ASA Error and effect?

FCC(SW)RET

Star Player
Situation was bottom of 1st inning, bases loaded, 2 outs. Batter hits a pop fly that the 2nd baseman attempts to field, but drops. Runner at third advances and touches home before the ball is recovered and any play is made at 2nd, runner at 2nd rounds third and runs towards home. Ball is recovered by another fielder, and they touch second, umpire calls runner from first out by force. Umpires says first runner scores, and second doesn't as the out at 2nd preceded him touching home. The visiting team appeals this to the umpire, but not until they take the field again after having had their at bat, the bottom of the 2nd inning. So, my first question is, isn't the original dropped ball then an error? I can not find any rules defining errors in the book, which I'll admit I have not read word for word tonight, but doesn't an error remove the force play at 2nd? And did the runner who crossed home before the ball was recovered score count?

Joker

no an error does not remove a force play. where did that even come from?

if the 3rd out is a force out no runs score

MaverickAH

So many things wrong.........

1. The umpire made an incorrect ruling. This is not a timing play. Since this was a misapplication of a rule, a protest should have been filed. No, the visiting team could not appeal a whole inning later.

2. If the runner on 1B was forced at 2nd for the third out, this means that no runs score on the play.

3. Even though the pop fly was dropped, an out on the force was recorded. This means that the drop was negated & no error is recorded. That's right, no error on the play.

4. If you were to give an error to anybody, give it to the dumbass runner on 1B who obviously didn't run out the play!

DeputyUICHousto

Addicted to Softballfans
Smh!

Situation was bottom of 1st inning, bases loaded, 2 outs. Batter hits a pop fly that the 2nd baseman attempts to field, but drops. Runner at third advances and touches home before the ball is recovered and any play is made at 2nd, runner at 2nd rounds third and runs towards home. Ball is recovered by another fielder, and they touch second, umpire calls runner from first out by force. Umpires says first runner scores, and second doesn't as the out at 2nd preceded him touching home. The visiting team appeals this to the umpire, but not until they take the field again after having had their at bat, the bottom of the 2nd inning. So, my first question is, isn't the original dropped ball then an error? I can not find any rules defining errors in the book, which I'll admit I have not read word for word tonight, but doesn't an error remove the force play at 2nd? And did the runner who crossed home before the ball was recovered score count?

How can you score a run when the third out is the result of a force out?

sjury

The Old Man
I'm not sure if this is a real situation or if it's from Wally World.

An error only matters to stats, batting averages and eras, so forget it.

It's a live ball.

The runner should have been running from first base on the hit, his fault, force at second.

Force out negates the runs scored, it's not a timing play like an appeal.

i didnt look up but a fielding error is often described as a play that could have been made by a fielder with ordinary effort. usually involving taking an incorrect route to a ball (usually a very short route), mishandling a ball with hand or glove, or an errant throw allowing a runner that would have been out to acquire a base or any runner or runners to advance to the next base.

if he still got the out at second your actually mistaken, the error is on the baserunner on first for not running with 2 outs when the protection of the infield fly rule is no longer in effect.