Easton Biff! and Thing '22

TWmccoy

3DX Connoisseur
No one really talks about Easton bats anymore, so I figure I might as well. Got a couple cheap Eastons from SIS this winter. Both are USSSA 240 bats. Up to this point I'd only swung 1 other Easton 240 (blue Fireflex). It's OK, but nothing special.

Put about 20 swings on each bat with .52s. I don't usually BP gamers at all, but I figured I'd give these bats a gentle break-in and try to avoid early breakage.

Biff!- 12" barrel, composite handle. Dirt cheap ($69.99). 27.5 oz. Of the two bats this one was hottest. Buttery soft barrel. Everything off this bat feels good whether you hit the barrel or not. Very responsive. I'll go ahead and say this is a bat that does NOT need break-in out of the wrapper. For being a 12" barrel the Biff! has a large, forgiving sweetspot. Mis hits didn't lose much distance, and still felt really good. Handle on the Biff! has noticeable flex. I felt it on every swing, and I feel like the handle had a dampening effect at contact.

To put it mildly, this bat is hot AF. First swing out of the wrapper was about 375' (again, with .52s). It didn't slow down from there. Easy bombs, one after another. The Biff! is pretty endloaded, and swings a bit "sledge-y". The barrel comes through the ball effortlessly.

IDK what the Biff! compression tests at, but based on what I saw today it can't be very high. I doubt this bat will last very long before failing. It comes out of the wrapper on a freaking mission, and is, quite simply, an awe inspiring performer. IDK if I've ever swung another bat that started out this hot right away.

Thing- This is the endloaded Thing (blue/orange barrel). 27 oz. For being made at the same time as the Biff! these two bats are pretty different. The Thing has a rubber knob (which several other newer Eastons have). The knob is great, and helps to prevent slippage. The aluminum handle is stiff. Compared to the Biff! the Thing has zero handle flex. Honestly, I don't mind this bat having an aluminum handle. I don't feel like it affects how the bat hits one way or another. The Thing has a slightly smaller sweetspot than the Biff! despite having the same length barrel (12"). The barrel seems slightly stiffer, and this bat has a way less "mushy" feel at contact.

The Thing is noticeably less endloaded than the Biff! The bat swings fairly easy, considering it's supposed to be an endloaded model.

Overall I liked the Thing. It has a decent sweetspot, and plenty of pop. Despite being hair stiffer than the Biff!, the Thing hit just fine. Top distance was perhaps 10' shorter than the Biff!

From a compression standpoint I think the Biff! is going to be a problem. The bat is WAAAYYY too hot out of the wrapper. IDK what it tests at, but I'd be surprised if it's over 260. The Thing is stiffer, and would almost certainly test higher.

From a pure hitting standpoint both bats are good to very good. Both were dirt cheap as well.

I know Easton 240s don't get a lot of hype these days, but these 2 I hit today are really good performers. For what Eastons cost (practically nothing, other than the Tantrum), I'm surprised more people don't swing them.

Last edited:

TWmccoy

3DX Connoisseur
Some people spend $300 preordering bats and wait six months for them to be made and delivered. If people spent those six months working on their swing instead, $69 bats would hit just as well as those $300 LS bats that break in 30 swings.

IDK what a Tantrum swings like, but it can't be better than the Biff! was yesterday. IMO there is NO reason at all to spend more than $200 on a bat. Hell, I won't even spend more than $100.

If you're OK having last year's bats, you can find great deals all day long.

hitless45

Addicted to Softballfans
We should keep the cheap bat talk to a minimum on here, all the talk about the helmer hitman 44 in the seniors forums and the price went from $49 to $79 the following day or so. Easton may catch on and decide to hold ground on $129/$149 as did anarchy lol

jbo911

Super Moderator
Staff member
That biff has been tempting me, but I'm trying to avoid the really small knob eastons. I have the first yellow wham and it feels like I'm going to throw it every swing. It's uncomfortably small.

TWmccoy

3DX Connoisseur
That biff has been tempting me, but I'm trying to avoid the really small knob eastons. I have the first yellow wham and it feels like I'm going to throw it every swing. It's uncomfortably small.

The knob on the Biff! seems fairly standard. I didn't have any problems with it.

I never liked the old Anderson Rocket Tech or Techzilla knobs. Those were way too small.

TWmccoy

3DX Connoisseur
We should keep the cheap bat talk to a minimum on here, all the talk about the helmer hitman 44 in the seniors forums and the price went from $49 to $79 the following day or so. Easton may catch on and decide to hold ground on $129/$149 as did anarchy lol

Anarchy was where it was at last year. I bought 4 of them, and should have bought more. This year it was Easton. Anarchy didn't have any great deals this time around.

arther itis

payin' to get paid
The knob on the Biff! seems fairly standard. I didn't have any problems with it.

