Durability and warranties with ASA Only's and 52s

vlcmstnaz

volcom stone az
I broke a J3A and Fu Dawg before we switched fully to 52s (periodic use with 44s). But now that we hit only 52s, I've experienced nothing more than a seem split on a '14 Juggy. My current Juggy and AM have tons of hits but continue strong week in and week out.

My question is, is the 1 year warranty unnessesary? Are people breaking ASA Only (or even dual stamp) bats using exclusively 52s? I'm starting to think I should stop worrying about returnable/NR, receipt date, etc. when I'm buying bats. Price, balls used, model, and weight are all that matters now?

vlcmstnaz

volcom stone az
^^^i know that. But leagues here (city, church, etc) have switched to 52s. So MY question is do I (not you or others still using 44s or other balls) need a warranty?

Joker

because bats can still break prematurely due to a factory defect with any ball

1four

Addicted to Softballfans
If you hit enough 52's, any bat will eventually break. We only hit them and some of our bats have broken. Warranty is a safe bet for your own protection.

figuringitout

Addicted to Softballfans
cracked two of my bats with balls hit of the end of the bat. Regardless of the ball that can happen.

The way I approach it is that I buy my gamer from a company and have a receipt. I then buy, sell and trade here for back up bats and look for deals. If a back up becomes a gamer then maybe I buy one from a company with a receipt. This way I get to have a return on the bat that I like the most and use in games and get to experiment with other bats and have back ups.

GrinningBear

World's deadliest house husband
Yes guys are breaking bats with .52's. Handles still snap above the grip. Inner discs still break loose and need to be warrantied because the majority of umps are going to toss that. Balls hold water. You catch a hard batch of Badens. Some guys just hit that hard.

chrometip78

The Hungarian Barbarian
It can and does happen but much less frequently than people just exchanging bats. Demarini's paint crack issue has happened to me regardless of ball or break in ritual. However, I don't believe the paint crack issue is really the bat breaking down, they still hit the same, it's just a problem if blue checks your bats. Easton has had problems with bats snapping at the handle, Z's seem to be luck of the draw, Mikens were occasionally spitingt out the inner sleeve or losing a knob. Stuff just happens.

Having said that, my preference is buying bats new or from an original owner I trust. NR or returnable doesn't matter as much to me, I want something that I'm reasonably sure wasn't messed with.

vlcmstnaz

volcom stone az
Sounds like most of you think the warranty is still necessary, but not for normal use / breakage, but for defects. Maybe I've been spoiled by DeMarini, but hey have always covered defects warranty or not.

Joker

the warranty is for defects, people abuse the system and use it for bats that break through normal use

1four

Addicted to Softballfans
What is normal use? How many cuts do you get? For $300 it had better be able to take all my BP and game swings.

philphan89

Addicted to Softballfans
sounds like OP is trying to drive up the prices of his NR bats.

I have seen them break especially in colder weather

vlcmstnaz

volcom stone az
sounds like OP is trying to drive up the prices of his NR bats.

I have seen them break especially in colder weather

I just bought a NR because the price was so good. Not trying to drive prices. Just getting opinions. I think there should be some added value in a returnable bat (if it comes with a real receipt). But how much is that worth now that we are hitting LC balls? I don't see nearly as many broken bats nowadays.

sjury

The Old Man
If bat warranties worked like tire warranties, you'd see returns drop 6000%. If you get two thousand hits off the bat and it cracks, is that a defect? I wouldn't think so, so maybe the bat manufacturer gives you $50 towards a new one, ofcourse they'd sell it at MSRP, and you'd get a NR for more then a NIW, but that's life.

THESHOE

Starting Player
I'd agree, maybe because I struggle to put 1000 within 12 months anyways.

But it would be nice if they honoured it on premature breaks.

Less than 100 and it breaks. Now you get an NR. for $300 that is a tough one to swallow man.

If bat warranties worked like tire warranties, you'd see returns drop 6000%. If you get two thousand hits off the bat and it cracks, is that a defect? I wouldn't think so, so maybe the bat manufacturer gives you $50 towards a new one, ofcourse they'd sell it at MSRP, and you'd get a NR for more then a NIW, but that's life.

Joker

I'd agree, maybe because I struggle to put 1000 within 12 months anyways.

But it would be nice if they honoured it on premature breaks.

Less than 100 and it breaks. Now you get an NR. for $300 that is a tough one to swallow man.

for $300 you better rethink where and how you buy bats

and that's what the warranty is for, premature breaks

THESHOE

Starting Player
Under 100 hits is not a premature break though, that's bad QC and shouldn't cost the customer their 12 month warranty.

Had I put 300-400 on it and it burst, I would take the NR and shut up.

Under 100 hits, there's a problem. I wouldn't even call that premature, that is called unfit for it's purpose man. Never saw that in a bat until this year. And I have swung many and many models.

Can you imagine if you shell $300 on a bat (which here you have to if you want a warranty and receipt) and both blow under 200 combined? You just spent that loot to have no bats come mid May to show for that $300. Awesome.

Demarini made right in my situation and didn't ding me the return. Everyone should be treated like this. Now I get to give an aftermath another go and see if it makes it into more hits. If this one breaks again, now I can take a NR and request another model stamped NR as by then i'd be convinced the Aftermaths have a design flaw.

Bat clearly had more than just a defect, it wasn't fit to be used to hit balls if broken in under 100 cuts.

Funny, because 4-5 years ago these companies would claim their product isn't performing top notch yet because it needs breaking in at that many hits....

and that's what the warranty is for, premature breaks

THESHOE

Starting Player
Well, then if this model isn't a complete turd, I shouldn't have to bother them again after this right?

If I do, I will be very glad they didn't ding me the first return, and I will ask for something else stamped NR as my final bat. :biggthumpup:

I think it's for the best that they use discretion on case by case like this one.

yes it is a premature break and the warranty is for manufacturer defects

sjury

The Old Man
How did it get to this? Every cheap ass softball player thinks they deserve two bats, and use a warranty for wear and tear instead of actual defects? You go to Best Buy and get a tv with a 2 year warranty. Do you go an try and break it in the 23rd month for a new one? maybe post an ad on Craigs list for a receipt after 36 months? I could buy the tv and watch it 2 hours a day, and you buy it and it's on 8 hours because you're kids watch Dora and the Wiggle's all day long, so it's not fair that you got your tv repaired and refurbished and I didn't because I watch it less? Warranties are for the premature breaks in 100 swings, or discs coming loose, paint flaking, compression fails, etc.... NOT for a guy to put 2000 swings on it in 50 degree weather, hitting 650s, and cracking it to get a new bat. A warranty is a guarantee by the company that it's without defect, not for normal use.

GrinningBear

World's deadliest house husband
I can see someone taking issue with someone taking his bat to an elm three days before the warranty is up, but curious as to why returning a cracked bat under normal use is screwing the bat companies. Cracking before the warranty period expires is listed under nearly every bat manufacturer's return policy. Not under 300 or 100 or 1/2 swings. If a bat cracks under warranty, it is replaced. There are stipulations, yes, but if a bat cracks within the warranty period it will be repaired or replaced. In print.

Not for Combat discs or Triad knobs or Mayhem handle/barrel divorces. A cracked bat that meets the stipulations is covered by the warranty.

Yes I'm being a douche about it. Yes I've gotten returns in years past that didn't meet the stipulations. But the bat companies are not a class full of ten year olds. They're smart enough to not get screwed enough to lose money.