Face protection...

bdub24

Addicted to Softballfans
Just curious guys... I play ss and am moving to C class next week. What your thoughts about face protection. I've only played softball one year (baseball before that) and I see alot of mouth guards and face masks worn by infeilders @ this level and.. I took one off of the collar bone last week by an obviously "shaved bat".. so tell me is a face mask too much? is a mouth guard too little... is any of it nessary or will i just look like a DA??

Fatt_Tony_13

Fatt boy on a diet...
Just curious guys... I play ss and am moving to C class next week. What your thoughts about face protection. I've only played softball one year (baseball before that) and I see alot of mouth guards and face masks worn by infeilders @ this level and.. I took one off of the collar bone last week by an obviously "shaved bat".. so tell me is a face mask too much? is a mouth guard too little... is any of it nessary or will i just look like a DA??

Its as necessary as you think it is. If you dont feel comfortable without a mask then get one. You shouldnt worry about what other people think of how you look.

OhioHawk05

Banned User
face mask is alot cheaper than an ER visit and dental bill....who cares what you look like...at the end of the day you are in one piece and assume you have a job if not a family to go home to

No such thing as being too safe. If you can comfortably play with one go for it. I play in a far less skilled league and I've seen 3 faces shots. My teammate got hit on the forehead and had a concussion. Another guy needed a metal plate put in his cheek and the other guy broke his nose, quite bloody as you'd imagine. Being a pitcher, wearing a mask is something i consider all the time. If you can do it, do it.

TheJackal666

Silence....I keel you
Your glove is the best face protection you have. But, if you need more.....get whatever you feel comfortable wearing. Screw what other people think.

P.S. Since it was an 'obviously' shaved bat.....you did call it out right?

JJR12

Addicted to Softballfans
I took one off of the collar bone last week by an obviously "shaved bat"..

How can you tell it was "Obviously Shaved"??

You mean to tell us all that the field conditions had nothing to do with the bad hop?? Or was it a line drive that hit you?? If that was the case then you saying you weren't paying attention?? A little buzzed/stoned?? Yeah so nothing but a shaved bat could cause you to take one off the collar bone... If it were a legit bat you would have fielded that bad hop cleanly... :rolleyes:

But to answer the real question you had, most infielders I know wear a Mouth piece and a cup....

Macaway17

Star Player
Just do whatever makes you feel safe, like everyone else said, screw what other people think. I play third and will not step foot on the field without my mouthpiece.. and cup of course... There is a pitcher here, and after he started wearing a mask he became fearless and stops everything that comes near him!! I also work in the ER so I get to see the results of bad hops... and just bad fielders.... scares me into being extra safe...

jbo911

Super Moderator
Staff member
I would say I've seen about 6 masks at the D and below level down here, so I wouldn't think twice about wearing a face mask if you want to. People will say things, but at the end of the day who cares. I wear a helmet to pitch and it has helped my fielding. If you think a mask will help yours then definitely do it.

bdub24

Addicted to Softballfans
Your glove is the best face protection you have. But, if you need more.....get whatever you feel comfortable wearing. Screw what other people think.

P.S. Since it was an 'obviously' shaved bat.....you did call it out right?

I did not call it out!! where we play a having a shaved bat is VERY common, and I'm not a very out spoken person.. and what good would it have done?? besides cause an arguement?? ... the guy is so inadequate that he needed a shaved bat to get a hit, with this type of person he would have just denied it!

bdub24

Addicted to Softballfans

You mean to tell us all that the field conditions had nothing to do with the bad hop?? Or was it a line drive that hit you?? If that was the case then you saying you weren't paying attention?? A little buzzed/stoned?? Yeah so nothing but a shaved bat could cause you to take one off the collar bone... If it were a legit bat you would have fielded that bad hop cleanly... :rolleyes:

But to answer the real question you had, most infielders I know wear a Mouth piece and a cup....[/QUOTE]

Obviously this guy is not opposed to shaved bats!!
we were playing on a great surface.. and the hop would have occured without a shaved bat, but it was the hardest ball hit ive seen in 5 weeks and they guy was a buck-fifty, the team was notorious for having shaved bats.. thats how i knew.. and I dont drink! if it were a legal bat who knows.. who cares.. thats not what i was wanting to discuss.

TheJackal666

Silence....I keel you
I did not call it out!! where we play a having a shaved bat is VERY common, and I'm not a very out spoken person.. and what good would it have done?? besides cause an arguement?? ... the guy is so inadequate that he needed a shaved bat to get a hit, with this type of person he would have just denied it!
Then don't complain when you get hit. Just because shaved bat are VERY common don't make it right.

Frost

I'm on a boat *****
The hardest ball you've seen hit in 5 weeks of league means it's a shaved bat? That's funny. You should move to the OF.

JJR12

Addicted to Softballfans
Obviously this guy is not opposed to shaved bats!!
we were playing on a great surface.. and the hop would have occured without a shaved bat, but it was the hardest ball hit ive seen in 5 weeks and they guy was a buck-fifty, the team was notorious for having shaved bats.. thats how i knew.. and I dont drink! if it were a legal bat who knows.. who cares.. thats not what i was wanting to discuss.

Obviously you don't know me... Next...

What does a buck 50 have to do with how hard a guy can hit a ball?? Next...

If the team is notorious for using shaved bats, then why don't you take the balls off the mantle and use them and speak up??

Has it been proven that the team uses nothing but shaved bats?? Or is this nothing more than just an assumption??

and your comment on "If it were a legal bat who knows.. who cares.. thats not what I was wanting to discuss.." LOL.... IF it really wasn't what you wanted to discuss, or use as an excuse you would have just simply asked what face protection to use at SS and you would have left out the shaved bat comment... Like it was only because it was a shaved bat that you took a bad hop.. like your some kind of stud that fields all bad hops unless they are from shaved bats.... please.... :rolleyes:

bearski

Addicted to Softballfans
i have played c minor as a sub i never seen a mask but noones gonna pay your hospital bills or house note so thats up to you

wagon487

2016 Vegas Champs 60 Major
did anyone see the short stop for UCLA during the women's world series?
She had a face mask that was metal and just covered her eyes and nose.
Any clue where to get one?

Longball 28

Repping the Vinci
face mask is alot cheaper than an ER visit and dental bill....who cares what you look like...at the end of the day you are in one piece and assume you have a job if not a family to go home to

zactly right.

I would say I've seen about 6 masks at the D and below level down here, so I wouldn't think twice about wearing a face mask if you want to. People will say things, but at the end of the day who cares. I wear a helmet to pitch and it has helped my fielding. If you think a mask will help yours then definitely do it.

I have to agree with JBO here, if it makes you feel more comfortable and gives you that extra little bit of confidence then get it. I've seen guys use them before and become better fielders once they are used to it because it stopped them from the occasional flinch or head jerk to avoid being hit. Get it and see how you like it, you may hate it and feels very awkward trying to use it but it's your head and why not get it a little more protection..