Dumb strategies

TRaj2327

putting your best power hitter batting 1st (because he'll have more at bats). lol worst strategy ever unless its an open bomb tournament. Guy always ends up hitting a solo homer first AB

In GSL where you have the designated HR hitter it's not a terrible strategy. Personally I think the 2-spot is better though, and anything past the 3 spot is too far down the order and you may not have another big bat after him. In GSL, if you walk the DHH you get a free bomb until the next time he comes up.

Another bad one is guys that try to go yard with runners at 2nd and 3rd with less than 2 outs. That ball MUST go through the right side.

MarlSrSoftball

Into Semi-Retirement Still activebut not League
The one that gets me is when I want to intentionaly walk a good power hitter (we have to throw one strike before we can walk him) I just tell him to go to 1st. Players will holler at me just throw hit 3 bad pitches. Why waste the time. If he was a batter that would swing at bad pitches I wouldn't be walking him.

thesteve

Addicted to Softballfans
Another bad one is guys that try to go yard with runners at 2nd and 3rd with less than 2 outs. That ball MUST go through the right side.
This reminds me of the fast guy that insists on pushing for bases even with two or three high average guys coming up right behind him.

TRaj2327

That's pretty bad too. I understand trying to stretch a double much more than a triple. If you're fast enough to get a triple or even consider it, then you're certainly fast enough to score from 2nd on a base hit. You've already taken the double play away, don't make a costly out.

MAYBE you do it in a tie game in the bottom half where a sac fly can win it. Even then you have two outs to get that man in. Just know the situation.

Calli4120

ASA Free Since 05
I've always wondered why teams put a shift on for left handed hitters but no one does it for right handed hitters. Are left handed hitters bad at going opposite field or what.

I play 3rd base at a very low level, but when lefties come up I always stay home when the rest of the team shifts. I take away a lot of base hits that would have gotten to the outfield with the standard lefty super shift.

zuke 37

Star Player
I was having a good tourney when I came to bat in the 9th.with 2 out and 2 on. We were down 2 runs.

I hit 2 balls that sliced over the firstbaseman's head that went foul.

Then they walked me.

With guys on base you got to, got to, got to hit to right.

It's like throwing a pass on 3rd and 18.

jrxp

Pull side Judy
I was having a good tourney when I came to bat in the 9th.with 2 out and 2 on. We were down 2 runs.

I hit 2 balls that sliced over the firstbaseman's head that went foul.

Then they walked me.

With guys on base you got to, got to, got to hit to right.

It's like throwing a pass on 3rd and 18.

The only thing u got to got to do is get a hit that's simple. Left field center field right field hit it to ur strength. More than likely if they hadn't walked u then u would have made an out. Game over

stork

Rocky Mountain Oyster aka DirtDog
My main strategy is not to make an out, especially the last out. Let someone else do that, spread the wealth.

billvp

Addicted to Softballfans
The one that gets me is when I want to intentionaly walk a good power hitter (we have to throw one strike before we can walk him) I just tell him to go to 1st. Players will holler at me just throw hit 3 bad pitches. Why waste the time. If he was a batter that would swing at bad pitches I wouldn't be walking him.

You have to throw a strike before someone is walked? What sense does that make? My crummy pitchers need that rule.

jaj23

Eye Baller
The only thing u got to got to do is get a hit that's simple. Left field center field right field hit it to ur strength. More than likely if they hadn't walked u then u would have made an out. Game over

Agreed. With 2 outs, a hit is a hit.

MarlSrSoftball

You have to throw a strike before someone is walked? What sense does that make? My crummy pitchers need that rule.

It is a long story. Basically the hot shots playing in the weaker div(who shouldn't be there) where complaing that they were getting walk all the time. So they come with a compromise that we had to throw one strike before we could walk them. The other part of the crazy rule is if you throw 4 balls they get to put a runner on first and the batter stays up.

Rocket13

Star Player
It is a long story. Basically the hot shots playing in the weaker div(who shouldn't be there) where complaing that they were getting walk all the time. So they come with a compromise that we had to throw one strike before we could walk them. The other part of the crazy rule is if you throw 4 balls they get to put a runner on first and the batter stays up.

Our league also uses the first rule you mentioned. No intentional walks without throwing a strike. Depending on the ump enforcing what an "intentional" walk is, it works to varying degrees.

As for getting to put a runner on and stay at the plate....thats's a strange one.

zuke 37

Star Player
Forgot to mention: I was intentionaly walked with 2 on and 2 out with an 0-2 count.

I went 11 for 12 in that tourney with 4 walks.

I'm a 3-4 or 5 hitter so I usually bat with guys on base, so I do hit to right a lot.

A hit to right moves all of the runners 2 bases as a hit to left One base is about all they get.

