make sure that everyone quits softball. If you're hard headed and want to keep playing despite the questionable equipment they'll run you out with bs rules and politics. Man I wish we had something else around here. I hate utrip.

TWmccoy

3DX Connoisseur
No reviews from me, as they ****ed me again. Can only hit Worth gold dots. Why do they approve demarini and Dudley balls and then tell us on the Tuesday before that we can't use them? Absolute bull****.

I guess they want to make sure that everyone quits softball. If you're hard headed and want to keep playing despite the questionable equipment they'll run you out with bs rules and politics. Man I wish we had something else around here. I hate utrip.

That sucks. IDK why all these places are so specific about which brand of ball you use. Around here you can use any Pro M regardless of brand.

FWIW, you would have enjoyed hitting the hard cores. They easily outdo any Gold Dot I've ever seen.

TWmccoy

3DX Connoisseur
So, I found an NSA Icon hard core in GA last week, and I hit it today. I don't think there's really a difference between a Pro M and an Icon ball, but the Icon hard core definitely performs well. Same hard feel and big time distance.

jbo911

Super Moderator
Staff member
I'm officially on the fence about these.

In league the past two weeks we've hit them, and one of our opponents had one to hit as well, and in the cool temps I didn't find them to be that amazing. I assume they really separate themselves in the heat. In ga that's how it was with the mct balls. I could barely tell any difference between them and a decent ball in the cold, but they were much better in the heat.

If they replace stadiums with these I don't think that's a terrible idea. I don't think they're exactly a nice in the right direction, but I do personally still prefer 44/375 to the classic Ms so I'm on the fence about if if support banning the Ms of it meant everyone could hit hard cores all the time.

I think I'd pick the hard cores over the Ms here personally because of how much we play in the cold.

TWmccoy

3DX Connoisseur
I'm officially on the fence about these.

In league the past two weeks we've hit them, and one of our opponents had one to hit as well, and in the cool temps I didn't find them to be that amazing. I assume they really separate themselves in the heat. In ga that's how it was with the mct balls. I could barely tell any difference between them and a decent ball in the cold, but they were much better in the heat.

If they replace stadiums with these I don't think that's a terrible idea. I don't think they're exactly a nice in the right direction, but I do personally still prefer 44/375 to the classic Ms so I'm on the fence about if if support banning the Ms of it meant everyone could hit hard cores all the time.

I think I'd pick the hard cores over the Ms here personally because of how much we play in the cold.

In hot or cold weather I've found hard cores to be dramatically better than any other Pro M I've seen. They come off the bat harder, fly in a more piercing manner, stay in the air way longer, and fly much further.

Hard cores do seem to suck if aren't spinning the ball well. They knuckle and side spin all over the place.

If you're someone who cuts the ball or naturally hits with sidespin you'll find that hard cores are exceptional. They take off like golf balls and cut effortlessly through the air.

The ball is easily good enough to replace stadiums.

jbo911

Super Moderator
Staff member
In hot or cold weather I've found hard cores to be dramatically better than any other Pro M I've seen. They come off the bat harder, fly in a more piercing manner, stay in the air way longer, and fly much further.

Hard cores do seem to suck if aren't spinning the ball well. They knuckle and side spin all over the place.

If you're someone who cuts the ball or naturally hits with sidespin you'll find that hard cores are exceptional. They take off like golf balls and cut effortlessly through the air.

The ball is easily good enough to replace stadiums.
I'm sorry, I meant compared to classic Ms. I agree that they're better than the recent pro Ms, but that's largely because those aren't as good as 44/375s used to be.

Pro Ms have all been close to pro tac wsl balls in my experiences. More than enough performance for today's bats, but nowhere near as good as old 44/375s.