I never liked the old Anderson Rocket Tech or Techzilla knobs. Those were way too small.
There was a rubber piece sold that fit around the small knob of the Anderson bats to make the knob feel "regular". This rubber piece also fit the small knob Worth EST5E, EST23E, ESTLE & 3DXE.

jbo911

Super Moderator
Staff member
There was a rubber piece sold that fit around the small knob of the Anderson bats to make the knob feel "regular". This rubber piece also fit the small knob Worth EST5E, EST23E, ESTLE & 3DXE.
Dang! I have one I found in a drawer, but have two eastons with that knob. Wish you could still buy those.

lukeamdman

I also have a Biff! in 27.5. In the wrapper it was testing between 275-280. As I start to break it in I'll post how quickly the compression drops.

lukeamdman

I will say though, I bought a 12" Kapow! at the same time, also 27.5 and also testing at 275-280 in the wrapper. I have almost 200 cuts on it with Evil BP Rockets and it's still testing between 255-260. It's absolutely spitting fire.

The 27.5 12" Kapow! has a solid 1oz end load, and I'd rate the Biff! at .75oz. Still pretty stout end load but the Kapow! has more.

jhitman

I just checked on SIS's web-site and they do have it in stock, but only 27.5 ounce models. A little heavier than I am used to.

jhitman

No one really talks about Easton bats anymore, so I figure I might as well. Got a couple cheap Eastons from SIS this winter. Both are USSSA 240 bats. Up to this point I'd only swung 1 other Easton 240 (blue Fireflex). It's OK, but nothing special.

Put about 20 swings on each bat with .52s. I don't usually BP gamers at all, but I figured I'd give these bats a gentle break-in and try to avoid early breakage.

Biff!- 12" barrel, composite handle. Dirt cheap ($69.99). 27.5 oz. Of the two bats this one was hottest. Buttery soft barrel. Everything off this bat feels good whether you hit the barrel or not. Very responsive. I'll go ahead and say this is a bat that does NOT need break-in out of the wrapper. For being a 12" barrel the Biff! has a large, forgiving sweetspot. Mis hits didn't lose much distance, and still felt really good. Handle on the Biff! has noticeable flex. I felt it on every swing, and I feel like the handle had a dampening effect at contact.

To put it mildly, this bat is hot AF. First swing out of the wrapper was about 375' (again, with .52s). It didn't slow down from there. Easy bombs, one after another. The Biff! is pretty endloaded, and swings a bit "sledge-y". The barrel comes through the ball effortlessly.

IDK what the Biff! compression tests at, but based on what I saw today it can't be very high. I doubt this bat will last very long before failing. It comes out of the wrapper on a freaking mission, and is, quite simply, an awe inspiring performer. IDK if I've ever swung another bat that started out this hot right away.

Thing- This is the endloaded Thing (blue/orange barrel). 27 oz. For being made at the same time as the Biff! these two bats are pretty different. The Thing has a rubber knob (which several other newer Eastons have). The knob is great, and helps to prevent slippage. The aluminum handle is stiff. Compared to the Biff! the Thing has zero handle flex. Honestly, I don't mind this bat having an aluminum handle. I don't feel like it affects how the bat hits one way or another. The Thing has a slightly smaller sweetspot than the Biff! despite having the same length barrel (12"). The barrel seems slightly stiffer, and this bat has a way less "mushy" feel at contact.

The Thing is noticeably less endloaded than the Biff! The bat swings fairly easy, considering it's supposed to be an endloaded model.

Overall I liked the Thing. It has a decent sweetspot, and plenty of pop. Despite being hair stiffer than the Biff!, the Thing hit just fine. Top distance was perhaps 10' shorter than the Biff!

From a compression standpoint I think the Biff! is going to be a problem. The bat is WAAAYYY too hot out of the wrapper. IDK what it tests at, but I'd be surprised if it's over 260. The Thing is stiffer, and would almost certainly test higher.

From a pure hitting standpoint both bats are good to very good. Both were dirt cheap as well.

I know Easton 240s don't get a lot of hype these days, but these 2 I hit today are really good performers. For what Eastons cost (practically nothing, other than the Tantrum), I'm surprised more people don't swing them.
Was the one you are speaking about the 2022 or 2023 model??? They have both in stock on SIS and the 2023 is cheaper than the 2022.

Last edited:

TWmccoy

3DX Connoisseur
Was the one you are speaking about the 2022 or 2023 model??? They have both in stock on SIS and the 2023 is cheaper than the 2022.

Biff! is '22. Last I looked SIS didn't have any more of them. It's a blue bat with red/black writing. They don't have any more Things either.

D-ROCK13

I have the soft knob connel, clark, and helmer advanced. all were great straight out of the wrapper. soft but responsive barrel. They all sound pingy especially on miss hits at first, but after a round of bp they get that Crack sound and are great. only complaint is the normal flexy easton handle but they perform well. sold the blue thing, sounds different than the others and is much stiffer. after some break in its gas too though