This isn't little league where pulling the ball is mocho bull ****

I do agree that a hit is a hit, but if you can deliver one to right, it is better. If you don't have the confidence to go to right
you have all winter to learn and practice, your team will thank you for it and you will thank me.

swingnmiss

#1 IN YOUR HEARTS
I played with a pitcher that would walk a guy, rather than throw him a strike. He'd tell me, "I'm not going to give in and give him a strike so he can get a hit........." I'd say, "Yeah, but if you walk him there is no chance he'll make an out. Even with really good hitters there's about a 25% chance he'll make an out. You walk him there's no chance. " He'd say, "I might give up a double instead of single though. Like now, I just gave up a single is all." "But, you gave up any opportunity of making an out.." Would be my reply. I could never get a grasp on that.

When a runner would leave early, the infielders would say to check him. He'd say, "Nah.......That's bush league. We don't do that....." So, we're just going to allow them to cheat huh?? :(

MarlSrSoftball

Our league also uses the first rule you mentioned. No intentional walks without throwing a strike. Depending on the ump enforcing what an "intentional" walk is, it works to varying degrees.

As for getting to put a runner on and stay at the plate....thats's a strange one.

It is a stupid rule. We have a BD who cater to the big shots like the league exist for them. Actually I was the cause of the rule as I would walk these guys every time up that men were on base.

TRaj2327

There are very few reasons where it may be ok.....

- Most obvious is if the game is on the line and first base is open. Walk them loaded if there is a man on 3rd already and it makes sense for who is due up.
- Maybe with a HR hitter up and the bases empty in an unlimited HR league or even a limited HR league and he's the only one that can hit them with a couple weaker hitters due up with 2 outs. With a HR limit you should be trying to get him to waste one here more than anything. 1 run won't really hurt you unless it is to end the game in slaughter.
- Or, same scenario and a man on first or second with 2 outs and you are REALLY confident you can get that third out in the next guy. But, by walking with a man on first you made it 1 hit to score a guy rather than most likely 2. First base open it's not as bad and maybe an easier decision. Most people wouldn't do it in this spot though as a 2-run normally isn't bad and you're setting up a 3-run. The 3's and 4's are the ones to avoid. 1's and 2's are what a defense hopes for.

There may be a few others. First one makes the most sense.

MaMaLuLu

Addicted to Softballfans
It is a stupid rule. We have a BD who cater to the big shots like the league exist for them. Actually I was the cause of the rule as I would walk these guys every time up that men were on base.

I understand from your point of view it's a stupid rule, but for the fat or injured guy who plays catcher and is only there for his offense, getting walked multiple times in a league game is pretty stupid too. On top of it in lower caliber leagues they'll choose to walk this guy in the worst situations possible, for example 3 homerun limit, super fast runner on 2nd base and nobody out, they'll freakin walk the guy lol. You can guess i was that guy at a certain time.

smarkley3

Certified Trap Hoe
I understand from your point of view it's a stupid rule, but for the fat or injured guy who plays catcher and is only there for his offense, getting walked multiple times in a league game is pretty stupid too. On top of it in lower caliber leagues they'll choose to walk this guy in the worst situations possible, for example 3 homerun limit, super fast runner on 2nd base and nobody out, they'll freakin walk the guy lol. You can guess i was that guy at a certain time.

Fat people can run too, LOL. I disagree with this, I am a good example of a player with limited ability and there are no special rules for me. It's really why you have lower levels of softball.

swingnmiss

#1 IN YOUR HEARTS
There are very few reasons where it may be ok.....

- Most obvious is if the game is on the line and first base is open. Walk them loaded if there is a man on 3rd already and it makes sense for who is due up.
- Maybe with a HR hitter up and the bases empty in an unlimited HR league or even a limited HR league and he's the only one that can hit them with a couple weaker hitters due up with 2 outs. With a HR limit you should be trying to get him to waste one here more than anything. 1 run won't really hurt you unless it is to end the game in slaughter.
- Or, same scenario and a man on first or second with 2 outs and you are REALLY confident you can get that third out in the next guy. But, by walking with a man on first you made it 1 hit to score a guy rather than most likely 2. First base open it's not as bad and maybe an easier decision. Most people wouldn't do it in this spot though as a 2-run normally isn't bad and you're setting up a 3-run. The 3's and 4's are the ones to avoid. 1's and 2's are what a defense hopes for.

There may be a few others. First one makes the most sense.

Of course, I can see certain scenarios..............But, he did it all the time.......ALL THE TIME!!! He would just say, "I refuse to give in and throw him a strike.........", or "If he wants to hit, he'll hit my pitch not his....." And gladly concede the walk.

jrxp

Pull side Judy
I played with a pitcher that would walk a guy, rather than throw him a strike. Even with really good hitters there's about a 25% chance he'll make an out. You walk him there's no chance. " He'd say, "I might give up a double instead of single though. Like now, I just gave up a single is all." "But, you gave up any opportunity of making an out.." Would be my reply. I could never get a grasp on that.

Let me update this stat.. Really really good hitters have a 50-50 chance of getting a hit. It's either hit or out. Players make outs. People lose ask Ronda rousey

swingnmiss

#1 IN YOUR HEARTS
Let me update this stat.. Really really good hitters have a 50-50 chance of getting a hit. It's either hit or out. Players make outs. People lose ask Ronda rousey

Really good hitters hit .750 or above.........So, you usually have a 1 to 3 chance, they'll make an out. Get what I mean.....?

MaMaLuLu

Addicted to Softballfans
Fat people can run too, LOL. I disagree with this, I am a good example of a player with limited ability and there are no special rules for me. It's really why you have lower levels of softball.

i think you totally missed my point.............

jbo911

Super Moderator
Staff member
Really good hitters hit .750 or above.........So, you usually have a 1 to 3 chance, they'll make an out. Get what I mean.....?

I think you mean a 1 in 4 chance of getting him out. A .666 hitter gets out 1 out of 3 times. :D

I'm a guy that walks more than most as a pitcher, and I can tell you the math is much more complicated than that. In my mind, it looks more like this...

Hitting his pitch he hits 800
Hitting my pitch he hits 400

Oops, it's 2-1, I'm still going to throw my pitch, but my pitch that's a strike 70% of the time, not my good pitch that's a strike 10% of the time that I throw when he has 2 strikes.

Oh crap, it's 3-1 and there are already two on and there's a really good hitter behind him, so I have to throw basically a meatball.

I don't like to be in that last scenario, so sometimes I'll still throw that borderline, 25% of the time strike call pitch to try and get him to reach because I'd rather face the next guy with a clean count and one extra runner on, than have to throw meat to this guy. I'm not saying I'm always right, but that's my thinking.

Yes, a walk is 100% indefensible. There is also still a chance that a batter will swing at a ball too though. I'm not saying I'm a world class pitcher by any means, but I'd put my opponents OBP up against most in my class, and I do it with those walks. It can make it hard when I join a new team that's used to having a meatball pitcher and they think any walks is a bad thing. Also, I'm trying to remember to add in the, my defense is losing focus because they're standing out there while I throw 5 pitches to every batter variable. Because of that I've started throwing more first pitch strikes.

swingnmiss

#1 IN YOUR HEARTS
i think you totally missed my point.............

I think you mean a 1 in 4 chance of getting him out. A .666 hitter gets out 1 out of 3 times. :D

I'm a guy that walks more than most as a pitcher, and I can tell you the math is much more complicated than that. In my mind, it looks more like this...

Hitting his pitch he hits 800
Hitting my pitch he hits 400

Oops, it's 2-1, I'm still going to throw my pitch, but my pitch that's a strike 70% of the time, not my good pitch that's a strike 10% of the time that I throw when he has 2 strikes.

Oh crap, it's 3-1 and there are already two on and there's a really good hitter behind him, so I have to throw basically a meatball.

I don't like to be in that last scenario, so sometimes I'll still throw that borderline, 25% of the time strike call pitch to try and get him to reach because I'd rather face the next guy with a clean count and one extra runner on, than have to throw meat to this guy. I'm not saying I'm always right, but that's my thinking.

Yes, a walk is 100% indefensible. There is also still a chance that a batter will swing at a ball too though. I'm not saying I'm a world class pitcher by any means, but I'd put my opponents OBP up against most in my class, and I do it with those walks. It can make it hard when I join a new team that's used to having a meatball pitcher and they think any walks is a bad thing. Also, I'm trying to remember to add in the, my defense is losing focus because they're standing out there while I throw 5 pitches to every batter variable. Because of that I've started throwing more first pitch strikes.

I'm wrong in thinking that a .750 hitter get three hits in every 4 at bats and makes one out for every three hits he gets?

jbo911

Super Moderator
Staff member
I thought you said one out of three. You said one to three, but you meant outs to hits and I thought you meant outs to ABs.

Fro Joe

Snowden is a hero.
These are four of the dumbest strategies I see in softball.

1. Guys playing against the fence. If your range extends beyond the playing surface it's of no benefit. Any triples or doubles you prevent are going to be completely offset by more singles dropping in front of you or even doubles in front of you.

2. Going for very low percentage throws to 3rd or home while letting the batter reach 2nd.

3. Going for the extra bag when you have such a low chance of reaching safely. Softball swings so much towards offense that you probably should only try for the extra bag if you have a 90% or higher chance of being safe.

4. Not rounding the bag in case of overthrows or bobbled balls.

Last edited:

swingnmiss

#1 IN YOUR HEARTS
4. Not rounding the bag in case of overthrows or bobbled balls.

I played with a dude notorious for that..........Hit the ball jog to first, notice the bobble by the outfielder and then try to take two...Get thrown out. Halfass it from second to third, see the bobble and then try to score.......Get thrown out. Run hard, get a third of the way from third...........Drop it into low gear and not even look........The ball gets bobbled and he's stuck there.......I HATED WATCHING HIM ON THE BASES. IT GAVE ME HEARTBURN!!!!

Strawberry

Shin Killer
I played with a dude notorious for that..........Hit the ball jog to first, notice the bobble by the outfielder and then try to take two...Get thrown out. Halfass it from second to third, see the bobble and then try to score.......Get thrown out. Run hard, get a third of the way from third...........Drop it into low gear and not even look........The ball gets bobbled and he's stuck there.......I HATED WATCHING HIM ON THE BASES. IT GAVE ME HEARTBURN!!!!

There's always one... And that guy is a doosh